View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 08, 2018, 10:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

The other coach has said the team was fighting amongst itself and completely started the physical confrontation with the officials.

A couple of interesting omments on Deadspin:

"Officiating AAU basketball is not a fun experience. I refuse to work any more tournaments. They are totally money-making operations first. Even last year’s incidents with Lamar Ball’s team are not unusual.

In New England, there are only one or two organizations running most of the tournaments. No matter how much experience the official has, they still want you to work 3-4 games unpaid so they can “evaluate” you to see if you can handle that level. And their rates are barely half what we can get for travel ball and high school level games. Sadly, there are officials struggling for work who will do those games, sometimes 8-9 a day, because they need the money, so the rates will stay low because there will always be someone willing to take it."

Since the tournaments are all about money, they need to get in as many games as possible on the schedule. They tell officials not to call too many fouls, so the games stay on time. This leads to games getting very physical and out of hand. The directors will also overrule officials when it comes to technical fouls and ejections, so they can keep the teams happy and coming back ($$$$)."

"You are 1000% correct. I’d refereed off and on for 40+ years. At one point was asked to start calling NCAA-III games (4 days before 1st game destroyed my R hip). Then this new organization came in, very political, and under the premise of better organization, more professional and consistent, etc. The same thing you discussed: work tournament games FREE for two days, 40 miles from home to be “evaluated” by the new guys. Overturned my T on a coach who ran onto a floor screaming at me. The team happened to be part of an organization sponsored by an NBA player who lived in the area. The pay wasn’t what it was under the old system. I’m done and don’t miss it."

Who would put up with stuff like this? As a profession/avocation why do we tolrate such shitty pay and treatment?