Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 25, 2018, 10:45am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Bay State ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Thankfully I don't referee in Massachusetts.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Sep 25, 2018, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

SC Official, the point is to indicate that there are cases where officials need to get together after time has expired. For some reason, this thread digressed into BillyMac saying that officials should not remain after time expires to prevent the possibility of a post-game technical foul that could change the result of the game. He said that this happened at a college game in New England, and that the team awarded technical foul free throws won the game in OT (the technical foul was for dunking a dead ball). If the officials get together because of a last-second shot decision, and some clown on the "winning" team dunks the ball while the officials remain on the court, I have no problem with assessing the technical foul, if the points from the free throws could determine the outcome of the game, because this is not a situation that the officials could have reasonably foreseen or prevented, and the officials have rules support for making such a call.

I would prefer that dunks before the game and in intermissions become legal in NFHS, just as in NCAA, because that would remove another provision of the rules that officials would need to enforce, and would allow players that dunk to properly warm up, provided that the rims are not damaged. However, the NFHS basketball rules committee would have to pass such a proposal (or state rules committees would have to unilaterally adopt such a proposal, as has happened in 8 states and DC with a shot clock). Even better would be if dunks before a game, in intermissions, or after the game become legal, because that would eliminate the play that BillyMac mentioned.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2018, 12:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Delay Of Game ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
... BillyMac saying that officials should not remain after time expires to prevent the possibility of a post-game technical foul that could change the result of the game.
That's not what I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... the interpreter of our local high school IAABO board encouraged us to get off the floor and away from the visual confines of the playing area as soon as possible. No signing the book. No waiting for the hand shake line. No talking to a friendly fan, police officer in the corner, site director, or athletic director. Just make eye contact with the official scorekeeper to "approve" the final score, and run, not walk, off the court, away from the "visual confines of the playing area" as soon as possible ...
As soon as possible means no signing the book, no waiting for the hand shake line, no talking to a friendly fan, police officer in the corner, site director, or athletic director.

As soon as possible doesn't mean to leave before any scorekeeping issues are rectified.

Once one leaves the visual confines of the court, by rule, one can't come back to correct any errors.

Many, many years ago, we had a guy on another local board (originally trained by my local board) who did that (he actually came out of the locker room) and it didn't work out very well for him. He made the first page of all the sports sections in all the newspapers in the entire state. Phineas T. Barnum, the nineteenth century American showman, and circus owner (born in Connecticut) said, "There's no such thing as bad publicity". He was wrong, dead wrong. There is such a thing as bad publicity.

Quote:
I would prefer that dunks before the game and in intermissions become legal in NFHS.

Please, please wait until I hang up my whistle for good.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Sep 25, 2018 at 01:37pm.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2018, 12:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I would prefer that dunks before the game and in intermissions become legal in NFHS, just as in NCAA, because that would remove another provision of the rules that officials would need to enforce, and would allow players that dunk to properly warm up, provided that the rims are not damaged. However, the NFHS basketball rules committee would have to pass such a proposal (or state rules committees would have to unilaterally adopt such a proposal, as has happened in 8 states and DC with a shot clock). Even better would be if dunks before a game, in intermissions, or after the game become legal, because that would eliminate the play that BillyMac mentioned.
This is where you being young gets in the way. Most high schools do not have the money or the resources to simply replace a basket if broken or the liability if some kid falls on this head. Even at the NCAA level, depending on the level of college games, it is not allowed to dunk. I can tell you that NAIA and JUCO have rules against dunking in the pre-game based on several factors. So that means many lower level college ranks does not do what the NCAA D1 does because of money. I remember when the RA was first put in at the NCAA level, the D2 and D3 did not even have to put an RA on the floor for a year or so because of the lack of resources to change the court. I do not see the NF changing this stance at all. There have been kids that died for trying to dunk and falling incorrectly.

Believe it or not, there are actually reasons for things being done a certain way. And those reasonings have had a longer history than you would be aware of because you have not been officiating very long. A Shot clock is one thing, a rule that might cause other problems is another.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 25, 2018, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

We still cant even get HS schools to put down coaching box lines, let alone (heaven forbid) a possible RA line or a shot clock. How many years has that been a requirement to have the coaches box marked now?
Old Tue Sep 25, 2018, 10:12pm
Courageous When Prudent

Plays number 1 and number 4 are not technicals. Play number 3 is easily a technical. Play number 2 is 50-50, and I guess depends on the mood of the officials on that evening.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Sep 26, 2018 at 12:46pm.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2018, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Unnecessary post belabouring an unnecessary point.

Not trying to advocate for the devil but . . .

Since I rarely see coaches, trainers or camps that teach dunking. Most kids learn to do it from peers or emulation. As a result there is very little consistent technique or application in terms of dunking. So if a kid goes up to dunk and pulls himself (or herself i guess) up, but every time they've dunked that is what they've done to land back down veritcaly instead of staggered or off balance. Then the chin up is really what they are doing to protect themselves.

If a kid is not hanging on the rim for a long time, slapping back board, or hanging by 1 arm acting like Tarzan up there - we probably just need to let i go.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!