The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 23, 2018, 05:58pm
Administrator

Arbiter and the Over-riding of Blocks.

Mark, Jr., had a certain weekend in March "blocked" for all of the assigning groups the he either officiates basketball or umpires baseball or softball because he will be out-of-town for a wedding. And yet, this afternoon he receives an assignment for that weekend. When he contacted the assigner as to why he over-rode the "block" the assigner told him that he did not over-ride the "block" because it showed that he was note "blocked" yet Mark, Jr.'s Arbiter account should that he was "blocked" for the entire weekend.

Has anyone had this problem before? Thanks.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Dec 23, 2018, 06:56pm
AremRed

Sounds like a question for Arbiter.
Old Sun Dec 23, 2018, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

I think that assigners can override blocks unless the official makes them firm. This may have been MTD, Jr.'s problem, as it was mine last week.

Here is what arbiter has to say:

A “firm” block is one that your assigner cannot override when making assignments. Normally, an assigner can still make an assignment even if you have a date blocked. They simply are notified that you’ve set a block, but they can still assign you. Marking blocks as firm prevents your assigner from overriding a blocked date or time.

After you have blocked a date, select view schedule in the action section.
Click on the date and the lower portion of the screen will show you the blocks that have been set on that date.
Click the edit pencil to the left-side of the block.
Check the box in the firm column then click the blue floppy disk icon to save.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2018, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

100% Correct

As an assigner who uses arbiter the above post is 100%. If you are closed, I see a red "B" next to your name ( green if you are open ). However, I can assign you to any game even if you show blocked.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2018, 12:27am
Do not give a damn!!

Well, it is possible that he could have had his blocks not "shared." That has been a problem for some around here in the past as we have several accounts for different groups. That being said, if he said he was blocked and the assignor gave him a game anyway, he can simply turn down the game. He has a wedding and it is some time out too. If they cannot understand that, they have bigger issues. I get that assignors want their games covered, but people have lives.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 24, 2018, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

I help assign for a large area and am unaware of a "firm" block. The ability to override basically any block exists. You can see a list of officials, available officials, potential officials, and issue summary. Basically it tells you the reason that they are blocked. Generally assignors call the person and ask if they can override the block and assign them, but not everyone follows this protocol.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2018, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

sdoebler, you may be right, but this is a direct quote (with emphases added) from the arbiter website:
"A 'firm' block is one that your assigner cannot override when making assignments. Normally, an assigner can still make an assignment even if you have a date blocked. They simply are notified that you’ve set a block, but they can still assign you. Marking blocks as firm prevents your assigner from overriding a blocked date or time."
I only learned about firming blocks after several years of being on arbiter. Mark, is Junior aware of this capability?
Old Mon Dec 24, 2018, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Do you have a screen shot of how it works? Makes sense and would be useful have just never seen it.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2018, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

About 6-8 weeks ago, I discovered when I got a game for a time I was "blocked" that most of my partial day blocks had disappeared.

At first I thought I did something stupid, but the full day blocks remained and partial day blocks remained on days I had accepted games for.. so I can't figure out how I could have done it.

Kevin
Old Mon Dec 24, 2018, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Screen shots are another technology I'm not good at. Try this--go to this page on arbiter: https://arbitersports.force.com/offi...Dates-and-Time

Scroll down about half way, to a section entitled Making Blocks "Firm" and Making Notes on Blocks

Essentially, you view the schedule, click on the date you want to firm up, click on the pencil on the left, then the firm box on the right, and then click on the blue disk to save your firm block.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2018, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Screen shots are another technology I'm not good at. Try this--go to this page on arbiter: https://arbitersports.force.com/offi...Dates-and-Time

Scroll down about half way, to a section entitled Making Blocks "Firm" and Making Notes on Blocks

Essentially, you view the schedule, click on the date you want to firm up, click on the pencil on the left, then the firm box on the right, and then click on the blue disk to save your firm block.
Wow thank you. Never seen this before and very useful. Not sure that anyone in our association is aware.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2018, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Screen shots are another technology I'm not good at.
The Snipping Tool has been a feature of any Windows computer since Windows 7 I believe. Click on your start menu and start typing "Snipping" and it will show up. It's very simple to use. Click the "New" button and drag-select the boxed area that you want to take a shot of. There's some nice highlight and marker tools if you want to draw attention to something. Then, click File...Save.

If you are using OSX, I'm sure there's a similar option. But, you won't catch me trying to find it.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2018, 02:50pm
Administrator

Quote:
I think that assigners can override blocks unless the official makes them firm. This may have been MTD, Jr.'s problem, as it was mine last week.

Here is what arbiter has to say:

A “firm” block is one that your assigner cannot override when making assignments. Normally, an assigner can still make an assignment even if you have a date blocked. They simply are notified that you’ve set a block, but they can still assign you. Marking blocks as firm prevents your assigner from overriding a blocked date or time.

After you have blocked a date, select view schedule in the action section.
Click on the date and the lower portion of the screen will show you the blocks that have been set on that date.
Click the edit pencil to the left-side of the block.
Check the box in the firm column then click the blue floppy disk icon to save.
Quote:
sdoebler, you may be right, but this is a direct quote (with emphases added) from the arbiter website:
"A 'firm' block is one that your assigner cannot override when making assignments. Normally, an assigner can still make an assignment even if you have a date blocked. They simply are notified that you’ve set a block, but they can still assign you. Marking blocks as firm prevents your assigner from overriding a blocked date or time."
I only learned about firming blocks after several years of being on arbiter. Mark, is Junior aware of this capability?
Quote:

Thanks for all the help and information.

One thing that I want to get off my chest: A "block" means a "block"; adding a "firm block" is absolute nonsense. If the assigner wants to over ride the "block" then he needs to either call, text, or email the official and ask him.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Dec 24, 2018, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
A "block" means a "block"; adding a "firm block" is absolute nonsense.
I agree, Mark. But it's another manifestation of arbiter's hierarchy, where officials are an afterthought, a necessary evil. Want to set travel limits? Only if the assigner permits. Want to block partners, schools or teams? Only if the assigner permits. Want to see your evaluations? Only if the assigner permits.
Old Mon Dec 24, 2018, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
One thing that I want to get off my chest: A "block" means a "block"; adding a "firm block" is absolute nonsense.

Kind of reminds me of the scene from “A Few Good Men”, which I paraphrase:

Jo: I object.
Judge: Overruled.
Jo: Well then I strenuously object!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk