The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Why Aren't You On TV? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103702-why-arent-you-tv.html)

NCAAREF Mon Mar 19, 2018 03:25pm

Why Aren't You On TV?

This time of year especially I am always amazed by all the high school, JUCO and lower level college officials who criticize the officials doing the NCAA Tournament, and often times correcting the calls and decisions they make. If you're so good...why aren't you on TV?

UNIgiantslayers Mon Mar 19, 2018 03:32pm

I'm too short.

crosscountry55 Mon Mar 19, 2018 03:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers (Post 1019350)
I'm too short.

Candidate for one-liner of the year right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crosscountry55 Mon Mar 19, 2018 03:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCAAREF (Post 1019349)
This time of year especially I am always amazed by all the high school, JUCO and lower level college officials who criticize the officials doing the NCAA Tournament, and often times correcting the calls and decisions they make. If you're so good...why aren't you on TV?

Our collection of March trolls indeed criticize. The rest of us prefer the term “evaluate.” Would we do better? Probably not. But we talk about plays in the hopes of *getting* better.

We’re not as good as you give us credit for. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJP Mon Mar 19, 2018 03:52pm

Quote:

I'm too short.

That's a....low blow. :D

Raymond Mon Mar 19, 2018 04:15pm

Quote:

I've worked with 3 Final Four officials during my modest career, and I've worked or camped with a few of the fellas who worked over the last week. They are human, trust me. They occasionally get calls wrong. There are a few folks in here whom I know have better rules knowledge.

BillyMac Mon Mar 19, 2018 04:40pm

Well Played ...

Quote:

I'm too short.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1019351)
Candidate for one-liner of the year right there.

I don't now if the Forum presents that award, but we do present a Post O' The Week Award, and a Post O' The Month Award.

UNIgiantslayers's post gets my nomination for both awards.

BillyMac Mon Mar 19, 2018 04:42pm

News, Sports, Weather, Traffic ...

Quote:

If you're so good, why aren't you on TV?

I've been told that I have a face that's perfect for radio.

bucky Mon Mar 19, 2018 04:46pm

Can't be on TV unless you are part of the network. In addition, there are not enough slots. Also, many fail to meet the minimum requirements by either forgetting or not having the desire. I've seen officials under D1 levels that I thought were better than who is on TV. Mind you, there are not many. The guys on TV are great and they get hundreds of calls/mechanics/rules/etc correct. So many correct, that we cannot post about them. So, we post about the few "mistakes" that we think they make, not in an effort to criticize/embarrass but rather to learn. Learning by the mistakes of others can be very useful. Anyone here going to turn their back to a player? Anyone here going to misinterpret the ball-stuck-in-net situation? Probably not.

mattmets Mon Mar 19, 2018 05:30pm

Quote:

I'm too short.

/thread

The_Rookie Mon Mar 19, 2018 07:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1019362)
Anyone here going to turn their back to a player?

Teddy V not here to defend himself:)

The_Rookie Mon Mar 19, 2018 07:12pm

;)
Quote:

I am on TV..just not the channels you are watching;)

Rich Mon Mar 19, 2018 07:21pm

Quote:

I'm too short.

And sadly, there won't be a reply to that from the person you're referring to since he got booted after a PM I received.

Blindolbat Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:27am

Quote:

For one, video availability is highest at this level. That allows us all to look and analyze and learn. Everyone here knows that speed, angles, all have impacts on making calls correct or not. I know I look first to see why the official may have made the right call, not if they missed it. But watching video and trying to improve is one of the tools all officials are encouraged to use. I don't know any official worth a lick that has ever thought they've had a perfect game. Good yes. Great yes. Perfect no. And getting better through criticismand evaluation is part of the deal we all sign up for.
And to answer your question, I had opportunities when I was younger to officiate at the highest levels but determined I would be happier raising a family and not traveling on the road 4-5 nights per week.

BillyMac Tue Mar 20, 2018 06:01am

Oh Give Me A Home ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blindolbat (Post 1019392)
I don't know any official worth a lick that has ever thought they've had a perfect game. Good yes. Great yes. Perfect no.

Agree. After thirty-seven years, what keeps me going is the search for perfection. Maybe it's unobtainable, but I'm a competitive son of a gun and I strive for the perfect game every night I put on the stripes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blindolbat (Post 1019392)
I had opportunities when I was younger to officiate at the highest levels but determined I would be happier raising a family and not traveling on the road 4-5 nights per week.

Exactly my situation. I wasn't very excited about traveling throughout New England (and other parts of the Northeast) during the winter months. Driving up to Orono, Maine, or to eastern Pennsylvania, just didn't appeal to me. Time on the road meant time away from my family.