The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Bonus 1-1 situation

A common foul against team”B”
7th team foul..2man I’m T plays above 3pt circle and I freeze knowing we’re bonus at this point and point out my shooter and also signal 1-1 , opposite side of table ,As I report to table my partner lines players up and HE signals 2 shots as I report foul to table “I don’t see OR hear this.
A-shoots and hits rim that deflects directly to B- on the block NO one moves and B throws ball to my partner and he catches ball🤷*♂️.
“What If below”
1-He is out of bounds
2-He is in bound on the floor
Please input
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 07:41pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattReferee View Post
A common foul against team”B”

7th team foul..2man I’m T plays above 3pt circle and I freeze knowing we’re bonus at this point and point out my shooter and also signal 1-1 , opposite side of table ,As I report to table my partner lines players up and HE signals 2 shots as I report foul to table “I don’t see OR hear this.

A-shoots and hits rim that deflects directly to B- on the block NO one moves and B throws ball to my partner and he catches ball*.

“What If below”

1-He is out of bounds

2-He is in bound on the floor

Please input
Go to the arrow. The erroneous information provided by your partner led to the situation.

If both teams went for the rebound, meaning the erroneous information didn't lead to any issues, you could have played on.

Even if that one player kept the ball instead of giving it to your partner you'd still go to the arrow since the other team was at a disadvantage.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Go to the AP arrow. Casebook 8.6.1.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 07:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay (Otis Redding, 1968) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStateRef View Post
Go to the AP arrow. Casebook 8.6.1.
Nice citation BayStateRef. Thanks.

8.6.1 SITUATION: A1 is about to attempt the first of a one-and-one free-throw situation. The administering official steps in and erroneously informs players that two free throws will be taken. A1's first attempt is unsuccessful. The missed free throw is rebounded by: (a) B1, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another throw; (b) A2, with all other players motionless in anticipation of another throw; or (c) B2, with several players from both teams attempting to secure the rebound. The officials recognize their error at this point. RULING: In (a) and (b), the official's error clearly put one team at a disadvantage (players stood motionless and didn't attempt to rebound). Play should be ruled dead immediately and resumed using the alternating-possession procedure. In (c), both teams made an attempt to rebound despite the official's error and had an equal opportunity to gain possession of the rebound. Play should continue. (2-3; 2-10)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

And don't forget to tell/remind your partner not to put the ball in play without eye contact with you. Why is he administering FTs while you are still reporting the foul?
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 10:01pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
And don't forget to tell/remind your partner not to put the ball in play without eye contact with you. Why is he administering FTs while you are still reporting the foul?

Good advice.

Also, after reporting the Foul always communicate with L how many FTs are to be shoot before allowing him to administer the FTs.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 10:12pm
Courageous When Prudent

I pregame with my crew that we do not shoot free throws until the Trail turns and signals how many shots there will be. Of course pre-gaming and what actually happens once the game starts are two different things.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Fri Jan 25, 2019, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

I work with the same partner pretty much all the time. He did this ONCE.

Since then, we never do free throws until we are both ready and have made eye contact.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2019, 10:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

What's The Rush ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Why is he administering FTs while you are still reporting the foul?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
After reporting the Foul always communicate with L how many FTs are to be shoot before allowing him to administer the FTs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I pregame with my crew that we do not shoot free throws until the Trail turns and signals how many shots there will be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
...we never do free throws until we are both ready and have made eye contact.
It seems that, here on the Forum, once or twice every season we hear about one official administering a free throw before the other official has returned from reporting the foul the table. It probably shouldn't, but it still surprises me, confounds me, and amazes me every single time. What's the rush?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Fri Jan 25, 2019, 10:52am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It seems that, here on the Forum, once or twice every season we hear about one official administering a free throw before the other official has returned from reporting the foul the table. It probably shouldn't, but it still surprises me, confounds me, and amazes me every single time. What's the rush?
It's due to a lack of basic communication fundamentals. I would say more than 50% of my pregame touches on communication. I can't tell other officials how to officiate, but I sure as hell can set the tone for how we are going to communicate as crew.
Old Sat Jan 26, 2019, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond View Post
it's due to a lack of basic communication fundamentals. I would say more than 50% of my pregame touches on communication. I can't tell other officials how to officiate, but i sure as hell can set the tone for how we are going to communicate as crew.
amen
Old Sat Jan 26, 2019, 12:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

Out Of Style ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I would say more than 50% of my pregame touches on communication.
Nice to hear that you think that pregames are important, and that you actually do them. They have become less frequent around here lately, and are even becoming less stylish in our varsity games.

Old Sat Jan 26, 2019, 07:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Nice to hear that you think that pregames are important, and that you actually do them. They have become less frequent around here lately, and are even becoming less stylish in our varsity games.
It bothers me when I'm not the crew chief and we have a young U2 and the R doesn't think it's important to have a pregame.

It also bothers me when crew chiefs don't send out game confirmation texts/emails to the crew.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk