The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 20, 2018, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I am amazed that this system still exists, to be honest. The double dipping just seems wrong. The coordinator is being paid by the conference to evaluate and hire officials, after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Oh I’m with you. It’s wrong, but as long as assigners and officials are independent contractors (and officials are willing to pay up for a chance to be seen), I don’t see how it will change.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2018, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

I think we can all agree that nobody is a fan of the current camp system but it is what it is. There is big money available to folks who are able to make it to the division 1 level. When that's the case you have to be willing to do what is necessary to get a job. Invest in yourself. Just like people make a decision to invest in themselves in their normal career. People go to college to earn a degree for the opportunity at a potentially higher paying job. People invest in certifications and classes to move up in their chosen career. Does it suck to have to shell out money for camps year after year? Yes but guess what, I'm going to make that back and more when games get assigned. It's not all politics in this business. Name one part of life that doesn't involve politics. That's just how it goes. If you are in shape, can referee and are a pretty decent human being odds are that you are gonna be given a shot. What you do with it from there is on you.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2018, 02:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Oh I’m with you. It’s wrong, but as long as assigners and officials are independent contractors (and officials are willing to pay up for a chance to be seen), I don’t see how it will change.

Make the assigners conference employees. Problem solved?

I have seen HS assigners (with college ties) try to do this with HS games. I couldn't imagine trying to pull this for a game with a $65-$70 payday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Tue Mar 20, 2018, 03:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

With Apologies To Arsenio Hall ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
For that matter, I know some that work small college that just are not very good, yet, they're there. Why?
Same here, not a lot, but more than one, or two. These are things that make me scratch my head and say, "Hmmm".

And how is it that the good college guys working high school games never let on that they're college guys, but the not very good college guys working high school games can't wait to tell you all about their college assignments?

And how is it that the good college guys working high school games have no problems switching to high school mechanics and signals, but the not very good college guys working high school games refuse to use anything but college mechanics and signals?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Mar 20, 2018, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Same here, not a lot, but more than one, or two. These are things that make me scratch my head and say, "Hmmm".

And how is it that the good college guys working high school games never let on that they're college guys, but the not very good college guys working high school games can't wait to tell you all about their college assignments?

And how is it that the good college guys working high school games have no problems switching to high school mechanics and signals, but the not very good college guys working high school games refuse to use anything but college mechanics and signals?
Absolutely 100% correct!!!!! I see it all the time!
Old Tue Mar 20, 2018, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarnYourStripes View Post
I think we can all agree that nobody is a fan of the current camp system but it is what it is. There is big money available to folks who are able to make it to the division 1 level. When that's the case you have to be willing to do what is necessary to get a job. Invest in yourself. Just like people make a decision to invest in themselves in their normal career. People go to college to earn a degree for the opportunity at a potentially higher paying job. People invest in certifications and classes to move up in their chosen career. Does it suck to have to shell out money for camps year after year? Yes but guess what, I'm going to make that back and more when games get assigned. It's not all politics in this business. Name one part of life that doesn't involve politics. That's just how it goes. If you are in shape, can referee and are a pretty decent human being odds are that you are gonna be given a shot. What you do with it from there is on you.
For the most part, I understand your point. However, college degrees, certs, classes, etc. contain new material. Go to college for 1 year and they teach you new things. Go to college the fourth year and they teach you new things. They do not teach you the same things in your fourth year that they taught you in your first year. Camps essentially do not do it this way. Go to camp your first year and they teach you new things. Go to camp any time after that and, assuming you learned nothing the first year, they teach you the same things. If you learned everything the first time then they teach you nothing new from that point forward. At camps you are simply refining and once mastered, you do not learn anything new. Camps are more about "networking".
Old Tue Mar 20, 2018, 07:10pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:

Are you a high school official that does college games? or a College Official that does HS games?
Old Tue Mar 20, 2018, 07:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
For the most part, I understand your point. However, college degrees, certs, classes, etc. contain new material. Go to college for 1 year and they teach you new things. Go to college the fourth year and they teach you new things. They do not teach you the same things in your fourth year that they taught you in your first year. Camps essentially do not do it this way. Go to camp your first year and they teach you new things. Go to camp any time after that and, assuming you learned nothing the first year, they teach you the same things. If you learned everything the first time then they teach you nothing new from that point forward. At camps you are simply refining and once mastered, you do not learn anything new. Camps are more about "networking".

Then you're choosing some poor camps. I went to the same camp for a bunch of years as a camper and spent the last couple as a clinician. I learned things that made me better EVERY year. The biggest nugget I learned was as a clinician.

Philosophies change, mechanics and how to take plays change subtlly all the time. If you're not learning anything, it's not a good camp or the clinicians are poor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old Tue Mar 20, 2018, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Are you a high school official that does college games? or a College Official that does HS games?
Can you not be both?
Old Wed Mar 21, 2018, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Can you not be both?
Yes you can but I think the point is you get hired to work JUCO and the guy gives you two games does that make you a college official ? I officiate in a few D1 leagues but the reality is that I'm a D2 guy....

Fred Barakat back in the mid - late 80's would give a guy an ACC contract and give a guy 1 non conference game against a D2 team.

There is an official who worked the dance this year, who once asked whether you were on the staff or the roster ??? What he meant was if you work three games your just a U2 on the roster, if you are working every wed / sat then you are on the staff. I strive to be on staffs.....

Last edited by Multiple Sports; Wed Mar 21, 2018 at 01:06am.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2018, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Philosophies change, mechanics and how to take plays change subtlly all the time. If you're not learning anything, it's not a good camp or the clinicians are poor.

This is the most important reason to go to camp - it's to stay current. The pace of change may not be fast, but if you let it go for more than a year or two, you're going to be behind and a little out of touch (and maybe more than a little the longer you don't go). Camp's where we start to set the tone for the year to come; it's where we get some common understanding of things that we then all go use in our pregame in the next year, etc. So in pregame, we're not explaining new topics, we're referring back to prior learning.

Last year, my third child was due the week of the camp run by the supervisor in my highest league, and ended up being born (2 weeks late) the weekend of the other major camp in our area. So I didn't go to camp in 2017, and let me tell you: I felt the difference. Just 1 summer of not talking the talk and running the floor with everybody for 1 or 2 weekends, and I could tell I was behind. It worked out fine, but you have to stay current.

I'm likely never going to climb higher than I am today, because the places where I'd get seen by next-level supervisors are places I'm not willing to spend my time, money, or spousal indulgence to go. I'm in no way bothered by that; if I went for it, maybe it'd work out, maybe not, but my choices mean my life isn't cut out for that chase! And that's fine!

But I WILL keep going to camp as long as I'm trying to referee, because the feeling this fall of not having that edge, of not being on top of everything, SUCKED.

Last edited by mtn335; Wed Mar 21, 2018 at 01:23am. Reason: rephrase
Old Wed Mar 21, 2018, 07:30am
Esteemed Forum Member

What's It Gonna Be Boy ??? (Meat Loaf, 1977) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
Great question. Makes one think.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Mar 21, 2018, 07:35am
Esteemed Forum Member

A Players Viewpoint ...

I was a middle school basketball coach for over 25 years. Being a low paid teacher, I coached at players camps in the summer, some run by colleges, some run by high school coaches, some day camps, some overnight camps.

Do the players improve their skills? Not really, you can't do that in a week. Most players are there to impress their high school coach, who encourage their players to attend the camps that they coach at (I know, I was the parent of such a player), a real conflict of interest. College head coaches use these camps to make available extra pay to their assistants, as well as to their college players (apparently legal at the time).

Do the coaches at said camps really care about improving player's skills? No. Coaches can’t wait for the week to end, get paid, and get back to enjoying their summer.

Working at such camps always left a bad taste in my mouth. I finally stopped working at them, and made my summer money tending bar at a local golf course.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Mar 21, 2018 at 07:39am.
Old Wed Mar 21, 2018, 08:10am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I use pretty much the same exact mechanics and signals that I use working college games as I do when I work high school games. There are not even that many differences other than what you describe as a foul.

The problem is that people that watch college often have no idea what the books say either way.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 21, 2018, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I use pretty much the same exact mechanics and signals that I use working college games as I do when I work high school games. There are not even that many differences other than what you describe as a foul.

The problem is that people that watch college often have no idea what the books say either way.

Peace
Yeah, there really aren't that many differences between men's college and high school in terms of mechanics or signaling. The biggest difference is going opposite versus tableside, and I've never worked with a college guy that tried to pull that stunt.

Foul reporting? In high school most states want you to hustle and come to a stop, which is exactly what the CCA manual requires. Now that high school uses two hands, that's one less difference there, too.

If I work with a college guy that wants to use the "walled up" signal or some other non-NFHS auxiliary signal, or does some minor variation from what's explicitly spelled out in the NFHS Manual, that really doesn't bother me. Not sure why some officials get so worked up about it that they ignore the fact that some of the college officials working high school are great partners.