The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 11:01pm
M.A.S.H.

NFHS Question 47/Thoughts

Ok, this question got me thinking. I got the question correct, but...

Suppose Team A is leading 45-20, with 3:00 remaining in the fourth quarter, both Team A and Team B are in the bonus. A1 through A9 are disqualified. Therefore, A10 is the only remaining player. Of course, it's in the referee's judgment that Team A has a chance to win.

So, anytime Team B scores, we know that A must have a player on team B touch the ball or it's a violation, etc.

My question is concerning 8-1-4b:
The first marked lane spaces (the lane spaces adjacent to the end line) shall be occupied by opponents of the free thrower. No teammate of the free thrower may occupy either of these marked lane spaces.

Alright, so Team B is driving, A10 fouls B6. Now, we are shooting free throws. Team A isn't going to be able to satisfy 8-1-4b. So, does this result in a delay and then a technical foul on Team A for not occupying both lane spaces? Or does it result in a delayed violation on Team A? What's the call?
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
Ok, this question got me thinking. I got the question correct, but...

Suppose Team A is leading 45-20, with 3:00 remaining in the fourth quarter, both Team A and Team B are in the bonus. A1 through A9 are disqualified. Therefore, A10 is the only remaining player. Of course, it's in the referee's judgment that Team A has a chance to win.

So, anytime Team B scores, we know that A must have a player on team B touch the ball or it's a violation, etc.

The first marked lane spaces (the lane spaces adjacent to the end line) shall be occupied by opponents of the free thrower. No teammate of the free thrower may occupy either of these marked lane spaces.

Alright, so Team B is driving, A10 fouls B6. Now, we are shooting free throws. Team A isn't going to be able to satisfy 8-1-4b. So, does this result in a delay and then a technical foul on Team A for not occupying both lane spaces? Or does it result in a delayed violation on Team A? What's the call?
This is a situation where two rules appear to require conflicting things. The purpose and intent of the rule must be considered.
It is not the intention of the rules to have a violation and/or technical foul on team A everytime B shoots a FT just because the rest of the players are fouled out or injured.

No T or violation on team A.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 11:12pm
M.A.S.H.

Ok, so just allow A10 to occupy one of the first marked spaces and shoot. Thanks.
Old Thu Nov 09, 2006, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I would interpet 8-1-4b as any legal player from the defensive team. If there happens to be only one player then he must fill @ least one of the lane spaces adjacent to the end line. Most importantly the shooting team can't fill either space. You can't penalize the defensive team if they only have one legal player that can play.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Tanner, my man, I'm WAY ahead of you...

2003-04 NFHS BASKETBALL RULES INTERPRETATIONS

SITUATION 2: Team A started the game with seven team members in the scorebook. All team members foul out but one, A1. Team A is leading by eight points with 38 seconds left in the game with a chance to win. A1 fouls B2 with Team B in the bonus. A1 occupies one of the first marked lane spaces for the free throw, with no teammate to occupy the other required space. RULING: By rule, a team may continue to play with one player if that team has an opportunity to win the game. Accordingly, since Team A can only put one player in the required free-throw marked lane space, it cannot be penalized. Further, Team B may not occupy the first marked lane space left vacant by Team A. (3-1-1 Note, 8-1-3)

How did I know that this ruling existed? I wrote it on this very forum and someone took it and submitted it to the NFHS.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

I'll try to locate the thread in which I posted what became the Interp ruling, but for now, here's the thread in which I first inquired about this play back in 2002!

One player left
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 08:06am
M.A.S.H.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Tanner, my man, I'm WAY ahead of you...

2003-04 NFHS BASKETBALL RULES INTERPRETATIONS

SITUATION 2: Team A started the game with seven team members in the scorebook. All team members foul out but one, A1. Team A is leading by eight points with 38 seconds left in the game with a chance to win. A1 fouls B2 with Team B in the bonus. A1 occupies one of the first marked lane spaces for the free throw, with no teammate to occupy the other required space. RULING: By rule, a team may continue to play with one player if that team has an opportunity to win the game. Accordingly, since Team A can only put one player in the required free-throw marked lane space, it cannot be penalized. Further, Team B may not occupy the first marked lane space left vacant by Team A. (3-1-1 Note, 8-1-3)

How did I know that this ruling existed? I wrote it on this very forum and someone took it and submitted it to the NFHS.
Sweet! I figured it had been discussed before, just wasn't sure when. Turns out, it was just before I stated. Thanks all.

Edit: Thanks Nevada for digging up the old thread. Great stuff to start off my Friday morning! It appears my orginal thinking was in line with a few others until they officially made the ruling.

Last edited by tjones1; Fri Nov 10, 2006 at 08:14am.
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

There's some great stuff in those old threads! I'm glad that Brad provides the storage capacity to continue to make them available. Now if I could only get that darn search engine to find the thread that I want! At least we have a search engine again, so I probably shouldn't complain. Ironic that Chuck left just after we got it back.