The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 20, 2018, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

That is why I give my partners the index finger in the air signal, and say 1 minute. At ~ 10 seconds remaining, if I am responsible for the clock, I tap my chest, to let my partners know that I have responsibility for the last-second shot. This allows me to anticipate the end of a period. I also make it a point to scan the clocks (DC, MD, and some local private school leagues use a shot clock) in transition, on changes of possesion, and whenever they start/stop.
Old Sun May 20, 2018, 01:35am
Esteemed Forum Member

Please Give Me The Finger ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
At ~ 10 seconds remaining, if I am responsible for the clock, I tap my chest, to let my partners know that I have responsibility for the last-second shot.
... an "official" IAABO mechanic and signal, yet IAABO doesn't offer an "official" signal for making your partner aware that the the end of the period is nearing. I've had partners give me the index finger (most preferred), or point to an imaginary wrist watch, or point to the clock, or even give the tap on the head signal (least preferred since it's already a shot clock violation signal, though we don't use a shot clock for public and parochial high schools in Connecticut).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun May 20, 2018 at 03:05am.
Old Sun May 20, 2018, 09:14am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
That is why I give my partners the index finger in the air signal, and say 1 minute. At ~ 10 seconds remaining, if I am responsible for the clock, I tap my chest, to let my partners know that I have responsibility for the last-second shot. This allows me to anticipate the end of a period. I also make it a point to scan the clocks (DC, MD, and some local private school leagues use a shot clock) in transition, on changes of possesion, and whenever they start/stop.
You need to watch the clock at all times, not just at that time of the game. The clock could have run while it should have been stopped 6 minutes in the quarter.

Peace
Old Sun May 20, 2018, 11:24am
Esteemed Forum Member

Cuckoo Clock ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You need to watch the clock at all times, not just at that time of the game. The clock could have run while it should have been stopped 6 minutes in the quarter.
Good point. Good advice. It just that a clock running down several seconds at the end of the period (especially the fourth period, or an overtime period) will have more of an impact on a team running a last play than if it runs the same amount of time in the middle of a period (assuming no shot clock).

All this Forum advice it good, but let's not forget the help that we always get from the fans. "Clock." "Clock." "Clock." "Clock." "Clock." Those fans are always an official's best friends, always willing to offer their support and praise.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun May 20, 2018, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
You have a point. As mentioned earlier, I also make it a point to scan the clocks (DC, MD, and some local private school leagues use a shot clock) in transition, on changes of possession, and whenever they start/stop. That way, if either clock does not stop, or fails to start, I know what is going on, and can make any necessary corrections.
Old Mon May 21, 2018, 09:55am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
You have a point. As mentioned earlier, I also make it a point to scan the clocks (DC, MD, and some local private school leagues use a shot clock) in transition, on changes of possession, and whenever they start/stop. That way, if either clock does not stop, or fails to start, I know what is going on, and can make any necessary corrections.
The play in the video didn't involve a game with a shot clock, so you don't need to keep on repeating about shot clocks in the Beltway. You should be checking the GAME CLOCK throughout the game, with extra diligence in the last minute of quarters/halves and OT's.
Old Mon May 21, 2018, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

I only have worked in states with shotclocks and I got in a habit of looking at both clocks and repeating 4 numbers. XXYY

The XX were the seconds in the game clock
The YY were the seconds in the shot clock

This way I almost always had definite knowledge of a specific time.
Old Mon May 21, 2018, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I only have worked in states with shotclocks and I got in a habit of looking at both clocks and repeating 4 numbers. XXYY

The XX were the seconds in the game clock
The YY were the seconds in the shot clock

This way I almost always had definite knowledge of a specific time.
deecee, are you from the DC Metro Area? I have worked games both with and without shot clocks, and I look to always keep the game clock (and shot clock) in my peripheral vision, to be aware of 10-second counts, starts, stops, violations (10 and 30, if a shot clock is used), and ends of periods. It is somewhat easier with a shot clock, because shot clocks both encourage me to check the clocks frequently, and because some shot clocks either display the game clock, or are physically connected to the game clock display.

Re: the clocks and blarge videos, it is embarrassing and painful to see a State Tournament crew making basic mistakes that rookies and veterans are constantly reminded about in pre-games. I can only hope that my crews do not call a blarge, and that we do not bungle the time in the final few seconds of a period, or any time before.
Old Mon May 21, 2018, 11:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Re: the clocks and blarge videos, it is embarrassing and painful to see a State Tournament crew making basic mistakes that rookies and veterans are constantly reminded about in pre-games. I can only hope that my crews do not call a blarge, and that we do not bungle the time in the final few seconds of a period, or any time before.
Work long enough and you will see how much it matters what you ultimately say in a pre-game. Games of this magnitude have their mistakes shown to everyone. Working a game during much of a season you might get away with something because there is not live video to show that mistake. Once again, what you talk about in pre-game actually does not mean you will prevent a mistake.

Peace
Old Mon May 21, 2018, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

A wise man once told me to glance at the clock anytime you cross a straight black line (color caveats for some gym floors) and anytime you hear a whistle. Of course there have been times where action is "too" intense for me to do this, or I have (more likely) flat out forgotten. This has been good advice for me in my young career-- especially in those 1A & 2A girls games where dad is too busy yelling at his daughter on the floor to remember to start/stop the clock.
Old Mon May 21, 2018, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Situation where a team calls a timeout with 10 seconds to go in a game. They set up their winning play. They inbound and start that winning play and you notice the clock isnt running. You decide to kill it and start them over at 10 seconds and inbounding the ball. Would you consider giving them a time out to redraw a play since they showed their cards on what play they were doing and now the defense knows what they are running and better defend it. Because the clock operator fell asleep?
Old Mon May 21, 2018, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Question

Situation where a team calls a timeout with 10 seconds to go in a game. They set up their winning play. They inbound and start that winning play and you notice the clock isnt running. You decide to kill it and start them over at 10 seconds and inbounding the ball. Would you consider giving them a time out to redraw a play since they showed their cards on what play they were doing and now the defense knows what they are running and better defend it. Because the clock operator fell asleep?
I would not start them over at 10 seconds as time had elapsed.
Old Mon May 21, 2018, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
I would not start them over at 10 seconds as time had elapsed.
At what time would you restart? Why?
Old Mon May 21, 2018, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

The rulebook says "If an official has definite knowledge of the time elapsed (e.g. by a count), the clock shall be reset to that time". In NCAA rules, at least .3 seconds have to pass when the ball is legally touched inbounds. By analogy, I would subtract .3 seconds, as the error was realized instantly (the time would be 9.7). If the clock does not use 10ths, the clock would be reset to 9 seconds.
Old Mon May 21, 2018, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
By analogy, I would subtract .3 seconds, as the error was realized instantly (the time would be 9.7). If the clock does not use 10ths, the clock would be reset to 9 seconds.
You would do that in an NCAA game or an NFHS game?