The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 10, 2018, 05:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Back in my coaching days, our athletic director used to tell all his coaches that an occasional slip of the tongue, while not acceptable, but understandable, is part of being human, but as a coach, and teacher, it has to only be an occasional slip of the tongue.
I do not think anything the officials said was a slip of the tongue.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 10, 2018, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post

My question is this: he probably let it go for too long, but do you have any issue having a conversation with the coach knowing that he's a prick and probably doesn't deserve any of your time?
I don't have an issue interacting with coaches like this guy. He got what he deserved in the end. I think his comments would get worse as the night goes on if he was to be ignored and the outcome would be the same; ending with a "T".
Old Mon Dec 10, 2018, 10:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Coaches ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not think anything the officials said was a slip of the tongue.
Read my post. I was responding to Raymond's post about coaches, I was not referring to officials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Funny how the tag of "professionalism" is only supposed to apply to officials, but never the adults who have daily direct supervision over our student-athletes.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Fastball

Here's a situation I faced tonight.
Girls varsity, early second half, I'm the Lead, got a charge call on Home team #22 at the basket. Home bench reacts negatively, assistant coach especially loud. I report the foul, then move to get the ball. (partner bad knees, still on other end of court). The ball had bounced to the home bench and the same assistant had it. I was about 20 feet from him, put out my hands so he could throw the ball to me and he hurled a fastball at me. I made no attempt to catch the ball and T'd him up. He nor the head coach could understand why.
Would any of you had handled it differently?
BTW, this guy is also the Headmaster of the school.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike51 View Post
Girls varsity, early second half, I'm the Lead, got a charge call on Home team #22 at the basket. Home bench reacts negatively, assistant coach especially loud. I report the foul, then move to get the ball. (partner bad knees, still on other end of court). The ball had bounced to the home bench and the same assistant had it. I was about 20 feet from him, put out my hands so he could throw the ball to me and he hurled a fastball at me. I made no attempt to catch the ball and T'd him up. He nor the head coach could understand why.
1. I would have switched on the foul, so I would report and keep moving down the court away from the home bench.
2. The officiating partner can obtain the ball and administer the ensuing throw-in.
3. Anyone who throws the ball at me is getting ejected.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 01:50am
Official Forum Member

For the OP:
That conversation with the coach was way too long and involved. Even during FT attempts officials have players to watch.
Coaches who are pricks don’t deserve any interaction or explanations.
If you say anything at all, keep it to only a few words. Eg I had a good look.
During FT attempts, move 8 feet out onto the floor and ignore the coach.
If the coach behaves inappropriately, issue a warning or technical as necessary.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As soon as the assistant coach gets "loud," the bench is getting at least an official warning from me.

And anyone who "hurls a fastball" at me is getting a flagrant technical foul, but the fact that you gave a regular bench T is fine. Don't be fooled by the attempts of coaches to act oblivious; they know damn well what they're doing.

"Headmaster of the school" means nothing to me. You're on the bench, you get treated like an assistant.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Two man officiating crew on a varsity game?

I feel for ya'.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
...that is the question.

Had a drink with a friend of mine who officiates after his game on Saturday. Here's the situation.

1st half, GV game. B coach within 2 min stands up to disagree with an out of bounds call, and yells "Are you kidding me????" My buddy was going to whack him, but partner was standing right there and gave him a stern verbal warning. Later in the half, B1 player pushes A1 in the back on a rebound off a free throw. My buddy gets her for a foul and the following exchange occurs on the FT down at the other end where my buddy is T.
Coach: What did she do wrong there?
Buddy: She pushed her in the back on the rebound.
Coach: Are you sure?
Are you sure? Yes

Short precise conversations where you can. Having long conversations that end in a T could give a perception that you baited them into it, whether that is true or not. As played out easy T anytime they start talking about what they are going to do in your review or to the state. Assignor/state/association will back you up.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 01:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Clerical Collar Wearing Catholic Priest ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
"Headmaster of the school" means nothing to me. You're on the bench, you get treated like an assistant.
Back in the day, one of our college guys ejected the Saint Anselm College team chaplain. He ejected a clerical collar wearing Catholic priest.

As an additional penalty to the ejection, the team chaplain had to say four Hail Marys and two Our Fathers (rimshot).

(Non-Catholics, check it out on the Google.)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 11, 2018 at 01:49pm.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 01:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Land Of Steady Habits ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
Two man officiating crew on a varsity game?
Mike51 must officiate in Connecticut.

Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 01:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Whack ...

Quote:
Back in the day, one of our college guys ejected the Saint Anselm College team chaplain. He ejected a clerical collar wearing Catholic priest.
I once had a high school varsity game where a habit-wearing Catholic nun was the assistant coach.

Remembering the Saint Anselm story, I couldn't wait to bang her.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 11, 2018 at 02:13pm.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...I couldn't wait to bang her.
Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 02:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Mother Teresa On The Forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
A few years ago, when Hollywood producers, and stars, political figures, and sports figures were being called out on their past indiscretions (MeToo), I told my boss that in this modern internet information age anybody could probably dig up "dirt" on just about anybody else if one looked hard enough, and I mentioned that someone could probably even find some "dirt" on Mother Teresa.

He replied, "Yeah, that slut".

Even though I'm a devout Catholic, I almost fell on the floor laughing my ass off.

Old Tue Dec 11, 2018, 03:35pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I once had a high school varsity game where a habit-wearing Catholic nun was the assistant coach.

Remembering the Saint Anselm story, I couldn't wait to bang her.
Couldn't have combined this with your previous post instead of replying to your own post, a reply that is not even basketball related.