The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 02, 2018, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

IAABO Exam #19

Billy's not the only one getting questions wrong!

"Thrower-in A-1 reaches the ball through the plane of the boundary line and, with his/her free hand, intentionally pushes defender B-1. The official charges A-1 with an intentional personal foul. Is the official correct?"

The answer is yes. The reference given was 4-19-3d which mentions "excessive contact". How is this excessive contact? It is no different than pushing during rebounding. The question says "intentionally", but it has been said many times here that the word "intentional" does not appear in the definition of "Intentional Foul".

What am I missing?
Old Fri Nov 02, 2018, 08:06am
Courageous When Prudent

It is virtually impossible for the thrower-in to push a defender and it not be an intentional action. What purpose does the thrower-in have in taking one hand and putting it across the boundary line?

And I have called intentional fouls on rebounding action.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2018, 01:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

ODog Is Correct ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
"Thrower-in A-1 reaches the ball through the plane of the boundary line and, with his/her free hand, intentionally pushes defender B-1. The official charges A-1 with an intentional personal foul. Is the official correct?"
I actually got this question correct, and did so easily, because I've read about this situation somewhere before and remembered the answer.

I did a casebook search (the 2011-12 Casebook is the most recent casebook I have on my hard drive), a Forum search, and a search of the Forum's Past Interpretations Archive, and came up with nothing.

I must be remembering a past IAABO Refresher Exam question. In the IAABO Universe, Refresher Exam questions and answers are often precedent setting, carrying similar weight to NFHS Casebook plays, or NFHS Annual Interpretations, to those of us who live in IAABO Universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
The questions are recycled ad nauseam year after year, plucked from previous exams and reconstituted ...
I have thirty-eight years of hard copy (paper) IAABO Refresher Exams and, unfortunately, have no other method except using my eyes to search these, which would take hours.

Maybe somebody can search more recent Casebook plays (Nevadaref) and come up with a citation to confirm the IAABO Refresher Exam answer.

I'm positive that I've read about this situation somewhere before and that it was interpreted as an intentional foul.

Now, where are my house keys?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 02, 2018 at 02:24pm.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2018, 01:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Similar, But Not Exactly The Same ...

Quote:
"Thrower-in A-1 reaches the ball through the plane of the boundary line and, with his/her free hand, intentionally pushes defender B-1. The official charges A-1 with an intentional personal foul. Is the official correct?" The answer is yes.
Basketball Rules Interpretations - 2009-10

SITUATION 1: A1 has the ball out of bounds for a throw-in and is being guarded by B1. Before releasing the ball, A1 loses his/her balance, reaches out and puts his/her hand on B1 (who is inbounds) in an effort to regain his/her balance. RULING: Throw-in violation by A1. A1 is required to remain out of bounds until releasing the throw-in pass. When A1 touches an inbounds player, he/she now has inbound status. However, if the contact on B1 is illegal, a personal foul should be called. COMMENT: A throw-in violation must be called in order to maintain the balance between offense and defense. (2-3; 9-2-1; 9-2-5)

There must be a difference between A1 losing his balance, reaching out, and putting his hand on B1; and A1 intentionally pushing defender B-1.

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...tml#post917559
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 02, 2018 at 03:47pm.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2018, 02:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Flagged ...

I attended an IAABO Refresher Exam meeting a few nights ago. About thirty of us got together to go over the questions and to compare our individual answers with each other, and with the site host's official IAABO answer sheet.

The site host indicated that our local interpreter flagged question #16 as confusing or misleading, and that while the answer remained "Yes", the question and answer would be further discussed at our late November board meeting.

Our local interpreter also flagged questions #35 and #37 as confusing or misleading, to also be further discussed at our late November board meeting.

Old Fri Nov 02, 2018, 02:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Groucho Marx On The Forum, How Cool Is That ???

Quote:
Billy's not the only one getting questions wrong!
Join the club. I get the feeling that it's not a very exclusive club.

Send your annual dues to Mark Padgett. He takes MasterCard, Visa, your checking account number, your savings account number, or cash in unmarked bills in small denominations (the way they usually do it in Chicago).

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 02, 2018 at 02:25pm.