The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
A few years ago, when Hollywood producers, and stars, political figures, and sports figures were being called out on their past indiscretions (MeToo), I told my boss that in this modern internet information age anybody could probably dig up "dirt" on just about anybody else if one looked hard enough, and I mentioned that someone could probably even find some "dirt" on Mother Teresa.

He replied, "Yeah, that slut".

Even though I'm a devout Catholic, I almost fell on the floor laughing my ass off.
hahahaha
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 04:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Late Additions ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Couldn't have combined this with your previous post instead of replying to your own post.
No. I actually did that, but then realized that if anyone had already read my earlier post and then moved down the line, they wouldn't see my edit. I've learned not to make any additions to one's post any more than a few minutes after the original post. The two posts you referred to were two separate thoughts about thirty minutes apart, plenty of time for someone to read and move on. This is especially important if one is involved in a heated debate with lots of Forum members online at the time. Important information (not relevant here) can then be overlooked.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 11, 2018 at 04:04pm.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 04:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
No. I actually did that, but then realized that if anyone had already read my earlier post and then moved down the line, they wouldn't see my edit. I've learned not to make any additions to one's post any more than a few minutes after the original post. The two posts you referred to were two separate thoughts about thirty minutes apart, plenty of time for someone to read and move on. This is especially important if one is involved in a heated debate with lots of Forum members online at the time. Important information (not relevant here) can then be overlooked.
So what relevant information would have been missed in this case? All you're doing is making readers think their is a germane response when there isn't one. It was definitely a "look at me" post.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 04:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Who Backs Up On The Forum ...

Quote:
So what relevant information would have been missed in this case?
Everything, either relevant, or irrelevant would have been missed by those online in the intervening thirty minutes. In this specific case of attempting a quip, nothing important. But once the first post was read by a member, that member would not see (unless one backed up) my additional unimportant information.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 04:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Everything, either relevant, or irrelevant would have been missed by those online in the intervening thirty minutes. In this specific case of attempting a quip, nothing important. But once the first post was read by a member, that member would not see (unless one backed up) my additional unimportant information.
Your off-topic responses far outnumber your relevant posts for the last 2 days. SMH
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 04:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Lots Of Choices ...

Quote:
Your off-topic responses far outnumber your relevant posts for the last 2 days.
While it's nice of you to pay so much attention my posts, enough to actually read them, and count them, but I'm sure that it's been more than two days, probably as far back as my retirement back in mid-September.

I'm grateful that the moderators seem to allow me some latitude, but you may still want to try complaining to them, or became a moderator, or don't bother to read any of my posts, or skim over my posts looking for information that you deem important, or just block me and put yourself out of your misery.

As far as I know, nobody's holding a gun to your head forcing you to read all my posts, or everything in all my posts.

Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 05:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

See What I Did There ...

Quote:
As far as I know, nobody's holding a gun to your head forcing you to read all my posts, or everything in all my posts.
If somebody is, just type a bunch of asterisks to let us know.

(I watched The Town (2010) on television last night ("sunny skies")).

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 11, 2018 at 05:36pm.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 05:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Do not have to read your posts to see that you respond to yourself multiple times before we can see the actual responses to the information in the post by people actually having a conversation with other people. It can be pointed out that you clearly like posted multiple times and it is our right to say it is a bit annoying. But it is not going to stop you. You like being annoying.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 05:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Slow Down ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
But it is not going to stop you.
But it may slow me down. I do read everybody's posts. And such posts may not be posted in vain. I do occasionally need a friendly (or not so friendly) reminder to back off a little (or a lot).

It's all about checks and balances. Without checks there wouldn't be balance.

You may think that I'm not paying attention, but I actually am.

In many cases I'm having some fun, but in some cases I actually have new thoughts several minutes after my original thought thus requiring a new post, because members don't usually back up on the Forum, and my new thoughts would go unread by those online in the intervening minutes.

In other cases I may want to intentionally separate two related thoughts into two different posts to make the ideas easier to understand, and thus, easier to respond to (see commuting miles versus business expense miles, two separate, but related, tax issues, thus two different posts):

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1027108

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 11, 2018 at 06:02pm.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

With all due respect....

Billy, your methodology may be self-defeating. When I see you replying to yourself or your string-of-posts, I often say to myself, "Oh, it's Billy, talking to himself again," and skip them. If others react similarly, your teaching efforts may be wasted, for both "the young 'uns" and us old-timers alike.

And because you often post long sequences when you have new thoughts, maybe you should think things through more thoroughly before posting.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 08:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pulp Fiction On The Forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
... maybe you should think things through more thoroughly before posting.
Agree. I post and then I reflect. I should reflect and then post. Saying I agree doesn't mean that I can do it, but at least I agree with you, and can try.

I'm Irish, I love to talk, which in the realm of the Forum means that I love to post.

You should have seen me before I gave up all caffeine and was put on Xanax.

Pulp Fiction (1994), Mia Wallace (Uma Thurman) meets Vincent Vega (John Travolta) and she asks him, “When in conversation, do you listen, or do you just wait to talk?”

Vincent thinks about it and then responds, “I wait to talk, but I’m trying to listen.”

Note: Who doesn't think that Uma Thurman was red hot in this movie?

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 11, 2018 at 08:57pm.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mike51 must officiate in Connecticut.
Nope, in Mississippi.
Some schools use three officials, but most are just two of us out there.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 11:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
...that is the question.

Had a drink with a friend of mine who officiates after his game on Saturday. Here's the situation.

1st half, GV game. B coach within 2 min stands up to disagree with an out of bounds call, and yells "Are you kidding me????" My buddy was going to whack him, but partner was standing right there and gave him a stern verbal warning. Later in the half, B1 player pushes A1 in the back on a rebound off a free throw. My buddy gets her for a foul and the following exchange occurs on the FT down at the other end where my buddy is T.
Coach: What did she do wrong there?
Buddy: She pushed her in the back on the rebound.
Coach: Are you sure?
Buddy: Girl started on the block and ended up below the basket because of your player. 100%.
Coach: Are you sure she didn't get out-jumped there?
Buddy: Yep. We're done here.
Coach: She's a D1 volleyball recruit. She could out jump her.
Buddy: Well that wasn't a D1 rebound.
Coach: You're awful chippy tonight.
Buddy: Coach, if you want to discuss it, I'm happy to but don't think I'm not going to banter when you're arguing a good call on the other end of the court.
Coach: We'll see when your grade comes out for the game and I send this tape to the state.

At that point my buddy T's him up. To give some background, the coach is always a prick (I've had him many times), always complaining about good calls, and just doesn't know how to ask a question without being condescending. My buddy has whacked him many times and was trying to have a conversation and avoid a T. He was worked up after the game thinking he shouldn't have let it go on for that long, but I told him it was a conversation during a free throw so I have no problem with it. Also, anytime one of our compadres can get a good jab in at this guy, I fully support it.

My question is this: he probably let it go for too long, but do you have any issue having a conversation with the coach knowing that he's a prick and probably doesn't deserve any of your time?
If he's always a prick, drop the warning on the "Are you kidding me" on the first out of bounds play. Then whack him the next time. Solved. While we always say everyone starts with a clean slate, the truth is that a coach who is famous for being a prick doesn't deserve a long leash.

Prior to the written warning becoming part of the game, I had this EXACT SAME circumstance on an OOB call in the first 30 seconds of the game with a coach who gets whacked at least a dozen times a season. I should've whacked him right then -- he ended up getting one in the second quarter when I was tired of him.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 11:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Billy, your methodology may be self-defeating. When I see you replying to yourself or your string-of-posts, I often say to myself, "Oh, it's Billy, talking to himself again," and skip them. If others react similarly, your teaching efforts may be wasted, for both "the young 'uns" and us old-timers alike.....
That's my main point. I've mentioned it before; one (a newcomer) may actually miss some good information because they don't want to sift through so many off-topic or irrelevant posts.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 11:57pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
That's my main point. I've mentioned it before; one (a newcomer) may actually miss some good information because they don't want to sift through so many off-topic or irrelevant posts.
It's true:

Actually just read through this thread for the first time a few minutes ago. After seeing that first off-topic post, I skipped over ALL of Billy's posts.