The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 27, 2018, 02:50pm
Ok is the new good

Fashion Police

Does anyone have pictures of uniforms/Players (Not cartoons or illustrations) that could be used as a teaching tool for the Fashion Police Rules?

Fashion Police rules seem to be confusing to members of my association

Thanks!
Old Fri Apr 27, 2018, 05:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Photos, But Easily Understood ...

"Badges? We Don't Need No Stinking Badges”

What does officiating the game of basketball have to do with a quote from the 1974 Mel Brooks satirical Western comedy film, Blazing Saddles? When it comes to the enforcement of so-called “Fashion Police” rules, not only do basketball officials not need badges, many officials don’t even want badges. Officials love the challenge of calling a great game: block or charge; advantage/disadvantage on fouls; working with a good partner to get all out of bounds calls correct, etc. That said, many officials don't relish telling players that they can’t participate while wearing an illegal color undershirt, or an illegal color headband.

Yet, the National Federation of State High School Associations, the International Association of Approved Basketball Officials, and state associations (state interscholastic sports governing bodies), want these equipment rules enforced, that is why they are in the rulebook.

The NFHS made changes to equipment restriction rules over the past few years that often confused some officials. In an effort to simplify the rules, references to “school color” have now been completely removed from the rulebook. Tights are now allowed, and compression shorts are to be treated the same as any other equipment item (compression shorts must no longer be the same color as the uniform shorts but now must be the solid color black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the uniform jersey).

Rules regarding undershirts are the most restrictive, and should be the easiest to enforce by officials. Undershirts must be similar in color to the uniform jersey. According to NFHS rules, the home team must wear white uniform jerseys. Therefore, the only legal undershirt color for home players would be white, and only white. Players on the visiting team, wearing their dark road jerseys, must wear dark colored undershirts similar in color to their dark color uniform jerseys. “School color” doesn't apply to undershirts since “school color” is not mentioned in the current NFHS rulebook. Undershirts may not have frayed edges, and undershirt sleeves shall be the same length. Note that this rule does not require all players to wear the same length sleeves on their undershirts, but each individual player must have sleeves the same length on the undershirt when worn.

There is a wider array of legal color options for other equipment items such as headbands, wristbands, arm sleeves, knee sleeves, lower leg sleeves, compression shorts, and tights. All of these equipment items must be the solid color black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the uniform jersey. All of these items shall be the same color as worn by each player. Additionally, all of these items shall be the same color for all members of a team who choose to wear them. Again, “school color” doesn't apply to these equipment items since “school color” is not mentioned in the current NFHS rulebook.

Furthermore, anything worn on the arm or the leg (except a knee brace), is defined as a sleeve, including knee pads and elbow pads (must be the solid color black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the uniform jersey). Only a single headband may be worn on the head, and headbands are not allowed to have extensions or tails. Only one moisture absorbing wristband is permitted on each wrist, and each wristband must be worn on the arm below the elbow.

By rule, exceptions to equipment color restrictions include rubber, cloth, or elastic bands, used to control hair. Such soft hair control devices (e.g., ponytail holders) are under no color restrictions. Hard hair control devices including but not limited to beads, barrettes, and bobby pins, of any color, are prohibited. Remember, headbands go around the entire head (and must be the solid color black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the uniform jersey), while soft hair control devices only go around hair and are under no color restrictions.

Another exception to equipment color restrictions deals with knee braces. Knee braces are not sleeves and are under no color restrictions. Knee braces are worn for a medical purpose to increase stability in the knee, and have embedded inserts to support the joint. Knee braces may, or may not have hinges, straps, or an opening over the knee cap. Remember that ordinary knee pads (as well as elbow pads) are treated as sleeves and fall under NFHS equipment color restrictions (solid color black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the uniform jersey).

The NFHS has also addressed jewelry, as well as medical and religious items, over the past several years. Players may not participate, or even warmup, while wearing jewelry. Religious medals, or medical alert medals are not considered jewelry. A religious medal must be taped, and worn under the uniform. A medical alert medal must also be taped, and unlike a religious medal, may be visible.

State associations may, on an individual basis, based on documented evidence, permit players to participate while wearing a head covering for medical or religious reasons. The head covering must be not be abrasive, hard, or dangerous to any other player. It must be attached in such a way that is highly unlikely to come off during play.

According to the NFHS, padded protective headbands (often called concussion headbands) are medical devices that must be approved by state associations on an individual basis, in other words, it's up to each individual state. States that allow padded protective headbands must have proper documentation from a licensed medical physician before the state association can approve such a medical device. Officials should consult their state interscholastic sports governing body regarding guidelines on padded protective headbands.

The best time for officials to observe compliance with equipment restrictions is during pregame warmups. However, if players are wearing pregame warmup apparel over their game uniforms, it may be impossible to observe such equipment restrictions during the pregame warmup period. It’s then necessary that officials observe compliance with equipment restrictions for the starting players as they enter the court for the jump ball to begin the game. After the game begins, it’s also necessary for officials to observe compliance with equipment restrictions as substitutes are beckoned into the game.

Over the past few years, many basketball teams have held “Cancer Awareness Nights”. This often involves the wearing of special uniforms and equipment, often involving, but not limited to, players wearing the color pink. Officials should utilize common sense when dealing with these special circumstances.

Some equipment restriction rules are for safety reasons. Rules that restrict equipment colors benefit officials by allowing them to easily identify players on each team during fast paced action. Consistency among officials in the enforcement of equipment restriction rules will provide a unified statement to coaches. When some officials choose not to enforce these rules, they are only hurting the profession and setting up the next crew for criticism from the coaches, when, in fact, the officials who did not enforce the rules are the ones who deserve the criticism. For those officials contemplating not enforcing equipment restrictions because such rules have “nothing to do with the game of basketball”, in the words of author Roy T. Bennett, “Stop doing what is easy, or popular. Start doing what is right”.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Apr 27, 2018 at 05:44pm.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2018, 05:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Freddie's Not Dead ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Does anyone have pictures of uniforms/Players (Not cartoons or illustrations) that could be used as a teaching tool for the Fashion Police Rules?
https://forum.officiating.com/members/freddy.html

Check with Freddy. He's our Forum Fashion Police Commissioner.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Fri Apr 27, 2018, 06:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Stupid Underwrap ...

Quote:
Fashion Police rules seem to be confusing to members of my association.

The most confusing issue with our local guys here in our little corner of Connecticut is in regard to headbands and hair control devices, often utilizing underwrap.

Hair control devices (ponytail holders (scrunchies) made of rubber, cloth, or elastic bands,) are under no color restrictions. Remember, hair control devices only go around hair.

Headbands, of any legal material, are defined as going around the entire head and must be the solid color black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the uniform jersey.

The most confusing issue is in regard to underwrap used on the head, usually by girls.

If the underwrap is used such that it just goes around some hair, like a ponytail holder, it doesn't fall any color restrictions.

But if the underwrap goes around the entire head, it's a headband, and does fall under the color restrictions for a headband (solid color black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the uniform jersey).

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 29, 2018 at 06:06pm.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2018, 06:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Usual Caveat ...

Of course, the usual Forum caveat, "When in Rome ...".

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Apr 27, 2018 at 06:14pm.
Old Fri Apr 27, 2018, 11:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

NFHS Uniforms ...

As suggested by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.:

http://www.nfhs.org/media/1018789/20...powerpoint.ppt

Old Sat Apr 28, 2018, 08:25am
Courageous When Prudent

Wow, 5 straight responses from Billy and none of them provide the OP what he asked for.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sat Apr 28, 2018, 08:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

A Thousand Words ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Wow, 5 straight responses from Billy and none of them provide the OP what he asked for.
Quote:
I responded to this (above) and one response was actually from Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., who was having trouble with his Commodore PET (Hey Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., 1977 called and it wants its computer back).

Plus, I did post an image of a Fashion Police badge.

Since one image is worth a thousand words, I have a lot more words to post.

Hey, at least I tried to offer some help.

At least until Freddy shows up with his latest Fashion Police Power Point.

Old Sat Apr 28, 2018, 11:33am
This IS My Social Life

Saw Bat Signal

2017,18 NFHS Fashion Police with Examples - PDF

Anyone want the PowerPoint so you can edit for your own person use, let me know.

Last edited by Freddy; Sat Apr 28, 2018 at 11:58pm.
Old Sat Apr 28, 2018, 04:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Told Everyone That Freddy Wasn't Dead ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
I knew that Freddy wouldn't let us down.

However, I miss his original presentation featuring Manute Bol and Muggsy Bogues.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Apr 28, 2018 at 05:32pm.
Old Sat Apr 28, 2018, 07:07pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
2018,18 NFHS Fashion Police with Examples - PDF

Anyone want the PowerPoint so you can edit for your own person use, let me know.
You Da Man Freddy..That's why you are a published columnist
Old Sun Apr 29, 2018, 01:32am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I responded to this (above) and one response was actually from Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., who was having trouble with his Commodore PET (Hey Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., 1977 called and it wants its computer back).

Plus, I did post an image of a Fashion Police badge.

Since one image is worth a thousand words, I have a lot more words to post.

Hey, at least I tried to offer some help.

At least until Freddy shows up with his latest Fashion Police Power Point.

What Commodore computer, I am still using my Post Versalog Slide Rule.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Apr 29, 2018, 05:38am
Esteemed Forum Member

Why Confused ???

Quote:
Two changes have made NFHS equipment color restrictions easier to deal with over the past few years. Officials who haven't kept up with recent changes are the ones who are confused.

1) The removal of the "school color" choice from all legal equipment colors. Confused officials haven't come to the realization that "school color" is no longer a legal choice for headbands, wrist bands, etc. I don't believe that the phrase "school color" exists anywhere in the NFHS rulebook anymore.

2) The legalization of tights has allowed the NFHS to get rid of any specific color restriction rules regarding compression shorts. Before the most recent change, the NFHS came up some confusing changes regarding compression shorts . At one point compression shorts had to be the same color as the uniform shorts. Then, for some reason, the NFHS changed the rule such that compression shorts had to be the same color as the "uniform" (at a time when other equipment color restriction rules referred to the color of the uniform jersey, i.e., undershirt). This rule was ambiguous, did "uniform" color refer to the uniform shorts, or the uniform jersey? Now compression shorts are treated exactly the same as tights, and most other equipment items (solid color black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the uniform jersey). Confused officials haven't come to the realization that compression shorts are treated exactly the same as most other equipment items (and are no longer treated as a separate category, for rule purposes, compression shorts can be thought of as short tights).

Can the NFHS further simplify equipment color restriction rules? Absolutely, but at least these equipment color restriction rules are easier to deal with than they were just a few years ago.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 29, 2018 at 11:33am.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2018, 11:42am
Esteemed Forum Member

Clueless, Or Don't Give A Damn ...

Quote:

Confusing isn't limited to areas outside of my little corner of Connecticut. We're not immune to confusion. We've got a few subvarsity guys, and more than just one, or two, varsity guys that are either clueless, or don't give a damn, when it comes to equipment color restrictions.

The undershirt rule is the most restrictive, yet the simplest, equipment color restriction rule, yet when I walk in to observe a junior varsity game, I often see illegal undershirts. The rule is very basic and very simple to understand (undershirt same color as jersey), so I have to assume that these guys just don't give a damn.

Rules that restrict equipment colors benefit officials by allowing them to easily identify players on each team during fast paced action. Consistency among officials in the enforcement of equipment restriction rules will provide a unified statement to coaches. When some officials choose not to enforce these rules, they are only hurting the profession and setting up the next crew for criticism from the coaches, when, in fact, the officials who did not enforce the rules are the ones who deserve the criticism. For those officials contemplating not enforcing equipment restrictions because such rules have “nothing to do with the game of basketball”, in the words of author Roy T. Bennett, “Stop doing what is easy, or popular. Start doing what is right”.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 29, 2018 at 06:06pm.