The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 19, 2019, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randa16 View Post
Nothing ticks me off more then my partner calling a foul or violation in my area.
My pregame: Call in your area. Call in my area, too.
Old Sat Jan 19, 2019, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
My pregame: Call in your area. Call in my area, too.
I worked 6 games today in a tournament and after two of them one of my partners (who I've worked with a decent amount) apologized for coming in my area (T) as the C to get some contact I was straightlined or blocked out on. I told him I'm just going to ask if you are sure you got the call right. If you are I won't say another word. I'll only think about getting upset if you come in and take away a good non-call, otherwise we need to just get them right.
Old Mon Jan 21, 2019, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nothing ticks me off more then my partner calling a foul or violation in my area. In high school games if you pull this crap the first time you get a loook, the second you a head shake and the third we are going to have a conversation you will not like at halftime or after the game. I still do youth games and that is a train wreck of officials who call outside their area. I had a partner in lead position call travel at half court one time, I reversed the call and told him to stay the F out of my area before I get mad. I don’t call other areas for 2 reasons, it’s your job and your area and second it looks bad when
Tough guy! You sound like a train wreck of an official!
Old Mon Jan 21, 2019, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

The Third Team?

Randa16, even assuming your territoriality is appropriate, your actions (head shaking, reversing a partner's call) can only make the situation worse. Save your anger for the locker room at half-time or post-game, away from the public eye.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2019, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

I have put in years at being a good ref. Do I miss calls? Yes a few a year but the last thing I need is some old guy trying to be super ref and not watch his area. The call I reversed was because he was way out of position, I was standing right there, it was a bad call and he is not going to make me look stupid. You all can not like it all you want but you know the kind of ref I am talking about.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2019, 09:28am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I have put in years at being a good ref. Do I miss calls? Yes a few a year but the last thing I need is some old guy trying to be super ref and not watch his area. The call I reversed was because he was way out of position, I was standing right there, it was a bad call and he is not going to make me look stupid. You all can not like it all you want but you know the kind of ref I am talking about.
Then you might want to move up to a level where you don't have to deal with that.

I'm still trying to envision this unpleasant conversation. Is it a conversation where you berate your partner and he just sits there and takes it?
Old Tue Jan 22, 2019, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No good ref reverses a call like you were talking about. Make you look stupid? How about what you did to your partner?
Old Tue Jan 22, 2019, 10:24am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Well if you want to move up the ranks, ever, you will deal with "old guys" doing all kinds of things and calling all kinds of things and you better not every act that way towards them or you will have a short career. IJS.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 22, 2019, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I totally agree with most of your comments, I just do not think this is a foul. At least not one that stands out so much that all would agree. There are certainly calls I would suggest should be called even from that position, but this is not one of them IMO.

Peace
I really saw nothing much here either. This would, to me, not fit into the "a must come get".
Old Tue Jan 22, 2019, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
1. Only a few missed calls a year? Wow!
2. It is not about us not liking it but you have chosen to flat out violate a rule which states no official has the authority to change another officials ruling. You just took a mistake and compounded it.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2019, 11:24am
AremRed

My goal for every game is to be under 1.5 IC's per game and hopefully under 2.5 INC's.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2019, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randa16 View Post
i have put in years at being a good ref. do i miss calls? Yes a few a year but the last thing i need is some old guy trying to be super ref and not watch his area. The call i reversed was because he was way out of position, i was standing right there, it was a bad call and he is not going to make me look stupid. You all can not like it all you want but you know the kind of ref i am talking about.
l
o
l
Old Tue Jan 22, 2019, 12:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

By Whose Count ???

Quote:
Do I miss calls? Yes a few a year ...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 22, 2019, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

I do high school games and have done a little community College. I still do youth only because they are always short officials and I am friends with the guys who assigns games and he flips me extra money to cover. . High school no problems 95% of the time. Youth is a train wreck.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2019, 05:00pm
Courageous When Prudent

As long as you do Youth ball you will get "train wreck" partners. And any of those partners old enough to have teenagers of their own aren't going to sit around the locker room (or whatever changing area you have) while you berate them for calling in your area.