View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 18, 2019, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Requesting timeout on layup situation???

Tied game last night with less than 30 seconds to go. Visiting team is passing around perimeter and gets the ball into their big man. I'm L up by the coach. The player is down on the opposite block. There is a taller defender on him but he has a wider body. The player goes up off of two feet and at exactly the point he is taking off to put the ball off the glass the coach is yelling for a TO. By the time I see and register everything in my head the player is in mid air.

Do you grant the TO in this situation?

I didn't and as you could imagine, the kid missed the layup. Home team gets rebound and brings up ball to half court calls a timeout with 15 secs left. Other coach still complaining on not getting TO granted. Home teams runs clock, one of the guards brings ball into the lane throws up a wild underhand shot that goes high off the board and rattles in with no time left on clock for the win, LOL.

Neither of my partners thought it would have been right to grant the TO but I couldn't help but thinking that according to the rules it would have been legit. Player had control! Now, if I granted the TO and the kid makes his bunny shot, I'm waving off a go ahead goal and visiting crowd goes ballistic.

Anyways, never been in a situation where the TO was requested as player is going up for a layup.

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks