The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 12, 2018, 12:03am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Prior to the written warning becoming part of the game, I had this EXACT SAME circumstance on an OOB call in the first 30 seconds of the game with a coach who gets whacked at least a dozen times a season. I should've whacked him right then -- he ended up getting one in the second quarter when I was tired of him.
When I get that from a coach, it's almost always the first time I'm working in front of them. I always address it with "Coach, are we really going to start this already?" Especially when it's something that happened right in front of the crew and 40-60 feet from the coach.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2018, 07:17am
Esteemed Forum Member

Coach Tendencies ...

Quote:
While we always say everyone starts with a clean slate, the truth is that a coach who is famous for being a prick doesn't deserve a long leash.
Our interpreter just discussed the "clean slate" issue at our meeting on Sunday. He discouraged us from "keeping one in our pocket".

Truth is, pregame conversations often include topics of team tendencies and coach tendencies.

Had a young official work his first varsity game for a coach known for being tough on officials a few days ago. He was concerned about this going into the game.

We told him what to expect, the coach has high expectations for officials and let's them know when they may have screwed up, but then he immediately deescalates the situation and starts "coaching" again, especially if he's not ignored, even if it's just a gesture or body language (no long conversations needed) that shows him that you've heard him.

I was only there for the first half of the game, but it played out just like we told him, a few coach comments ("She got fouled"), a few acknowledgments of said comments ("No coach, I had a real good look at it"), no outbursts, no warnings, no technical fouls (nothing even close).

I've been working with this coach for almost four decades and I guarantee that if he thought he was being ignored, things could have escalated. I'm not saying that they would escalate to a technical foul, but he could have come close to crossing some lines in the sand that would require some decisions on the part of the crew.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 12, 2018 at 09:58am.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2018, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
My skin is a little thicker, I would have waited for the grade and tape comment, and then the technical foul would come "fast as lightning", with a possible "finger breaker" signal.

(Still got Carl Douglas's Kung Fu Fighting on my mind).
I wish this site had a "LIKE" Button.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2018, 09:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
When I get that from a coach, it's almost always the first time I'm working in front of them. I always address it with "Coach, are we really going to start this already?" Especially when it's something that happened right in front of the crew and 40-60 feet from the coach.

Have had this guy many times. It's always a matter of time. When he doesn't get one it's cause the officials let him get away with too much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old Wed Dec 12, 2018, 09:24am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
But it may slow me down. I do read everybody's posts. And such posts may not be posted in vain. I do occasionally need a friendly (or not so friendly) reminder to back off a little (or a lot).
You do what you want, but trying to tell you that people are ignoring your posts, especially when they are long and talking about things that have nothing to do with the OP. You can do what makes you feel good, but I was trying to help.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 12, 2018, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Have had this guy many times. It's always a matter of time. When he doesn't get one it's cause the officials let him get away with too much.
Or he gets officials that use "that's just how he is" to justify ignoring the behavior.

Whenever a partner says this to me, my response is "not tonight he won't be."
Old Wed Dec 12, 2018, 09:56am
Esteemed Forum Member

Checks And Balances ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... but I was trying to help.
I know. Thanks. You're one of the "checks" that "balances" me.

Watch my posts today, I'm really going to try to stay on topic, but it will be "one day at a time".

Not counting this response post, I believe that I'm two for two (on topic, high quality, posts) today.

As New York City Mayor Ed Koch used to say, "How'm I doing?".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 12, 2018 at 10:07am.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2018, 10:02am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
While it's nice of you to pay so much attention my posts, enough to actually read them, and count them, but I'm sure that it's been more than two days, probably as far back as my retirement back in mid-September.

I'm grateful that the moderators seem to allow me some latitude, but you may still want to try complaining to them, or became a moderator, or don't bother to read any of my posts, or skim over my posts looking for information that you deem important, or just block me and put yourself out of your misery.

As far as I know, nobody's holding a gun to your head forcing you to read all my posts, or everything in all my posts.
There's also moderator choices, like whether we delete off-topic posts or whether we give you a timeout. Just saying.

I hope that reminder helps you in your quest to stay more on-topic.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2018, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Last night-- coach demonstrating and complaining about a call (when she was up by 32 points). I told her to settle down, we're not going to do that tonight. She told me I was too sensitive. I put an official warning in the book and didn't hear anything else all night. Do you whack her? She also then told my partner I'm too sensitive.

**edit- spelling

Last edited by UNIgiantslayers; Wed Dec 12, 2018 at 11:30am.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2018, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Last night-- coach demonstrating and complaining about a call (when she was up by 32 points). I told her to settle down, we're not going to do that tonight. She told me I was too sensitive. I put an official warning in the book and didn't her anything else all night. Do you whack her? She also then told my partner I'm too sensitive.
I would've told her to look at the scoreboard and her reaction after that would determine my next move.

I have little tolerance for coaches who start acting up when their team is up by an insurmountable margin. A bench warning is certainly fair. I probably wouldn't have whacked her if she shut up but wouldn't really have a problem with a T in that situation. If I was your partner I also would've told her to look at the scoreboard.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2018, 11:34am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Last night-- coach demonstrating and complaining about a call (when she was up by 32 points). I told her to settle down, we're not going to do that tonight. She told me I was too sensitive. I put an official warning in the book and didn't her anything else all night. Do you whack her? She also then told my partner I'm too sensitive.
Your partner should have whacked her since you had already issued a warning. I had a game last season where I warned a coach in the first half. In the 3rd quarter one of my partner had to engage the coach and was about to issue a warning when he looked at me and realized that HC had already been warned, so he whacked him.
Old Wed Dec 12, 2018, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Your partner should have whacked her since you had already issued a warning. I had a game last season where I warned a coach in the first half. In the 3rd quarter one of my partner had to engage the coach and was about to issue a warning when he looked at me and realized that HC had already been warned, so he whacked him.
I agree with you but I didn't want to tint any opinion in my favor. If a coach said that about my partner after JUST being warned, I'm whacking them. A much wiser man that myself said you promote what you permit, and I fully believe coaches act like this because they are allowed to by people who won't just TCOB when it's warranted.