The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Your thoughts...

I'm always willing to hear feedback regarding things that happen with me so I'd like some input on this from 6th grade competitive league today.....I called a blocking foul in Q4 on a kid whose team was getting throttled pretty bad (so much for competitive today )....he was shaking his head about the call...I noticed this and explained to him why I called what I called...He had slid under an airborn shooter. As he's taking his spot on the low block immediatley after my explanation...He mumbled something about "mbmbmbmb...get outta here".

So thinking of my times on the board, I thought I'd asked him if he'd like to repeat what he just said to me....He didn't say anything so I asked him again...at this point he looks at me and says "BACK UP". I Td him for this comment....

Coach didn't like the block call or the T....said I initiated the T and shouldn't be in the kids face. My explanation to him about the situation was what I wrote above and I don't think a 12 year old kid or any player at the JRHS or HS level should be telling officials to "Back up"...as in "Get Outta My Face" as that is how I took it. Especially not when the official is tyring to explain to you the reason why you picked up the foul in an effort to help you understand it.

I admit, I don't know exactly what was said and that in itself might have been enough for me that I COULD have left it alone. I do feel as though he was upset with my call and that's why he said whatever he said...In the end I hope that he'll use it as a learning experience that when you don't agree with the official there is a right way and a wrong way to ASK about the call. Better to have learned this in a blowout than when it was a close game...and that's from the player and the officials side of it..
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 08:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Did he ask about the call? No. You gave him an unsolicited explanation. I'd probably avoid that in the future.

Next. How close were you standing when he told you to back up?

At first glance; you backed him into a corner, and unwittingly prodded him into getting a T.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 08:20pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
You probably did egg him on a bit. Ya got an upset, immature 6th grader and you kept asking him questions. Let it go and walk away. Let his coach handle it. Be the "bigger man." He'll learn his lesson another time, or not......JMO.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

If the Coach asks and you have time to explain, go ahead. If the player shakes his head, you administer the freethrows for the foul you already called. You don't owe that kid an explaination unless he asks politely or the Captain asks politely. The kid is pissed, back away and do YOUR job. If he gets demonstrative, then you deal with it.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 08:24pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
I called a blocking foul in Q4 on a kid whose team was getting throttled pretty bad....he was shaking his head about the call...I noticed this and explained to him why I called what I called...He had slid under an airborn shooter. As he's taking his spot on the low block immediatley after my explanation...He mumbled something about "mbmbmbmb...get outta here".

So thinking of my times on the board, I thought I'd asked him if he'd like to repeat what he just said to me....He didn't say anything so I asked him again...at this point he looks at me and says "BACK UP". I Td him for this comment....

Coach didn't like the block call or the T....said I initiated the T and shouldn't be in the kids face.
1) No need to explain your calls to players unless they ask.

2) No need to ask twice if the kid would like to repeat anything. You made your point the first time, and it worked. He didn't say anything more until you went after him again.

It does kinda sound like you baited the kid into the "T".

Jmo.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
1) No need to explain your calls to players unless they ask.

2) No need to ask twice if the kid would like to repeat anything. You made your point the first time, and it worked. He didn't say anything more until you went after him again.

It does kinda sound like you baited the kid into the "T".

Jmo.
On point #1...I guess this is something I've done over the years with lower level kids to aid them in understanding the game a little better.

#2...you are correct and I think that's why I've been stewing on this one...

Thanks for the input Jurassic and the others who have responded already...

EDIT: Snags...I was probably a couple feet away...I wasn't all up in his personal space or "in his face"....
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 08:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
EDIT: Snags...I was probably a couple feet away...I wasn't all up in his personal space or "in his face"....
Then by the time you got to that point, you probably had no choice but to call it. I only wondered if "back up" could have been taken literally; guess not.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 08:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Learned This On The Forum, So It Must Be Right ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
1) No need to ask twice if the kid would like to repeat anything.
Not agreeing with an earlier thread, but I believe that Coltdoggs was referring to a thread a few days ago about asking a player to repeat a mumbled comment.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 09:14pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Not agreeing with an earlier thread, but I believe that Coltdoggs was referring to a thread a few days ago about asking a player to repeat a mumbled comment.
Yes, he was. I don't have a problem with that procedure either, Billy. I do have a problem with it though if you ask twice even though the player didn't respond after the first time.

When the kid didn't respond to your first query, you achieved your goal imo. Let it go.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 10:00pm
Huck Finn

I've had this question for some time. What is a "competitive 6th grade" game? Or 7th or 8th?
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
On point #1...I guess this is something I've done over the years with lower level kids to aid them in understanding the game a little better.
You aren't there to coach them. If you want to coach, go get a team. If you want to ref then suck it up. Not every call you make will bring joy & delight to all the players.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I've had this question for some time. What is a "competitive 6th grade" game? Or 7th or 8th?
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 07:13am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
One where the coaches/parents really, really care passionately, understanding this particular game is THE ONE which determines which D1 school their players/child will eventually be accepted to!
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar
One where the coaches/parents really, really care passionately, understanding this particular game is THE ONE which determines which D1 school their players/child will eventually be accepted to!
Hey, all the rec league kids are going to the "League" if you ask the moms and dads....(usually it's just the moms there)
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

While not your intent - you did a pretty good job of baiting him into that T. If he mumbled something and you didn't understand - and you asked him to repeat it and he told you he said you were an f'ing jerk - would you have let it pass? Kid mumbled something, realized his mistake, kept quiet while you pushed and he told you to back off. I think he was in his rights as you were forcing an issue. He learned - let it go. At least he didn't say get the flock out of my face!