The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 17, 2018, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Vid Request - Sat 3/17 - Kent. vs Buff - BC violation?

With 15:57 to go in the game, there is a dribbler reacting to a defender at the division line. In real time, I say no, but in replaying and going frame by frame, I got BC violation. Official gave some sort of mechanic indicating, I think, that the play was legal.

Dribbler has ball deflected in BC at division line, with ball loose, former dribbler crosses division line with both feet, reaches back over the division line, and touches ball in BC, still with both feet in front court. Player then goes to BC and gains control of ball.
Old Sat Mar 17, 2018, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Dribbler has ball deflected in BC at division line, with ball loose, former dribbler crosses division line with both feet, reaches back over the division line, and touches ball in BC, still with both feet in front court. Player then goes to BC and gains control of ball.
That doesn't sound like a violation to me under NCAAM rules (as I understand them).
Old Sun Mar 18, 2018, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That doesn't sound like a violation to me under NCAAM rules (as I understand them).
Player whose team was in control of ball had 2 feet in front court and touched the ball while being there, giving ball FC status also. Player then went into BC and was the first to touch the ball. Based on that, were the conditions met for a BC violation? lol If not, correct me as I want to get it correct.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2018, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Player whose team was in control of ball had 2 feet in front court and touched the ball while being there, giving ball FC status also. Player then went into BC and was the first to touch the ball. Based on that, were the conditions met for a BC violation? lol If not, correct me as I want to get it correct.
The player was dribbling the ball and the ball had never touched the floor in the FC, so it remains in the backcourt. All 3 points (both feet AND the ball) have to be in the frontcourt before the ball gains FC status during a dribble.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2018, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The player was dribbling the ball and the ball had never touched the floor in the FC, so it remains in the backcourt. All 3 points (both feet AND the ball) have to be in the frontcourt before the ball gains FC status during a dribble.
See OP.

He was not dribbling as it was deflected by the defender. During that moment, while the ball was not in control, the offensive player crossed the division line with both feet. He then reached back and touched the ball, giving the ball FC status. Correct?
Old Sun Mar 18, 2018, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
See OP.

He was not dribbling as it was deflected by the defender. During that moment, while the ball was not in control, the offensive player crossed the division line with both feet. He then reached back and touched the ball, giving the ball FC status. Correct?
He was dribbling from the backcourt to the frontcourt. A deflection by a defender does not necessarily end the dribble. He merely continued the dribble after the deflection.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2018, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He was dribbling from the backcourt to the frontcourt. A deflection by a defender does not necessarily end the dribble. He merely continued the dribble after the deflection.
I had him no longer in control because of the deflection. We will have to agree to disagree.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2018, 02:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I had him no longer in control because of the deflection. We will have to agree to disagree.
Control is a matter of judgement and I could see either opinion. If there is any doubt as to control, I'd default to not calling a violation.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2018, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Where was the defender who deflected the ball? NCAAM rules have some component about "the offense can be the last to touch in the FC, if the ball is deflected by the defense" type rule (I am not up on the specifics).
Old Sun Mar 18, 2018, 08:52am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
If the defense deflects the ball, the offense can touch the ball anywhere and still regain player control in the back court. That's the rule.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sun Mar 18, 2018, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

If I recall, defender's status was the offensive team's BC. Really need the video. It was really close and difficult to officiate on a technical level. Bang bang right at the division line.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2018, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If I recall, defender's status was the offensive team's BC. Really need the video. It was really close and difficult to officiate on a technical level. Bang bang right at the division line.
I don't think that would matter.
Old Sun Mar 18, 2018, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't think that would matter.
I feel it would b/c the ball would then have BC status and Raymond's point would be irrelevant.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2018, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I feel it would b/c the ball would then have BC status and Raymond's point would be irrelevant.
I believe the rule allows the offense to regain control without jeopardy of a BC violation. A mere touch by the offense wouldn't necessarily do that.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2018, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
If the defense deflects the ball, the offense can touch the ball anywhere and still regain player control in the back court. That's the rule.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Raymond is correct.
NCAA M and NFHS are different- NCAA M changed rule on a deflected ball by the defense while the ball has front court status anyone can retrieve if the ball goes in the backcourt. Regardless of last to touch first to touch.