The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 01, 2018, 05:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

2018-19 IAABO Refresher Exam Question #26 ...

2018-19 IAABO Refresher Exam Question #26: A-1 is awarded one free throw. After the successful free throw the lead official recognizes that one player from each team is occupying the first marked lane space. After a brief discussion the officials rule this a double free throw violation and cancel the free throw. Are the officials correct? Answer Key: No

Again, I'm pissed because I got this wrong. I answered "Yes".

Team A violated for being in the first marked lane space. Team B violated because it wasn't in the first marked lane space. Double violation, no point can be scored.

8-1-4-C: The first marked lane spaces on each side of the lane, above and adjacent to the neutral-zone marks, shall be occupied by opponents of the free thrower. No teammate of the free thrower shall occupy either of these marked lane spaces.

9-1-Penalty 3: If there is a simultaneous violation by each team, the ball becomes dead and no point can be scored.

Could the correct answer be "No" because the violation wasn't noticed in a timely manner?

9-1-4: The restrictions apply ... until the free throw ends.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Nov 01, 2018, 07:05pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
2018-19 IAABO Refresher Exam Question #26: A-1 is awarded one free throw. After the successful free throw the lead official recognizes that one player from each team is occupying the first marked lane space. After a brief discussion the officials rule this a double free throw violation and cancel the free throw. Are the officials correct? Answer Key: No

Team A violated for being in the first marked lane space. Team B violated because it wasn't in the first marked lane space. Double violation, no point can be scored.

8-1-4-C: The first marked lane spaces on each side of the lane, above and adjacent to the neutral-zone marks, shall be occupied by opponents of the free thrower. No teammate of the free thrower shall occupy either of these marked lane spaces.

9-1-Penalty 3: If there is a simultaneous violation by each team, the ball becomes dead and no point can be scored.

Could the correct answer be "No" because the violation wasn't noticed in a timely manner?

Billy:

I agree with you. That is three questions you need to ask Roger about.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Nov 01, 2018, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The answer key is correct. The double violation needs to be recognized during the FT, not after. There is a Casebook play covering this.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2018, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

9.1.2 SITUATION B:
A1 is shooting the first of a bonus free-throw situation. A4 and A5 are positioned in the first two marked lane spaces (near the end line) and B4 and B5 are positioned in the second two marked lane spaces. The incorrect alignment is discovered by the officials (a) before the ball is at the disposal of A1; (b) after the ball is at A1's disposal, but before the try is in flight; (c) when the try is in flight; (d) when the successful try goes through the cylinder; (e) when the unsuccessful try is rebounding off the basket ring; or (f) when the rebound of the unsuccessful try is securely in A4's possession.
RULING: In (a), the administering official shall "reset" the free throw and put the players in their proper marked lane spaces. In (b) and (c) an official shall sound his/her whistle immediately and call a simultaneous violation, utilizing the alternating-possession procedure to put the ball in play. In (d), (e) and (f) the free throw has ended and the improper alignment is ignored. (4-20-3, 9-1-2 PENALTY 3)
Old Thu Nov 01, 2018, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

If you realize A1 traveled 1-2 seconds after he has completed the move, do you blow your whistle and say, "Crap, he traveled a few seconds back, guys. Team B possession"?

NO.
Old Thu Nov 01, 2018, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
If you realize A1 traveled 1-2 seconds after he has completed the move, do you blow your whistle and say, "Crap, he traveled a few seconds back, guys. Team B possession"?

NO.
1 second, sure. 5 seconds no. 2, probably not.

1 second is actually good patient whistle. Such a delay is generally advisable to give you a chance to actually think about what you saw and not end up blowing your whistle when you shouldn't. Someone who blows their whistle at the instant a travel happens will be blowing a lot of calls.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2018, 11:42am
Esteemed Forum Member

Statute Of Limitations ...

Quote:
2018-19 IAABO Refresher Exam Question #26: A-1 is awarded one free throw. After the successful free throw the lead official recognizes that one player from each team is occupying the first marked lane space. After a brief discussion the officials rule this a double free throw violation and cancel the free throw. Are the officials correct? Answer Key: No.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The answer key is correct. The double violation needs to be recognized during the FT, not after.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
9.1.2 SITUATION B:
A1 is shooting the first of a bonus free-throw situation. A4 and A5 are positioned in the first two marked lane spaces (near the end line) and B4 and B5 are positioned in the second two marked lane spaces. The incorrect alignment is discovered by the officials (a) before the ball is at the disposal of A1; (b) after the ball is at A1's disposal, but before the try is in flight; (c) when the try is in flight; (d) when the successful try goes through the cylinder; (e) when the unsuccessful try is rebounding off the basket ring; or (f) when the rebound of the unsuccessful try is securely in A4's possession.
RULING: In (a), the administering official shall "reset" the free throw and put the players in their proper marked lane spaces. In (b) and (c) an official shall sound his/her whistle immediately and call a simultaneous violation, utilizing the alternating-possession procedure to put the ball in play. In (d), (e) and (f) the free throw has ended and the improper alignment is ignored. (4-20-3, 9-1-2 PENALTY 3)
Thanks Nevadaref. Great citation.

Nevadaref is, and will always be, the "Citation King".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 02, 2018 at 02:40pm.