The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 25, 2018, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
… One thing that I want to get off my chest: A "block" means a "block"; adding a "firm block" is absolute nonsense. ...
+1

This is the most absurd thing I've heard in a while. But I just checked it out on the site and it's all there, as others have described. Ridiculous.
Old Tue Dec 25, 2018, 12:19am
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoulter View Post
About 6-8 weeks ago, I discovered when I got a game for a time I was "blocked" that most of my partial day blocks had disappeared.

At first I thought I did something stupid, but the full day blocks remained and partial day blocks remained on days I had accepted games for.. so I can't figure out how I could have done it.

Kevin
Each summer, I set up partial-day blocks for the coming academic year based on my Monday-Friday work schedule. At some point this fall, I accepted a game and noticed all of my partial-day blocks I set for the 2018-19 season had disappeared as well . I replaced them as quickly as I could and wondered what happened.

Apparently, it wasn't just me. Now, I'm curious if there was some sort of glitch in Arbiter.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Tue Dec 25, 2018, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

I forgot to mention one of the most egregious examples of how arbiter is designed for everyone's benefit but ours, the officials: you can't remove yourself from an account; only the assigner can do that.
Old Tue Dec 25, 2018, 09:44am
Esteemed Forum Member

When Is A Block Not A Block ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
... it's another manifestation of arbiter's hierarchy, where officials are an afterthought, a necessary evil.
I understand the difference between block and a firm block from the assigner's side, one provides more flexibility, but for an official, what's the difference? Why would I have a need for both?

If I have a doctor's appointment, family event, church event, vacation, tickets to a sports event, or a concert, etc., I block for those reasons. As far as I'm concerned those are firm blocks.

Why would I have a need for something less than a firm block?

Come to think of it, I've also had a few experiences with less than firm blocks being assigned to me. Our Arbiter assignments build in a ninety minute travel "delay". Back when I was working, I indicated that I would not be able to leave work before 5:00 p.m., yet I often received assignments at 6:00 p.m. or 6:15 p.m. Once I even got an assignment at 5:30 p.m. (ten minutes from work). No big deal, I tried to sneak out a few minutes early, but maybe that's the reason for the "flexible" blocks.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 25, 2018, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

"Why would I have a need for something less than a firm block?"

Billy, you illustrate my point, especially as many officials apparently are unaware of the "firm block" option. In my view, arbiter is set up primarily to facilitate assigners' work, and not equally to assist officials in managing their schedules.
Old Tue Dec 25, 2018, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Think of a block as "I don't really want to work then, but if the assignor is in a bind, I might be able to"....and a firm block is "I am on vacation, or otherwise 100% unavailable".

But I agree - when I first started, I thought a block was a block!
Old Tue Dec 25, 2018, 01:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

When a block was overridden on my site, I just decline the game. I am blocked for a reason. I do not have to explain that block. If that is a problem, I will not be doing too many games for that person. Or they will have to get over their problem.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 25, 2018, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

For many years, we had one assigner who dominated the assignment field in this region. Not only was he extremely vindictive, but he was also less than understanding. His dictatorial reign continued for the first several years of arbiter, until he died, several years ago.

Things are better now: our assigners honor "soft" blocks and understand if there is a mix-up.
Old Tue Dec 25, 2018, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Thank goodness that we are not assigned games on blocked dates here. If there is a bind we simply get an e-mail asking if anyone can open up their calendar.

I shouldn’t have to make a block “firm.” If I’m blocked, I’m blocked, and it’s not really an assigner’s business why.
Old Tue Dec 25, 2018, 05:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Lateset Craze ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Thank goodness that we are not assigned games on blocked dates here. If there is a bind we simply get an e-mail asking if anyone can open up their calendar.
While it appears our assigner may play around a little with built in ninety minute travel times, I'm not aware of him totally ignoring blocks.

Otherwise, same here, email blasts during flu season when he has lots of reschedules due to illnesses and snow postponements (or the latest craze, cold postponements).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Dec 29, 2018, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
I agree, Mark. But it's another manifestation of arbiter's hierarchy, where officials are an afterthought, a necessary evil. Want to set travel limits? Only if the assigner permits. Want to block partners, schools or teams? Only if the assigner permits. Want to see your evaluations? Only if the assigner permits.
As an assigner, I not only give my officials access to the blocks and travel limit sections, but I feel all assigners should do this. Each official should be allowed to have full access to Arbiters blocks sections. It makes the assigners jobs easier for crying out loud.

I do not use the evaluation tools within Arbiter at all, so I don't give my officials access to a blank page. If I have an issue arise with the official or with the school I use email to document the situation and have a record of the interaction (thankfully I have only had a few issues in my years as an assigner).

As for the ides of blocks, over riding blocks and making changes. I always assume if there is a block for an official of mine, it is a firm block. If I absolutely need an official who has a block for that contest I will email the official and ask if I can assign them to an event and override the block.

My biggest pet peeve is when assigners just decide to change an assignment without contacting the official about it. I may have planned some other aspect of my life around a specific assignment and location (dinner with friends, date, other work). When an assigned just decides to change my assignment at the last minute without asking I find that disrespectful of my time as an official and have told several assigners that to their face. If I need to move an official I will email the official and ask permission. If an assigner wants to move me I just ask that they give me that courtesy as well. Normally I am flexible with switching assignments, but I feel I should be asked first before I am just switched.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2018, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
Each summer, I set up partial-day blocks for the coming academic year based on my Monday-Friday work schedule. At some point this fall, I accepted a game and noticed all of my partial-day blocks I set for the 2018-19 season had disappeared as well . I replaced them as quickly as I could and wondered what happened.

Apparently, it wasn't just me. Now, I'm curious if there was some sort of glitch in Arbiter.
Some? There have been several this year. One of them we had during volleyball season was all the sites for our assigner somehow ended up being at one venue. The AD couldn't figure out why all of the sudden volleyball matches from a hundred miles away were in his gym, or why he had 100 matches in his gym at the same time.

The one I found was similar, the site was ok, but the sub site was switched. Difficult to have a swim meet inside the gym.
Old Sat Dec 29, 2018, 06:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

On The Floor ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Difficult to have a swim meet inside the gym.
https://youtu.be/MnKoQbFXemE

Old Sat Feb 08, 2020, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry to dredge this one up, but anyone know if there's a way to make Site or Partner blocks "firm"?

I've known about the "firm block" function for dates/times for a few seasons -- and I make all my blocks firm now -- but there doesn't appear to be that option for other categories of blocks.

A friend of mine also on the firm-block wagon just got an assignment at a site he's had blocked for more than a year.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2020, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

Simply put....No. You can't "firm block" sites or partners.