The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 19, 2019, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Safety

Yesterday, there was a 4-game rivalry series between two local schools--girls jv, girls varsity, boys varsity, then finally, boys jv. For the two varsity games, the gym was packed to capacity. I was there solely as a spectator, not an official.

Apparently, because of the crowd, condensation formed on the ceiling during the third game (boys varsity) and dripped steadily onto the floor right underneath one basket. The two ADs sat on the bleachers under the basket, armed with towels, and did a quick mop-up every time--every time!--the ball went the other way. I don't know if the three varsity officials or the two refs for the final game (boys jv) expressed any doubt about the wisdom of playing under potentially dangerous conditions, but all four games were played, and although there were several slips, no one was injured.

Because of the risk, I'm not sure I would have played the final game; I would have suggested rescheduling it.

Anyone ever deal with this kind of safety-related dilemma? If so, how was the problem handled?
Old Sat Jan 19, 2019, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Sure. And, i fit can be dealt with, as in this instance, it really isn't an issue.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2019, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

With several players slipping, I'm not sure the solution was entirely satisfactory.

In any event, I was not asking opinions about how this situation was handled. Rather, I was really asking if anyone has gotten to a game and found an unsafe situation that could not really be remedied.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2019, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

I remember a D1 game with the University of Virginia playing someone at the Richmond Coliseum. The basketball court was laid down over the ice hockey rink. It was a warm, and unusually humid winter day. They had all the doors open.
Well the humidity and the cold floor did not mix well. After seeing numerous players slip and slide they called the game in the first half. Forget about state rivalry game or the television contracts, the player safety always should come first.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2019, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPete View Post
I remember a D1 game with the University of Virginia playing someone at the Richmond Coliseum. The basketball court was laid down over the ice hockey rink. It was a warm, and unusually humid winter day. They had all the doors open.
Well the humidity and the cold floor did not mix well. After seeing numerous players slip and slide they called the game in the first half. Forget about state rivalry game or the television contracts, the player safety always should come first.
IIRC it was a Big ten/ACC Challenge game and UVA was playing Michigan St and it as an ESPN televised game back in 2001

https://www.richmond.com/sports/coll...9bb30f31a.html
Old Sun Jan 20, 2019, 03:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
With several players slipping, I'm not sure the solution was entirely satisfactory.

In any event, I was not asking opinions about how this situation was handled. Rather, I was really asking if anyone has gotten to a game and found an unsafe situation that could not really be remedied.
Yes, about five years ago the home team had several fans from the student section imitate Lebron James and toss baby powder in the air before the contest.

The powder got into the air ducts and made the court so slick that we couldn’t play. Fortunately, the visiting school was only a mile away and we were able to shift the game to that location and play that evening. There was no possible way to play at the home school.
Old Sun Jan 20, 2019, 03:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPete View Post
I recall some hockey/ice situation as well a few years ago. It was an NBA game and the contest was cancelled due to excessive condensation. I’ll try to look it up.
Old Sun Jan 20, 2019, 03:59am
Official Forum Member

Here is the article:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.fa15180b8d2f
Old Sun Jan 20, 2019, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

I don't know if anyone questioned playing on the night I observed, but I'm sure there was pressure to get the games in, especially as it was a big rivalry night. And we do not have a league commissioner, who could be called for a decision.

If I were one of the officials, I would probably have felt compelled to go along, but with a caveat: "The first time a kid goes down, we stop the game."
Old Sun Jan 20, 2019, 12:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

John Doe Versus Richard Roe ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
"The first time a kid goes down, we stop the game."
Hopefully that kid's father isn't an attorney.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 20, 2019, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Hopefully that kid's father isn't an attorney.
I had a different, yet similar situation. My assigner had me be on call yesterday to do a girls' varsity game following the JV boys game I was assigned to. The game was cancelled and unconcerned multiple times within 2 days, including on the day of the game, so my assigner was unable to provide additional officials. My assigner had advised me to leave, so I called both coaches together before the game was supposed to start, and told them that the game would not be played, because I cannot officiate alone. The AD called my assigner again, but when my assigner called me back, I told her that I had "zero interest in working a one-person game, especially on short notice". I then undressed and left the school.
Old Sun Jan 20, 2019, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

I love one-person games, what a great workout!
Old Sun Jan 20, 2019, 10:50pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Hope You're Being Sarcastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
I love one-person games, what a great workout!
Not me. Especially at the upper levels. Just can't cover what's needed to do a good job.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2019, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
... I then undressed and left the school.

Old Mon Jan 21, 2019, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Yes, about five years ago the home team had several fans from the student section imitate Lebron James and toss baby powder in the air before the contest.

The powder got into the air ducts and made the court so slick that we couldn’t play. Fortunately, the visiting school was only a mile away and we were able to shift the game to that location and play that evening. There was no possible way to play at the home school.
We had a somewhat similar situation happen here a couple years ago, but it didn't get into the air ducts, rather just on the court. They had to pull out the floor scrubber and delayed the game by about 30 minutes, and this happened as both teams and officials were lined up for the opening tip.