Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 12, 2018, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Spare me.

Defending oneself = ego. Laughable.
I have to assume you either didn't watch the video with a critical eye or was involved or know someone that was. Probably the former.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2018, 12:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I speak as someone who was threatened after a baseball game by a parent years ago.

I could've run to the car and drove away, but I had gear on and it just seemed a bit ridiculous to run from a place where I just made $50 working a 3 hour baseball game. I wanted to change clothes and not deal with idiots.

So I told the guy I'd drop him with my mask and then I'd call the police to have him arrested afterwards. Would I have? No idea. He walked away. I think he thought I was a little bit crazy.

Could I have reacted "better"? At that moment, I simply didn't care.

Too much blaming the victim going on here. These officials were the VICTIMS.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2018, 01:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I speak as someone who was threatened after a baseball game by a parent years ago.

I could've run to the car and drove away, but I had gear on and it just seemed a bit ridiculous to run from a place where I just made $50 working a 3 hour baseball game. I wanted to change clothes and not deal with idiots.

So I told the guy I'd drop him with my mask and then I'd call the police to have him arrested afterwards. Would I have? No idea. He walked away. I think he thought I was a little bit crazy.

And baseball is similar to summer basketball or the kinds of events shown in this situation. Often you have no place to go and several times in baseball I was confronted or by a partner that was confronted about something after a game. Often you had to say things to make them think you were either a little crazy or that you threaten to call the police. People usually are not froggy enough to do anything, but I am not taking a chance. And walking away does not always solve the issue some of these people think it will. They are just lucky they did not have to deal with a situation.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 12, 2018, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Unfortunately, that example does not relate to the OP. There HAS to be clarity and recognition that dealing with minors (under the age of 18) and adults is incredibly different.

Here's a few comments from legal professionals as it relates to an adult asking if he has the right to fight back against a 16 year old, if the kid initiated a physical confrontation. Take heed. You may not like it, but it's reality. In addition, you likely would not be officiating youth sports anymore, especially if your engagement in the violence causes harm to a minor.

"It is simply better to turn away and not engage him. You can only use self defense as a defense when charged with a crime. What you are contemplating is actually being arrested and charged with harassment or third degree assault and then raising self defense as an affirmative defense. My suggestion is to not expose yourself to a night or weekend in jail, pretrial serves, posting bond, hiring an attorney, etc. Any incident could very well be viewed by law enforcement as at least disorderly conduct of having a mutual fight. You simply don't want to go down this long and expensive path. No one is going to advise you as an adult to strike anyone, let alone a child."

"Nothing but bad things will come from you striking a 16 year old."
Old Thu Jul 12, 2018, 01:28pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post
Unfortunately, that example does not relate to the OP. There HAS to be clarity and recognition that dealing with minors (under the age of 18) and adults is incredibly different.

Here's a few comments from legal professionals as it relates to an adult asking if he has the right to fight back against a 16 year old, if the kid initiated a physical confrontation. Take heed. You may not like it, but it's reality. In addition, you likely would not be officiating youth sports anymore, especially if your engagement in the violence causes harm to a minor.

"It is simply better to turn away and not engage him. You can only use self defense as a defense when charged with a crime. What you are contemplating is actually being arrested and charged with harassment or third degree assault and then raising self defense as an affirmative defense. My suggestion is to not expose yourself to a night or weekend in jail, pretrial serves, posting bond, hiring an attorney, etc. Any incident could very well be viewed by law enforcement as at least disorderly conduct of having a mutual fight. You simply don't want to go down this long and expensive path. No one is going to advise you as an adult to strike anyone, let alone a child."

I'd take my chances if I thought I was threatened. Better the attacker than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Thu Jul 12, 2018, 01:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I'm not a teacher so I do not really care. I am a parent and if the right thing happens I will knock out a 16-year-old if they are doing something to my child or if they are harming my wife. When you say this, keep in mind you are doing this through a very narrow lens. Because you must realize that 16-year-olds might commit crimes where they will be confronted. This just happens to be a situation at a sporting event, but not all situations are at sporting events or even in schools where kids have assaulted people or been involved in mob mentality.

You might be right, but I will take my chances when one comes after me and starts throwing punches. If I am an official I am still a person underneath the shirt.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 12, 2018, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
I have to assume you either didn't watch the video with a critical eye or was involved or know someone that was. Probably the former.
I'm simply going to give the official the benefit of the doubt given what these types of events are known for. You've chosen not to.

Glad to know you're holier than thou. Hope you're not my partner if I'm ever in a situation like this.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2018, 03:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Glad to know you're holier than thou. Hope you're not my partner if I'm ever in a situation like this.
Exactly and that is the point of this. I do not want to work with people that think we only should walk away when we have nowhere to go. Sometimes you have to stand up for yourself and it does not often relate to actual violence, but if they believe they can just run up on you without response, they will.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 12, 2018, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm simply going to give the official the benefit of the doubt given what these types of events are known for.

You've chosen not to.
Fair enough.

And, I have definitely chosen to doubt the officials involved exercised common sense before and during the incident.

But, I think there is a lot to be learned for anyone and everyone that has viewed the clip and has read this thread.

Quote:
Hope you're not my partner if I'm ever in a situation like this.
I will continue to live comfortably with that for a whole lot of reasons.

Last edited by #olderthanilook; Thu Jul 12, 2018 at 04:10pm.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2018, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am a parent and if the right thing happens I will knock out a 16-year-old if they are doing something to my child or if they are harming my wife.
Wait...what? This discussion was never about defending a wife or child. Let's stay on topic and point.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2018, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Man the what ifs and walking on water here. Coulda, shoulda, woulda, but actually did get assaulted by a bunch of "kids" who happen to be bigger than him. I love excuses for crappy behavior.

It's why I always tell women to not dress provocatively it only incites men, and that in turn is their fault for dressing provocatively.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2018, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
"We haven't had anybody come forward to file a report on it," Kyle Teems, chief of police in Emerson, Georgia, told ESPN. "Obviously, there is something that happened there. No one has come forward yet."

Possibly an error in judgement by these officials to not file a report???

Or perhaps, maybe if they did take it to the police, their own behinds might be in trouble.....
Old Thu Jul 12, 2018, 05:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
Wait...what? This discussion was never about defending a wife or child. Let's stay on topic and point.
It was said basically there was no reason to get into with a 16-year-old in any case. I showed this to my wife and she had a visceral position and even suggested that she would likely do something if faced with this situation. So yes there are situations were not alone or without people that might also take a position on what is going on. I also do not know the relationship of all the officials in this case either. There might have been some family members involved. If there is no reason to react as a human, then own it for all situations when you take that position.

I was at a tournament yesterday with 70 courts where some people had family members working as officials or working with family members. I would doubt there is just a "walk away" attitude if certain things go down in certain places. This is the topic. When you suggest there is nothing that we should do because we have the magical stripped shirt on, you are not taking into all the accounts of what could happen. Just because it is not what you imagined in your mind, does not mean making these points are not apart of the conversation. Many of us have life experience in these situations you might not have.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 12, 2018, 06:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
"We haven't had anybody come forward to file a report on it," Kyle Teems, chief of police in Emerson, Georgia, told ESPN. "Obviously, there is something that happened there. No one has come forward yet."

Or perhaps, maybe if they did take it to the police, their own behinds might be in trouble.....

Keep blaming the victims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Thu Jul 12, 2018, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Just stop. You’re trying too hard.