View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 11:53pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
...that is the question.

Had a drink with a friend of mine who officiates after his game on Saturday. Here's the situation.

1st half, GV game. B coach within 2 min stands up to disagree with an out of bounds call, and yells "Are you kidding me????" My buddy was going to whack him, but partner was standing right there and gave him a stern verbal warning. Later in the half, B1 player pushes A1 in the back on a rebound off a free throw. My buddy gets her for a foul and the following exchange occurs on the FT down at the other end where my buddy is T.
Coach: What did she do wrong there?
Buddy: She pushed her in the back on the rebound.
Coach: Are you sure?
Buddy: Girl started on the block and ended up below the basket because of your player. 100%.
Coach: Are you sure she didn't get out-jumped there?
Buddy: Yep. We're done here.
Coach: She's a D1 volleyball recruit. She could out jump her.
Buddy: Well that wasn't a D1 rebound.
Coach: You're awful chippy tonight.
Buddy: Coach, if you want to discuss it, I'm happy to but don't think I'm not going to banter when you're arguing a good call on the other end of the court.
Coach: We'll see when your grade comes out for the game and I send this tape to the state.

At that point my buddy T's him up. To give some background, the coach is always a prick (I've had him many times), always complaining about good calls, and just doesn't know how to ask a question without being condescending. My buddy has whacked him many times and was trying to have a conversation and avoid a T. He was worked up after the game thinking he shouldn't have let it go on for that long, but I told him it was a conversation during a free throw so I have no problem with it. Also, anytime one of our compadres can get a good jab in at this guy, I fully support it.

My question is this: he probably let it go for too long, but do you have any issue having a conversation with the coach knowing that he's a prick and probably doesn't deserve any of your time?
If he's always a prick, drop the warning on the "Are you kidding me" on the first out of bounds play. Then whack him the next time. Solved. While we always say everyone starts with a clean slate, the truth is that a coach who is famous for being a prick doesn't deserve a long leash.

Prior to the written warning becoming part of the game, I had this EXACT SAME circumstance on an OOB call in the first 30 seconds of the game with a coach who gets whacked at least a dozen times a season. I should've whacked him right then -- he ended up getting one in the second quarter when I was tired of him.