The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 10, 2018, 02:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Slow Boat To China ...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nba-waste...154818303.html
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 11, 2018, 07:21am
Courageous When Prudent

Would it be too much to ask to put something in the title that is relevant to officiating?
Old Thu Oct 11, 2018, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

The move would NOT be legal in HS or NCAA because the traveling rule is different.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2018, 07:38am
Esteemed Forum Member

Stayin' Alive (The Bee Gees, 1977) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Would it be too much to ask to put something in the title that is relevant to officiating?
Curiosity killed the cat, but it didn't kill Raymond.

Seriously. I forgot that a thread title is much more important than a post title (that many seldom read). Thread titles are on the Forum for many days. Sorry.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 11, 2018 at 07:48am.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2018, 07:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

Always Listen To bob ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
The move would NOT be legal in HS or NCAA because the traveling rule is different.
That's what I thought, but being unfamiliar with NBA travel rules, I needed a confirmation.

Old Thu Oct 11, 2018, 07:47am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Curiosity killed the cat, but it didn't kill Raymond.
You always say you write stuff for the benefit of new officials. How would any new official know what they are supposed to be learning about when you make a post with no indication about the subject? Then you don't post any relevant information as to how this article relates to HS rules or interpretations.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2018, 07:48am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
That's what I thought, but being unfamiliar with NBA travel rules, I needed a confirmation.
The article tells you it's legal in the NBA. You didn't know whether or not the action is legal in NFHS?
Old Thu Oct 11, 2018, 08:00am
Esteemed Forum Member

Entertainment Value ...

Quote:
The article tells you it's legal in the NBA. You didn't know whether or not the action is legal in NFHS?
I was sure that it was illegal for NFHS, just wanted to confirm the "entertainment value" rule set of the NBA.

Old Thu Oct 11, 2018, 08:01am
Esteemed Forum Member

A Zero ...

That's what my seventh grade English/Social Studies teacher, Mr. Britton, used to say whenever we answered a question incorrectly.

Quote:
Then you don't post any relevant information as to how this article relates to HS rules or interpretations.
Just wanted to spark a discussion among the curious. I obviously failed miserably.

Quote:
... some folks find any little thing to complain about.
Quote:
Seriously. I forgot that a thread title is much more important than a post title (that many seldom read). Thread titles are on the Forum for many days. Sorry.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 11, 2018 at 08:07am.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2018, 08:39am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I was sure that it was illegal for NFHS, just wanted to confirm the "entertainment value" rule set of the NBA.
Confirmed by whom? We have an NBA ref in our forum? Wasn't that question answered by an NBA entity in the article YOU posted?

Quote:
The move caused such a buzz that the NBA weighed in on Wednesday morning and the verdict. . .
Quote:
This is a legal play. Although James puts the ball behind his back, he only takes two steps after the gather of the ball and therefore it is NOT a travel.
If your goal is really to engage newer officials into understanding the rules, then post the rule or something related to the rule. If I were a newer official, I would be discouraged by having to navigate through a whole bunch of unnecessary minutiae.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Oct 11, 2018 at 08:56am.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2018, 09:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

Rules Sets ...

Quote:
Confirmed by whom? We have an NBA ref in our forum?
We have a few Forum members who are familiar with the differences between NBA, WNBA, FIBA, NCAA-M, NCAA-W, and NFHS rules, I am not one of them, and seek explanations from those that know and possibly understand the differences.

Old Thu Oct 11, 2018, 09:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

Obviously A Failure ...

Quote:
If your goal is really to engage newer officials into understanding the rules, then post the rule or something related to the rule.
My goal, obviously a failure, was to start a discussion regarding NBA travel rules compared to NFHS travel rules to those who know the differences, which would probably not be aimed at just new officials, but all officials.

Harden's move being legal, or illegal, made quite a splash on the interent's social media, so I figured it would make the same splash here on the Forum, and again, I was wrong.

I can tell you why this move is illegal by NFHS rules, but I can't even begin to tell you why its legal by NBA rules. bob jenkins confirmed it's NBA legal, maybe someone else can tell us why it's legal. Something about two steps?

Old Thu Oct 11, 2018, 10:03am
Do not give a damn!!

I am also confused completely by the title or what is the goal of the posting of this. NBA rules are different than amateur rules. Similar to the NFL compared to the NF or NCAA. Not sure why people get up in arms about this difference. But it would help if we actually knew what the rule was that applied either in the title or what we are to comment about. But that it sometimes is too much to ask of some.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 11, 2018, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
bob jenkins confirmed it's NBA legal,
No, I didn't. I merely said it's illegal in FED and NCAA. And, that the NBA travel rule is different.

No comment on whether that "difference" would make it legal in NBA -- but since the NBA posted IN THE VERY SAME ARTICLE that it was legal, I believe them.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2018, 10:23am
Esteemed Forum Member

A Miserable Failure ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am also confused completely by the title or what is the goal of the posting of this ... if we actually knew what the rule was that applied
I've already fallen on my sword for not realizing the important difference between thread title and a post title. I seldom start a thread, I usually reply to the threads of others. I doubt that many read my post titles.

Quote:
In followup posts, I've made my (failed) goal very clear.

Quote:
Just wanted to spark a discussion among the curious. I obviously failed miserably.
Quote:
My goal, obviously a failure, was to start a discussion regarding NBA travel rules compared to NFHS travel rules to those who know the differences ... Harden's move being legal, or illegal, made quite a splash on the interent's social media, so I figured it would make the same splash here on the Forum, and again, I was wrong. I can tell you why this move is illegal by NFHS rules, but I can't even begin to tell you why its legal by NBA rules. bob jenkins confirmed it's NBA legal, maybe someone else can tell us why it's legal. Something about two steps?
Again, I don't know the NBA rule, so I couldn't include it I any of my posts. I could probably find it on the internet, but I figured (maybe incorrectly) that a few Forum members (with a wealth of knowledge) with a passing interest in NBA rules could provide that information.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 11, 2018 at 10:27am.