The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Double Dribble Question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103811-double-dribble-question.html)

wjc3 Fri May 04, 2018 11:35am

Double Dribble Question

Cannot find the thread, I know I have read this here before. Need some help with an interpretation....
Player A is dribbling the ball low to the the ground and the ball stops bouncing. Player A proceeds to tap the ball to restart his dribble.
Does this violate Rule 9-5-3 "A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her dribble has ended, unless.....?
I believe I have answered my own question, but I would like the input from the prestigious group. Thanks

bob jenkins Fri May 04, 2018 01:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjc3 (Post 1021325)
Cannot find the thread, I know I have read this here before. Need some help with an interpretation....
Player A is dribbling the ball low to the the ground and the ball stops bouncing. Player A proceeds to tap the ball to restart his dribble.
Does this violate Rule 9-5-3 "A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her dribble has ended, unless.....?
I believe I have answered my own question, but I would like the input from the prestigious group. Thanks

And, how does a dribble end? (right from the definitions) ;)

ilyazhito Fri May 04, 2018 02:44pm

A dribble ends when the ball is picked up, palmed or carried, touched with both hands, or touched by an opponent in a way that the dribbler loses control of the ball. If none of these happened, then the actions of Player A, as described, are not illegal.

HokiePaul Mon May 07, 2018 10:52am

Can someone clarify how the fumble rule comes into play. If you considered the ball coming to a rest on the ground due to a fumble, then resuming the dribble as described would not be permitted correct?

LRZ Mon May 07, 2018 10:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HokiePaul (Post 1021384)
Can someone clarify how the fumble rule comes into play. If you considered the ball coming to a rest on the ground due to a fumble, then resuming the dribble as described would not be permitted correct?

Correct: you can fumble-dribble-fumble, but you cannot dribble-fumble-dribble.

bob jenkins Mon May 07, 2018 11:18am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 1021385)
Correct: you can fumble-dribble-fumble, but you cannot dribble-fumble-dribble.

The second part of that saying assumes that the dribble ends either after the first dribble or after the fumble. Did that happen in the OP?

(IOW, is this a dribble-fumble-dribble, or is it just an interrupted dribble?)

LRZ Mon May 07, 2018 11:38am

HokiePaul offered the ball "coming to rest" as a result of a fumble. As I picture it, I don't see the "coming to rest" as still part of the fumble or of an interrupted dribble.

My comment was not about the OP, but only to HokiePaul's question, which added a fumble to the scenario.

bob jenkins Mon May 07, 2018 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 1021387)
HokiePaul offered the ball "coming to rest" as a result of a fumble. As I picture it, I don't see the "coming to rest" as still part of the fumble or of an interrupted dribble.

My comment was not about the OP, but only to HokiePaul's question, which added a fumble to the scenario.

I agree if the ball comes to rest in the hand(s). I disagree if the ball comes to rest on the ground (as stated).

Camron Rust Mon May 07, 2018 04:31pm

Quote:

The definition of fumble is to slip from a player's grasp....from holding the ball. So, if the player had been dribbling prior to the fumble, a fumble, by definition, means that dribble had ended. While the player may legally recover the fumble, the player may not start a new dribble unless someone else touched the ball during the fumble.