The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 15, 2019, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Thoughts on this question.....

Team A has the alternating-possession arrow. A1 is in the frontcourt and attempts a two-point try. During the attempt, A3 and B4 are ruled for a double foul in the area near the key by team A’s basket. How is play resumed and is the shot clock reset?

a. The double foul causes the ball to be dead.

b. The shot clock shall be reset if the shot contacts the ring. Team A has an enplane throw-in.

c. Two points shall be awarded to team A if the try is successful. Team B has a non-designated spot endline throw-in

d. Both b and c.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2019, 02:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

We know 'a' is incorrect on its face.

Both 'b' and 'c' can apply to this situation.

Unless I'm missing something, I think the answer if fairly obvious.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2019, 02:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dead Ball ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
A1 is in the frontcourt and attempts a two-point try. During the attempt, A3 and B4 are ruled for a double foul in the area near the key by team A’s basket.
"Attempt"? Has the ball been released?

If not, Continuous motion is of significance only when there is a personal or technical foul by B after the trying or tapping motion by A1 is started and before the ball is in flight.

If the ball hasn't been released, does the foul by A3 (teammate of A1) cause the ball to be dead?

6-7: The ball becomes dead, or remains dead, when:
ART. 5 An official’s whistle is blown (see exceptions a and b below).
ART. 7 A foul, other than player-control or team-control, occurs (see
exceptions a, b and c below).
EXCEPTION: The ball does not become dead until the try or tap ends, or
until the airborne shooter returns to the floor, when:
a. Article 5, 6, or 7 occurs while a try or tap for a field goal is in
flight.
c. Article 7 occurs by any opponent of a player who has started a try
or tap for goal (is in the act of shooting) before the foul occurred,
provided time did not expire before the ball was in flight. The trying
motion must be continuous and begins after the ball comes to rest in
the player’s hand(s) on a try or touches the hand(s) on a tap, and is
completed when the ball is clearly in flight. The trying motion may
include arm, foot or body movements used by the player when
throwing the ball at his/her basket.

Has the ball been released? If so, as Raymond stated, "The answer if fairly obvious".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 15, 2019 at 03:04pm.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2019, 03:49pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
We know 'a' is incorrect on its face.

Both 'b' and 'c' can apply to this situation.

Unless I'm missing something, I think the answer if fairly obvious.
I guess the something I could be missing is whether or not the try was released.

If so, my original reply stands.

If not, then the answer is 'a'.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2019, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

I first went with answer B, and it was counted wrong. Second time around I went with D, and it was counted correct.

My assumption too, was that the shot attempt was released. With that said, the shot clock would be reset no matter what. Double foul is POI, therefore goes to the AP.

So part of B is correct, that Team A has a throw-in. Part of answer C is correct, that 2 points would be awarded if try was successful. But the second part of answer C is wrong, Team B has a non-designated spot end line throw-in. If A1 released the try or not, with the double foul, Team A would be getting a throw-in with either situation.

Got to love online test/quiz questions....
Old Tue Jan 15, 2019, 04:39pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
... If A1 released the try or not, with the double foul, Team A would be getting a throw-in with either situation.

If there is a double foul after a successful try is released, the POI is the made basket, therefore Team B would get the throw-in.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2019, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I first went with answer B, and it was counted wrong. Second time around I went with D, and it was counted correct.

My assumption too, was that the shot attempt was released. With that said, the shot clock would be reset no matter what. Double foul is POI, therefore goes to the AP.

So part of B is correct, that Team A has a throw-in. Part of answer C is correct, that 2 points would be awarded if try was successful. But the second part of answer C is wrong, Team B has a non-designated spot end line throw-in. If A1 released the try or not, with the double foul, Team A would be getting a throw-in with either situation.

There’s nothing wrong with the second part of C...as Raymond pointed out....
Old Tue Jan 15, 2019, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You are incorrect. Consult the NFHS Case Book 4.19.8 Sit E.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2019, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

I would say D. This is because that statement includes all correct scenarios. Shot clock would reset because there is no team control, and the designated spot (or lack thereof) on the throw-in depends on whether the try is successful.
Old Tue Jan 15, 2019, 07:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
I would say D. This is because that statement includes all correct scenarios. Shot clock would reset because there is no team control, and the designated spot (or lack thereof) on the throw-in depends on whether the try is successful.
The shot clock would reset because the try hit the ring. If it didn't hit the ring and AP arrow pointed towards team A, the shot clock would remain the same.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Tue Jan 15, 2019, 08:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Double Foul ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
You are incorrect. Consult the NFHS Case Book 4.19.8 Sit E.
4.19.8 SITUATION E: A1 has control of the ball in Team A's frontcourt. Post players A5 and B5 are pushing each other in an attempt to gain a more advantageous position on the block while (a) A1 is dribbling the ball; (b) the ball is in the air on a pass from A1 to A2; or (c) the ball is in the air on an unsuccessful try for goal by A1. An official rules a double personal foul on A5 and B5. RULING: In (a) and (b), Team A had control of the ball when the double foul occurred, and thus play will be resumed at the point of interruption. Team A will have a designated spot throw-in nearest the location where the ball was located when the double foul occurred. In (c), no team has control while a try for goal is in flight, and since the try was unsuccessful, there is no obvious point of interruption. Play will be resumed with an alternating possession throw-in nearest the location where the ball was located when the double foul occurred. Had the try been successful, the point of interruption would have been a throw-in for Team B from anywhere along the end line. (4-36; 7-5-3b)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 15, 2019, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Part of answer C is correct, that 2 points would be awarded if try was successful. But the second part of answer C is wrong, Team B has a non-designated spot end line throw-in. If A1 released the try or not, with the double foul, Team A would be getting a throw-in with either situation.
Incorrect on both elements.

C isn't "awarded" two points....they scored two points. Points are "awarded" only for defensive goal tending or basket interference.

Also, the second part is correct. Since the shot was successful, the POI is a throwin for team B. If the shot were missed, the POI would be indeterminable and you'd go with the arrow and give it to team A.
Old Wed Jan 16, 2019, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
If there is a double foul after a successful try is released, the POI is the made basket, therefore Team B would get the throw-in.
I stand corrected... thank you!