The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Question Pre-tip off technical foul and non-starter shoots the free throw

If there is a pre-game technical foul, such as an administrative T or for dunking during warm-ups, the shooting team has the option for a substitute, A-6, to shoot the foul shots. Does this mean, as in 3-2-2a, that A-6 has been allowed to become a starter and that he/she must start the game? Or can A-6 shoot the fouls shots and return to the bench, allowing the regular starters to start the game?
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Substitutes who become players are never required to "play a tick."
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 10:05am
Esteemed Forum Member

Confucius Says ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp View Post
If there is a pre-game technical foul, such as an administrative T or for dunking during warm-ups, the shooting team has the option for a substitute, A-6, to shoot the foul shots. Does this mean, as in 3-2-2a, that A-6 has been allowed to become a starter and that he/she must start the game? Or can A-6 shoot the fouls shots and return to the bench, allowing the regular starters to start the game?
Must sit a tick, don’t have to play a tick.

In my opinion, the substituted starter (let's call him A-5) has to sit a tick. A player who has been replaced, or directed to leave the game, shall not reenter (with rare exception) before the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has been started properly following his, or her, replacement. The clock didn't start on the free throw for the technical foul.

Since a player doesn't have to play a tick, A-7 can come off the bench to replace A-6, if the coach desires. "Allowing the regular starters to start the game" no longer applies because the game had already started when the ball became live for the free throw for the technical foul.

Note: The "with rare exception" above applies to situations where a team, due to disqualification, or injury, would be forced to play with fewer than five players.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 23, 2018 at 12:21pm.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Must sit a tick, don’t have to play a tick.

In my opinion, the substituted starter (let's call him A-5) has to sit a tick. A player who has been replaced, or directed to leave the game, shall not reenter (with rare exception) before the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has been started properly following his, or her, replacement. The clock didn't start on the free throw for the technical foul.
I disagree. A5 hasn't been substituted for...the game hasn't started yet. The situation that we're discussing is the changing of a designated starter. Team A may change everyone 100 times before the 10-minute mark or even after at the cost of a T. None of those count. Until the game actually starts, the changes are not substitutions.

Once the FTs have been taken, there is a substitution opportunity and and A5 may come into the game.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I disagree. A5 hasn't been substituted for...the game hasn't started yet. The situation that we're discussing is the changing of a designated starter. Team A may change everyone 100 times before the 10-minute mark or even after at the cost of a T. None of those count. Until the game actually starts, the changes are not substitutions.

Once the FTs have been taken, there is a substitution opportunity and and A5 may come into the game.
The game doesn’t start with the free throws when there is a pregame technical foul?
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 11:27am
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Get Ready To Rumble ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
The game doesn’t start with the free throws when there is a pregame technical foul?
Since the game hasn't started I guess that any points scored from the technical foul free throws don't count. Just like any points scored during the warmup layup lines don't count.

Seriously, the game started when the ball became live, when it's at the disposal of the free thrower for the first free throw for the technical foul.

Designated starter A-5 has to sit a tick.

Also, while I wouldn't grant a request for timeout before the ball became live when the tossed ball leaves the official’s hand during a "normal" jump ball "start" (game, or overtime), I would grant a request for a timeout in rfp's situation after the ball became live when it's at the disposal of the free thrower for the free throws for the technical foul (depending on who requests it, and when it's requested).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Yes, it does. How does that relate to my response?

At the time A5 is changed to A6, the game hasn't started yet. Then, the FTs happen. That starts the game, not the replacement of the designated starter. A5 can be substituted into the game after the FTs since A5 is not reentering...A5 was never in.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Oct 23, 2018 at 11:36am.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 11:31am
Esteemed Forum Member

First Live Ball ???

Quote:
... the game hasn't started yet ... Until the game actually starts ...
Why hasn't the game "started", and if it hasn't "started", when does it actually "start".

6-2-1: The game and each extra period begins when the ball becomes live as specified in 6-1-2 for a jump ball, throw-in or free throw.

3-3-4: A player who has been replaced, or directed to leave the game shall not re-enter before the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has been started properly following his/her replacement.

Once the game starts, the designated starter rule longer applies.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 23, 2018 at 11:37am.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 11:40am
Esteemed Forum Member

Replaced ...

Quote:
... A5 is not reentering...A5 was never in.
Great point, but he was legally replaced as a designated starter.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 23, 2018 at 12:45pm.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 12:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

First Free Throw ...

Quote:
Once the FTs have been taken, there is a substitution opportunity ...
Isn't there a substitution opportunity after the first free throw has been taken?

After A-6 takes his first free throw attempt, can't A-8 replace A-6 and attempt the second free throw? And then, can't A-9 replace A-8 before the throwin?

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 23, 2018 at 12:36pm.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 12:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Legal Substitution/Replacement ...

Quote:
Team A may change everyone 100 times before the 10-minute mark or even after at the cost of a T. None of those count. Until the game actually starts, the changes are not substitutions.
Another good point by Camron Rust. But this is a third situation. It's not before the ten minute mark, it's after. It's not at the expense of a technical foul, it's a legal substitution/replacement after the ten minute mark.

Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Another good point by Camron Rust. But this is a third situation. It's not before the ten minute mark, it's after. It's not at the expense of a technical foul, it's a legal substitution/replacement after the ten minute mark.
It is after the 10 minute mark and the changing of a designated starter. Only the T is excepted. Otherwise, it is just like any other change of a designated starter.

If A6 had been the designated starter up to 12:37 on the pregame clock and it was changed to A5 at that time, would not you allow A6 to enter the game to shoot the FTs for the T?
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 01:11pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Why hasn't the game "started", and if it hasn't "started", when does it actually "start".

6-2-1: The game and each extra period begins when the ball becomes live as specified in 6-1-2 for a jump ball, throw-in or free throw.

3-3-4: A player who has been replaced, or directed to leave the game shall not re-enter before the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has been started properly following his/her replacement.

Once the game starts, the designated starter rule longer applies.
Wow, you guys are totaling missing Camron's point. There is no substitution prior to the free throw b/c the game has not started yet. It starts when A6 gets the ball at her/his disposal for the free throw. Was A1 substituted for after the ball was put at A6's disposal?
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 01:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ten Minute Mark ...

Quote:
If A6 had been the designated starter up to 12:37 on the pregame clock and it was changed to A5 at that time, would not you allow A6 to enter the game to shoot the FTs for the T?
Another great point from Camron Rust. I would allow A6 to enter.

In the original situation, A6 replaced A5, I assume after the ten minute mark, or we wouldn't be discussing this. Let's keep our discussion exclusively after the ten minute mark.

A6 replaced A5. A5 by must sit a tick.

That's my wavering story and I'm only sticking to it long enough for somebody to push me over the "sit a tick" cliff.

Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 01:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Moving Toward The White Light ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Wow, you guys are totaling missing Camron's point.
I wasn't seeing it at the beginning, but I'm now starting to see the light, but I'm not yet 100% convinced.

Quote:
That's my wavering story and I'm only sticking to it long enough for somebody to push me over the "sit a tick" cliff.