The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 12, 2018, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
The number 1 reason I hate dress codes for HS games. We get inadequate changing facilities that often lack showers.
I've been around the block enough by now to know which schools don't have showering facilities, so those are the days I wear my favorite jeans and pullover or maybe even nice sweats. I'll take baby wipes for a quick post-game sponge bath and clean pair of skids so I don't have to go home or to the ol' watering hole with swamp butt and I'm good to go.

TMI???

Last edited by #olderthanilook; Thu Apr 12, 2018 at 03:19pm.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2018, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef View Post
Is showing up already dressed frowned upon in your area? I don't do it, but a lot of folks in my association do, especially for JV games that tip earlier.
Extremely frowned upon in our area. They are so desperate for lower level officials here it doesn't really matter what they do I've heard. They will still get a full schedule if they are willing to work.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2018, 04:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef View Post
Is showing up already dressed frowned upon in your area? I don't do it, but a lot of folks in my association do, especially for JV games that tip earlier.
With have a few private schools which put us in offices, classrooms, or storage closets. I tell my crews I'm coming dressed to those games.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2018, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
Extremely frowned upon in our area. They are so desperate for lower level officials here it doesn't really matter what they do I've heard. They will still get a full schedule if they are willing to work.
Same, even though there are more than adequate locker room areas for officials at middle schools and at high schools in our area for sub varsity contests.

99% of the time Fr/So/JV officials show up fully dressed, then finish up their games while my V crew is pre-gaming, put on their black officiating jacket and walk out the door for home.

I get all itchy just thinking about it.
Old Thu Apr 12, 2018, 04:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

'Cause Every Girl Crazy 'Bout A Sharp Dressed Man (ZZ Top) …

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
I've been around the block enough by now to know which schools don't have showering facilities ...
We service around seventy high schools. I know of only three that don't have showering facilities, and a secure changing area.

From our local newsletter a few years ago:

When arriving at a game site, people immediately judge you by your appearance. Make a good first impression by coming to game sites dressed professionally in business casual attire. Consider purchasing a sweater, pullover, or vest, with an IAABO logo. Common sense dictates that some afternoon assignments may require officials to arrive in uniform, or in work clothes. Middle school sites may lack secure dressing areas, and may not have shower facilities available.

For most high school games, where secure dressing areas, and showers, are available, officials should not come dressed in uniform, and should not come dressed in sneakers, work boots, jeans, T-shirts, etc. It looks bad, and reflects poorly on our board. On court, the official’s uniform should be clean, pants pressed, all black shoes shined, jacket unwrinkled, and the official should be well groomed. Officials should shower after the game and should not leave wearing a uniform. Doing so could give the impression that the official wants to “get in, get out, and get paid”, which is not the impression that our officials want to present.

Next year I'll be available for midafternoon middle school games (next season, when fans yell, "Don't quit your day job", I'll be able to yell back, "Too late. I'm retired"), and plan to work a few and mentor some of the new guys. I've been talking to some of our middle school guys and they all say the same thing, "Come dressed in uniform".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Apr 12, 2018 at 04:54pm.
Old Fri Apr 13, 2018, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Next year I'll be available for midafternoon middle school games (next season, when fans yell, "Don't quit your day job", I'll be able to yell back, "Too late. I'm retired"), and plan to work a few and mentor some of the new guys. I've been talking to some of our middle school guys and they all say the same thing, "Come dressed in uniform".
LOL....YES....wear that badge with pride! You've undoubtedly earned it. Congrats.

There is some really really bad officiating by young men and women in our local middle school games. However, what that says to me is there is a huge opportunity for seasoned vets to come along side and mentor some of these officials that we desperately need to stay in the game and continue their development.

Good to know you're stepping up. A lot of guys can't and/or won't do it.
Old Fri Apr 13, 2018, 04:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Education Is The Key To Success ...

Quote:
Good to know you're stepping up. A lot of guys can't and/or won't do it.
I'm now working as a chemist (who says those that can't do teach, I can do both, I can do, and I can teach) but I'm actually a retired thirty-plus year middle school science teacher.

Teaching is in my DNA. It's in my blood. I can teach my ass off.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Apr 13, 2018 at 04:40pm.
Old Fri Apr 13, 2018, 04:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Member Expectations

Quote:
99% of the time Fr/So/JV officials show up fully dressed, then finish up their games while my V crew is pre-gaming, put on their black officiating jacket and walk out the door for home.
That would not go over big here in my little corner of Connecticut.

From my local board:

Member Expectations
- Arrive at game site in timely manner and appropriately dressed - business casual, no jeans.
- Varsity members arrive early to observe subvarsity officials and subvarsity officials remain to
observe varsity officials.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Apr 13, 2018 at 04:42pm.
Old Fri Apr 13, 2018, 10:06pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
That would not go over big here in my little corner of Connecticut.

From my local board:

Member Expectations

- Arrive at game site in timely manner and appropriately dressed - business casual, no jeans.

- Varsity members arrive early to observe subvarsity officials and subvarsity officials remain to

observe varsity officials.

In much of the world, nobody cares how the FR/JV officials show up. They arrive, work, and leave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old Fri Apr 13, 2018, 10:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Get In, Get Out, Get Paid, Not Here ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
In much of the world, nobody cares how the FR/JV officials show up. They arrive, work, and leave.
From what I read on the Forum, I agree, but in the world of IAABO, especially Connecticut IAABO, and specifically, my local board IAABO, the education, and training, of new officials, and the continuing education, and training, of experienced officials, is our main objective.

Collegiality and education go hand in hand. Veterans observe inexperienced guys. Inexperienced guys observe veterans. Plays, rules, mechanics, signals, positioning, and game management, are discussed. Positive feedback, and constructive criticism, are offered.

Of course the number, and level, of game assignments, and game fees, are important (few of us would work for free, or want to work just one freshman game a week), but it's not our only raison d'๊tre.

Sure, not everybody buys into the system. We've got a few subvarsity guys that just want to get in, get out, and get paid, but it's a very small percentage.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 22, 2018 at 06:15am.
Old Sat Apr 14, 2018, 09:54am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

That might be true and it still does not change an often bad stereotype. We have locker rooms, so you need to act like you have changed your clothes, even if you hide it well.

Peace
Old Sun Apr 15, 2018, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That might be true and it still does not change an often bad stereotype. We have locker rooms, so you need to act like you have changed your clothes, even if you hide it well.

Peace
Well down here, a lot of sub-varsity officials can't get to schools any earlier than 15 minutes before tip because of work, etc. So showing up in uniform is inevitable and acceptable and quite frankly, the schools couldn't care less and I bet barely even bat an eye.

And in the event I work non-interscholastic ball, I show up in uniform and the only thing I put on at the gym is shoes. None of the powers-that-be at church/wreck leagues or AAU-type tournaments could care less.
Old Sun Apr 15, 2018, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
Why do you need to act as if you have changed, if you don't have access to a locker room? If I do get a locker room, I change there, even if I just remove my regular sweater/dress shirt and put on my uniform shirt. When I don't, I might dress in a bathroom stall or come already in uniform.

Re: "hide it well". How does an official do that?

At least in my neck of the woods, it is acceptable to show up to a varsity game dressed if you have finished working the JV game, or another game elsewhere (Sometimes, an official may be assigned to both a JV and varsity game on the same day. This usually happens for DC public school games.). Is this the same everywhere?
Old Sun Apr 15, 2018, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... I can't stands no more. (Popeye)

I watch CNN while working out at the gym and I've seen this commercial dozens of times.

It's a commercial for Humira. A woman realizes that although she's trying to manage her ulcerative colitis, her fear of reoccurring symptoms means she's missing out on special family moments. At her son's basketball game, she's distracted by her discomfort and must step out, just before her son makes a three pointer.

I want to scream every time I see it.

1) Son, and a his teammates, are wearing red jerseys with the name of their school, "Central", on the front of the jersey. The son, and a few of his teammates, are wearing white undershirts under their red jerseys.

2) Immediately after the game, the son, still wearing his sweaty, dirty, game worn uniform, is standing in line, with his dad, at the salad bar of a restaurant, getting ready to enjoy a post game meal with his family.

Don't kids learn proper hygiene any more? Back when I was his age, after our games, and practices, all of us would shower, and put on our street clothes. I would never even consider wearing my smelly uniform, or dirty practice stuff, outside the gym, especially to a public place like a restaurant.

I hope that the family sitting next to them at the restaurant brought some Lysol, or Febreze, with them.

Now I feel better. Would someone please help me down from this soapbox before I fall and get hurt? After this I'm going to yell at some kids to get off of my front lawn.
Maybe the people who create the ads don't know NFHS rules (I wouldn't be surprised, as most fans don't know the difference between high school and NBA basketball as presented by "expert" announcers, who are likely to complain about "over the back" and "reach" fouls, which do not exist, even in the NBA). I suggest that you educate them .
Old Sun Apr 15, 2018, 09:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Water Color Memories ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
... sub-varsity officials can't get to schools any earlier than 15 minutes before tip because of work, etc. So showing up in uniform is inevitable and acceptable ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
... it is acceptable to show up to a varsity game dressed if you have finished working the JV game, or another game elsewhere (Sometimes, an official may be assigned to both a JV and varsity game on the same day) ...
Even with our strict local dress code, both of these situations (above) would be totally acceptable.

And to think, thirty-seven years ago we were expected to show up in a dress shirt, and tie (a dress shirt, tie, and a sports jacket, for a private prep school game).

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 15, 2018 at 09:59pm.