The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 28, 2019, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Masochistic throw-in question

Lotsa kid hoops tourneys these days and was watching one (probably the problem ... ) Friday night and this happened:

B1 wins battle for a rebound as A1 loses body control and goes splat. No fastbreak underway so the play is whistled dead while Coach A comes out to to tend to injured 7th grader. Teams congregate before their respective benches.

A minute or so later, the shaken up player is walked off the floor and the officials hustle the players back onto the floor since there's been no timeout granted. Since A has the near bench and A2 mistakenly thinks his player hit the deck because he was fouled, he gets in place first, readies to receive the ball from the official and team B slowly trots back onto the court.

Ball is handed to A2 at about the 28-foot mark and he passes to A3 who drives furiously to his nearby basket and gets fouled by B3 in a bang-bang sequence. Tweet. Two-shot foul.

Stop. Officials realize why the play seemed so discombobulated and they seemed in the wrong positions: B should have inbounded, going long — not A. The nearest official stops everyone from setting up for the FTA and announces the ball was wrongly inbounded. Foul is wiped from the book and and play resumes with B inbounding from the previous throw-in spot.

It wasn't (yet) a correctable error per 2-10, but handled correctly?
Old Mon Jan 28, 2019, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 7-6-6: "When an official administers a throw-in to the wrong team, the mistake must be rectified before the throw-in ends."
Old Mon Jan 28, 2019, 03:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

No, you gave the ball to the wrong team. That is not a correctable error. You cannot correct this when the throw-in ends by rule. So you cannot just whip off the foul just because. Everything has to count and move on from that point.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 28, 2019, 05:14pm
AremRed

Are you also saying the teams are now going the wrong direction as well? Then you would have to march everyone to the other lane and shoot the attempted FT there....everything counts as if you were going the correct direction the whole time.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2019, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

No.

And there are officials who will ignore the rule (or flat out don't know it) and do what this crew did in the interest of doing what's "fair to the kids." Which is a cowardly way to officiate and just compounds the original mistake. I'd be pissed if I were A's coach and we had free throws taken away with no rules support.

And if I were an assigner, I'd suspend a crew that didn't follow the rule.
Old Mon Jan 28, 2019, 08:05pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
No.

And there are officials who will ignore the rule (or flat out don't know it) and do what this crew did in the interest of doing what's "fair to the kids." Which is a cowardly way to officiate and just compounds the original mistake. I'd be pissed if I were A's coach and we had free throws taken away with no rules support.

And if I were an assigner, I'd suspend a crew that didn't follow the rule.
Really? A 7th grade tournament. Nobody cares, and as an assignor you would be happy to have two warm bodies.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2019, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Are you also saying the teams are now going the wrong direction as well? Then you would have to march everyone to the other lane and shoot the attempted FT there....everything counts as if you were going the correct direction the whole time.
If the foul occurred while "shooting" at the wrong basket, you aren't walking to the other end to shoot unless you are in the bonus.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2019, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
If the foul occurred while "shooting" at the wrong basket, you aren't walking to the other end to shoot unless you are in the bonus.
Not sure where the notion came that the shot was at the wrong basket. Apologies if OP not clear enough. The throw-in was given to the wrong team, in front of its own bench during the second half -- in other words in its front court. FYI
Old Fri Feb 01, 2019, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
Not true...if the officials allowed the teams to go the wrong direction, everything shall count as if they had gone in the proper direction prior to the discovery of the mistake. As such, if the foul was a shooting foul it would be penalized as such even though it was at the "wrong" basket.

Going back the OP, others have already provided the proper remedy for the situation. It is an official's mistake and not a correctable error.
Old Sun Feb 03, 2019, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

The rules are flexible....depending on the circumstances, game, and environment you can do "anything" you want. The more structured/important the games the less "flexible" the rules. Do what is expected in Rome. If you don't like it don't visit Rome.