The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Coach starts game sitting outside coaching box

I have searched the forum, and checked the rulebook including the searchable digital version. Can someone please point me to where in the rulebook/casebook it talks about a coach who starts out the game sitting outside the box may not stand within the box? Am I imagining that being a rule??
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

You need to read the case book. If you aren’t, you are missing much. Reading rule book gets you 60 percent...10.6.1C
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
You need to read the case book. If you aren’t, you are missing much. Reading rule book gets you 60 percent...10.6.1C
I have read the casebook (and do so at the beginning of each season), thus knowing about this. I could not figure out where I saw it. Thanks for the reference.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
I have read the casebook (and do so at the beginning of each season), thus knowing about this. I could not figure out where I saw it. Thanks for the reference.
It’s a tough read..but try to read it all the way through...many times...You can’t read it enough...
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 01:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Seat Belt ???

Quote:
10.6.1C
Nice citation Big Cat. Thanks.

10.6.1 SITUATION C: The coach of Team B sits on the opposite end of the bench from where the optional coaching box is located. The coach rises only when permitted by rule. RULING: Legal. The coach is not required to use the optional coaching box even though it has been adopted by the state association. However, if the coach begins the game by sitting somewhere other than where the box is located, he/she may not use the box privileges any time during the game. The coach must begin the game in a position within the box if he/she wishes to stand when permitted under the optional coaching-box provisions.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 02:03pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Nice citation Big Cat. Thanks.

10.6.1 SITUATION C: The coach of Team B sits on the opposite end of the bench from where the optional coaching box is located. The coach rises only when permitted by rule. RULING: Legal. The coach is not required to use the optional coaching box even though it has been adopted by the state association. However, if the coach begins the game by sitting somewhere other than where the box is located, he/she may not use the box privileges any time during the game. The coach must begin the game in a position within the box if he/she wishes to stand when permitted under the optional coaching-box provisions.
This citation is moot in states which have adopted the 28' coaching box. Wouldn't be surprised to see it disappear from the case book in the near future.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 02:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Closer ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
This citation is moot in states which have adopted the 28' coaching box. Wouldn't be surprised to see it disappear from the case book in the near future.
Can't he choose to sit "closer" to the table than allowed with the box?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know what you mean/saying but it’s not moot. Coach has a lot more places to sit but many schools here have seats towards mid court..
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 03:03pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I know what you mean/saying but it’s not moot. Coach has a lot more places to sit but many schools here have seats towards mid court..
Are coaches allowed to sit in those seats that are above the 28' line? If a team puts chairs all the way to the table, is the HC allowed to sit in that seat next to the table?
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are coaches allowed to sit in those seats that are above the 28' line? If a team puts chairs all the way to the table, is the HC allowed to sit in that seat next to the table?
Sure, s/he can sit there... but if s/he does, s/he loses the right to stand throughout the game. Case play says it best.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's rhetorical, right?

By rule, I dont' think the coach can sit there.

Now, some gyms don't really lend themselves to a strict enforcement of the rule, but if the janitorial staff just put the chairs too close to the table, move them.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Game management decides where benches/seats allowed. If he/she sits there can’t get up. Not something I focus on during games..
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Game management decides where benches/seats allowed. If he/she sits there can’t get up. Not something I focus on during games..
I had a coach start sitting RIGHT next to the table (out of the box). He stood a few times to coach during the game, so whatever. But then he was standing to argue a call (inside the box). That was when I told him the rule and to have a seat. If he hadn't been complaining, I would've left well-enough alone.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That's rhetorical, right?

By rule, I dont' think the coach can sit there.

Now, some gyms don't really lend themselves to a strict enforcement of the rule, but if the janitorial staff just put the chairs too close to the table, move them.
I don’t think there’s a rule that says they can’t sit there...If game mgt puts benches there they can sit there...all game..,
Old Thu Jan 24, 2019, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
I had a coach start sitting RIGHT next to the table (out of the box). He stood a few times to coach during the game, so whatever. But then he was standing to argue a call (inside the box). That was when I told him the rule and to have a seat. If he hadn't been complaining, I would've left well-enough alone.
If a coach is one seat away I’ll let it be... if he’s more than one I will tell him you need to have your seat inside the box if you want to stand and coach.