Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 03, 2018, 01:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Like Pouty Kids ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Put the ball on the table and go home.
Better yet, take the ball home with you, like we did when we were pouty kids.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 03, 2018, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
You guys were and continue to be fools. My time is too valuable to work games for free or even less than a full game fee. If there are multiple levels/games then the pay needs to be multiple game fees.
Or you could just want to get better and any fee is a bonus.

But your time is too valuable to get better I suppose?
Old Mon Dec 03, 2018, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Generally speaking, I have never worked a scrimmage where officials were not paid. I indeed have volunteered my services and I never accept money if officiating a scrimmage featuring one of my kids playing.

I may be a fool for other reasons but it seems difficult to label a volunteer a fool. As a parent of players, instead of working concessions or providing other parental services, I offer to officiate scrimmages without pay.
Well said. I've volunteered for many scrimmages and lower level games.

I like to help the coaches/kids/schools/whatever out.

PLUS, it's a chance to get better and improve. I guess my time isn't too valuable for that.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2018, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
Or you could just want to get better and any fee is a bonus.

But your time is too valuable to get better I suppose?
Ah, another holier-than-thou remark.
Old Mon Dec 03, 2018, 11:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Well said. I've volunteered for many scrimmages and lower level games.

I like to help the coaches/kids/schools/whatever out.

PLUS, it's a chance to get better and improve. I guess my time isn't too valuable for that.

As long as it's truly voluntary.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old Tue Dec 04, 2018, 11:00am
Esteemed Forum Member

Voluntary ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Agree 100%.

Here in my little corner of Connecticut, when we used to work free scrimmages, it was always 100% voluntary, with absolutely no strings attached, most times our assigner didn't even know who was volunteering.

No strings tied to assignments, promotion, tournament, "good standing", etc.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Dec 04, 2018, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ah, another holier-than-thou remark.
Not necessarily holier than thou. I just can't stand officials that think they are above stepping on a court for free and doing so is above them.

Mens rec league? I get it. I just believe in helping people out while taking the opportunity to get better and get some rust off. Let's not forget that it can also help you in the long run when the prime contracts are needing officials.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2018, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I'm missing what you are getting it.

Yes, it's truly voluntary. I like to officiate and I like to help people out. Because of the crazy fans/parents, it's hard to get regular joe's to volunteer. I don't mind at all stepping in for that.

Help somebody out, get some exercise, get better, get some rust off. To me it's nothing but a positive thing. Perhaps that is far different in other areas of the country.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2018, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Now I see!!!!!!

After reading BillyMac's response, I see what you were saying.

Yes, it truly is voluntary. I'm also not blind that doing favors for people helps you in the long run. Do I get some better contracts/prime games for helping people out? I suppose I probably have. Honestly, that isn't even on my list of reasons for why I volunteer and work for free.

I don't know how it is where most of you guys live, but local YMCA tourneys can't get good officials because of the screaming from crazy parents and coaches. I love stepping in and helping. Just wish I could get more guys to do the same.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2018, 12:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Vote Early, Vote Often ...

Quote:
Let's not forget that it can also help you in the long run ...
Back when we were working free scrimmages, I'm sure that many officials kept in mind that here in Connecticut coaches vote for state tournament officials.

"Who was that guy that worked our scrimmage for free? BobbyMac, or something like that? Yeah sure, let's vote for BobbyMac.

Damn, I knew that I should have signed the book. But there was no book at the table. It was only a scrimmage. Next time I'll wear a name tag.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 04, 2018 at 12:54pm.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2018, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not necessarily holier than thou. I just can't stand officials that think they are above stepping on a court for free and doing so is above them.

Mens rec league? I get it. I just believe in helping people out while taking the opportunity to get better and get some rust off. Let's not forget that it can also help you in the long run when the prime contracts are needing officials.
You implied he didn't care about getting better because he didn't want to work for free and valued his time by doing things other than officiating free scrimmages. Sorry, but not everyone lives to officiate high school basketball.

So yes, you were being holier-than-thou.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2018, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't know how it is where most of you guys live, but local YMCA tourneys can't get good officials because of the screaming from crazy parents and coaches. I love stepping in and helping. Just wish I could get more guys to do the same.
That's the YMCA's fault as far as I'm concerned. I have no sympathy for organizations that pay lip service to "sportsmanship" and "thinking about the kids" while simultaneously letting faux coaches and little Johnny's dad run loose.

And wreck/travel ball officials that sell their souls to make minimal cash working unorganized street ball don't do any favors for the officiating avocation as a whole.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2018, 01:57pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
You implied he didn't care about getting better because he didn't want to work for free and valued his time by doing things other than officiating free scrimmages. Sorry, but not everyone lives to officiate high school basketball.

So yes, you were being holier-than-thou.

Frankly, this mindset (not yours, but the "for the kids" one) has kept game fees low while teams seem to be able to afford new uniforms seemingly every year.

We have conferences who have raised fees only $10 over the last 25+ years.

There's no shame in wanting to be paid for our work. Schools see value in having officials and not coaches with whistles for scrimmages. Officials should be paid for their time and labor just like in any other job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Tue Dec 04, 2018, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Frankly, this mindset (not yours, but the "for the kids" one) has kept game fees low while teams seem to be able to afford new uniforms seemingly every year.

We have conferences who have raised fees only $10 over the last 25+ years.

There's no shame in wanting to be paid for our work. Schools see value in having officials and not coaches with whistles for scrimmages. Officials should be paid for their time and labor just like in any other job.
Exactly. It's also a large part of why conditions/pay in offseason tournaments haven't gotten better.

If the schools want free officials, let the parents who b*tch in the stands do it.
Old Tue Dec 04, 2018, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Coaches Biggest Problem With New Rules ...

Quote:

As far as I’m concerned, this is the fault of YMCA league officials(and by that I mean the people who run the league, not the officials who referee the games) failure to hold their parents and coaches accountable for the values of sportsmanship they claim they stand for. As officials, we can only do so much. If league officials won’t back us, or take extra steps when the same parents and coaches constantly get out of line, many of us will choose to spend our time doing something besides putting up with that crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by WhistlesAndStripes; Tue Dec 04, 2018 at 02:56pm.