The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 18, 2019, 01:26pm
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Makes no nevermind. College coaches check out fifth grader statistics and grandmother videographer game videos online all the time. You cost his daughter a full ride to Notre Dame and a lucrative career in the WNBA.

On a soccer forum I frequent, there is a "rep" button. I was looking for one here. This post sure deserves one!
Old Fri Jan 18, 2019, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
This is one where you may want to come in strong with a heavy whistle and yelling..."no shot, timeout!!!"

You want to being doing that as soon as you can before the ball goes in or misses. Then, you can hope that it goes in and the other coach will be thrilled you granted the timeout and the one that called it can't complain either.
Agreed!
Old Fri Jan 18, 2019, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

To grant this timeout I would need to clearly hear "time out" and know it was from the HC. If you blow dead, shot goes in, and coach said "five out" now I look like an idiot. It is just a strange spot and timing for a timeout. If you know basketball you expect these timeouts after made baskets or when a ball handler gets in trouble. Not when offense has the ball in scoring position. That can't be on you, that's on the coach. But by all means, if you are 1000% sure HC called a timeout while his kid is shooting a shot from the block, grant it.
Old Fri Jan 18, 2019, 06:53pm
Administrator

If the Ball is still in A1's hands when A-HC makes his request for a TO, we are required to verify that it was the HC that made the request. The Rules recognize the fact that the A1 could very well release the Ball on a FGA and the FGA could go completely through the Basket during the time period in which the verification is being made. Grant the TO. The Ball became Dead retroactively to the moment the TO was actually requested.

Case-in-Point: Decades (and I do mean decades) ago in a girls' VAR game, less than 30 seconds left in the game, Visitors are down by three points and have the Ball Table Side in its Front Court. I was the L, Opposite the Table, in a Two-Person Crew, when V-HC, who is standing behind the T requests a TO. I did not have a good look through the Lane to look for a HC making a TO request. In that split second that my partner turned to verify the TO request V1 launched a 3-Point FGA that did nothing by tickled the net for a game tying FGA, . The Visitors were whooping and hollering until we informed the Table the that Ball because Dead at the moment the TO request was made. After the TO the Visitor were able to take two 3-Point FGAs but neither of them were successful and the Visitors lost by three points.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jan 18, 2019, 08:09pm
Stubborn Member

He requested the timeout before the shot attempt... Give it to him. I don't care if fans scream at me or not, that's what the rule says so that's the way I'm calling it.

I'd much rather get yelled at after making the correct call than be yelled at after making the wrong one. In one case the rule book, my assignor, my peers, the state, and everyone else that knows or cares what the right call is will back me up. In the other case I'm alone on an island and could lose the confidence of my assignor, my assignor's peers, my fellow officials, and myself.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old Sat Jan 19, 2019, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
If the Ball is still in A1's hands when A-HC makes his request for a TO, we are required to verify that it was the HC that made the request. The Rules recognize the fact that the A1 could very well release the Ball on a FGA and the FGA could go completely through the Basket during the time period in which the verification is being made. Grant the TO. The Ball became Dead retroactively to the moment the TO was actually requested.

Case-in-Point: Decades (and I do mean decades) ago in a girls' VAR game, less than 30 seconds left in the game, Visitors are down by three points and have the Ball Table Side in its Front Court. I was the L, Opposite the Table, in a Two-Person Crew, when V-HC, who is standing behind the T requests a TO. I did not have a good look through the Lane to look for a HC making a TO request. In that split second that my partner turned to verify the TO request V1 launched a 3-Point FGA that did nothing by tickled the net for a game tying FGA, . The Visitors were whooping and hollering until we informed the Table the that Ball because Dead at the moment the TO request was made. After the TO the Visitor were able to take two 3-Point FGAs but neither of them were successful and the Visitors lost by three points.

MTD, Sr.
So if all of this is true, how much time did you and your partner put back on the clock?
Old Sat Jan 19, 2019, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

I had a similar scenario in a middle school girls game. Home coach calls timeout when his team is on a fast break. His team had control of the ball when timeout is requested, so I grant the request. SMH at that decision, because that doesn't show good basketball IQ.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2019, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
This is one reason, and it may seem silly, that I suggest never watching the ball/shot when TO are requested/granted. Same goes for fouls just before shots. Do not whistle a foul, or have a late whistle on a foul before a shot, and then track the ball with your eyes. Some interpret the make, and subsequent wave off, by you as being intentional/influential. It is as if you waited too long and then took something away. Officials do not do that of course but people seem to think that way.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2019, 08:41am
Esteemed Forum Member

No Shot ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
... never watching the ball/shot when TO are requested/granted.
I do this with the end of period shots that aren't released when the horn sounds. Once I make up my mind that the shot wasn't released on time, I turn to the table, wave my arms, and state, "No shot", I never know if the shot went in, or not, because it doesn't matter and I don't care, or want to appear to care.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 20, 2019, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

MTD, Sr.

MTD, Sr.

“He requested the timeout before the shot attempt... Give it to him.” BryanV21

Since my question remains unanswered, consider this similar play: Visitors are down 3 points. Just as V1 ends her dribble near the 3pt. line V-HC requests a time out. The official turns and verifies it was the HC and just as he whistles to grant the time out, V1’s three point try swishes through the net. The clock shows .2 of a second remaining in the game. Using MTD’s rule, the ball becomes dead retroactively to the moment when the TO was actually requested. Using that erroneous philosophy, the ball should also retroactively go back to player control by V1 because according to NFHS rule we cannot grant a TO during a live ball unless there is player control. If we continue to use MTD’s philosophy, it would be incumbent upon the officials to put back the time on the clock just prior to V1’s release of the ball. That is, of course, if the officials have definite knowledge. The granting official wouldn’t know because he was looking to verify the TO request. The other officials, not having heard any signal yet, are most likely watching their PCA. Taking into account the HC requested the TO as V1 ended her dribble, the subsequent shooting motion of V1 and the flight of the ball on a try beyond the three point line there easily could have been 3+ seconds on the clock. So, for those who say grant the time out, what are you doing now? Taking away the tying 3 point goal and giving the visiting team a sideline throw in with .2 on the clock, correct?
There was a Point of Emphasis in the rule book and the Pre Season Guide for the 2016-17 season that made it very clear the official must ensure there is player control status before granting a requested time out during a live ball. Coaches are expected to understand that officials often cannot immediately grant a request for a time out. The correct procedure and ruling that I am reading from the NFHS for the above plays is that after verifying the HC’s request the official should have then checked the location of the ball and seeing the 3 point attempts were in flight, should have denied the request.
Old Sun Jan 20, 2019, 11:53am
Stubborn Member

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer. Therefore we're left with the saying "that's why we get paid the big bucks".

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old Sun Jan 20, 2019, 12:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Acknowledging And Granting Timeout Criteria ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Point of Emphasis in the rule book and the Pre Season Guide for the 2016-17 season that made it very clear the official must ensure there is player control status before granting a requested time out during a live ball.
2016-17 NFHS Basketball Points of Emphasis
1. Acknowledging and Granting Timeout criteria. Granting a time-out is an aspect of the game allowed by rule where knowledge of ball position, player control and dead/live ball criteria can all be factors in awarding the requested timeout. Consideration has been given regarding continuing the opportunity for a head coach to call a time-out. The committee wanted to maintain the current time-out criteria. When a ball is live, player control is required. A player or the head coach of the team in possession may request and be granted a time-out. When the ball is dead, the crew must maintain its coverage areas on the court but also be aware of the opportunity for a head coach to request a time-out. This request can be oral or visual, but must be verified by the ruling official. If the request meets criteria, a time-out should be granted.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 20, 2019, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There was a Point of Emphasis in the rule book and the Pre Season Guide for the 2016-17 season that made it very clear the official must ensure there is player control status before granting a requested time out during a live ball. Coaches are expected to understand that officials often cannot immediately grant a request for a time out. The correct procedure and ruling that I am reading from the NFHS for the above plays is that after verifying the HC’s request the official should have then checked the location of the ball and seeing the 3 point attempts were in flight, should have denied the request.
I disagree. If there is no PC, I'm not turning to verify anything. If I turn to verify that it is the coach, I've already verified that there is a valid opportunity for a timeout. Once I've verified that, I'm granting the timeout without looking back to the court.
Old Sun Jan 20, 2019, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I disagree. If there is no PC, I'm not turning to verify anything. If I turn to verify that it is the coach, I've already verified that there is a valid opportunity for a timeout. Once I've verified that, I'm granting the timeout without looking back to the court.
Not sure I understand your point, Camron. I agree if there is no PC when a TO request is made I'm not looking to verify anything either because by rule I can't grant it anyway. If there is PC when the request is made, NFHS says to verify it is coming from the HC and then ensure there is still PC before granting the TO.
Old Sun Jan 20, 2019, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not sure I understand your point, Camron. I agree if there is no PC when a TO request is made I'm not looking to verify anything either because by rule I can't grant it anyway. If there is PC when the request is made, NFHS says to verify it is coming from the HC and then ensure there is still PC before granting the TO.
I think you’re reading something into the POe that isn’t there. It doesn’t say the ref has to check for PC a second time after being sure it is the HC.