The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 04, 2018, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Double Dribble Question

Cannot find the thread, I know I have read this here before. Need some help with an interpretation....
Player A is dribbling the ball low to the the ground and the ball stops bouncing. Player A proceeds to tap the ball to restart his dribble.
Does this violate Rule 9-5-3 "A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her dribble has ended, unless.....?
I believe I have answered my own question, but I would like the input from the prestigious group. Thanks
Old Fri May 04, 2018, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjc3 View Post
Cannot find the thread, I know I have read this here before. Need some help with an interpretation....
Player A is dribbling the ball low to the the ground and the ball stops bouncing. Player A proceeds to tap the ball to restart his dribble.
Does this violate Rule 9-5-3 "A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her dribble has ended, unless.....?
I believe I have answered my own question, but I would like the input from the prestigious group. Thanks
And, how does a dribble end? (right from the definitions)
Old Fri May 04, 2018, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

A dribble ends when the ball is picked up, palmed or carried, touched with both hands, or touched by an opponent in a way that the dribbler loses control of the ball. If none of these happened, then the actions of Player A, as described, are not illegal.
Old Mon May 07, 2018, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Can someone clarify how the fumble rule comes into play. If you considered the ball coming to a rest on the ground due to a fumble, then resuming the dribble as described would not be permitted correct?
Old Mon May 07, 2018, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePaul View Post
Can someone clarify how the fumble rule comes into play. If you considered the ball coming to a rest on the ground due to a fumble, then resuming the dribble as described would not be permitted correct?
Correct: you can fumble-dribble-fumble, but you cannot dribble-fumble-dribble.
Old Mon May 07, 2018, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Correct: you can fumble-dribble-fumble, but you cannot dribble-fumble-dribble.
The second part of that saying assumes that the dribble ends either after the first dribble or after the fumble. Did that happen in the OP?

(IOW, is this a dribble-fumble-dribble, or is it just an interrupted dribble?)
Old Mon May 07, 2018, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

HokiePaul offered the ball "coming to rest" as a result of a fumble. As I picture it, I don't see the "coming to rest" as still part of the fumble or of an interrupted dribble.

My comment was not about the OP, but only to HokiePaul's question, which added a fumble to the scenario.
Old Mon May 07, 2018, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
HokiePaul offered the ball "coming to rest" as a result of a fumble. As I picture it, I don't see the "coming to rest" as still part of the fumble or of an interrupted dribble.

My comment was not about the OP, but only to HokiePaul's question, which added a fumble to the scenario.
I agree if the ball comes to rest in the hand(s). I disagree if the ball comes to rest on the ground (as stated).
Old Mon May 07, 2018, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The definition of fumble is to slip from a player's grasp....from holding the ball. So, if the player had been dribbling prior to the fumble, a fumble, by definition, means that dribble had ended. While the player may legally recover the fumble, the player may not start a new dribble unless someone else touched the ball during the fumble.