The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA Vid Request - Sat 3/17 - Kent. vs Buff - BC violation? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103688-ncaa-vid-request-sat-3-17-kent-vs-buff-bc-violation.html)

bucky Sat Mar 17, 2018 05:51pm

NCAA Vid Request - Sat 3/17 - Kent. vs Buff - BC violation?

With 15:57 to go in the game, there is a dribbler reacting to a defender at the division line. In real time, I say no, but in replaying and going frame by frame, I got BC violation. Official gave some sort of mechanic indicating, I think, that the play was legal.

Dribbler has ball deflected in BC at division line, with ball loose, former dribbler crosses division line with both feet, reaches back over the division line, and touches ball in BC, still with both feet in front court. Player then goes to BC and gains control of ball.

bob jenkins Sat Mar 17, 2018 09:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1019098)
Dribbler has ball deflected in BC at division line, with ball loose, former dribbler crosses division line with both feet, reaches back over the division line, and touches ball in BC, still with both feet in front court. Player then goes to BC and gains control of ball.

That doesn't sound like a violation to me under NCAAM rules (as I understand them).

bucky Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1019114)
That doesn't sound like a violation to me under NCAAM rules (as I understand them).

Player whose team was in control of ball had 2 feet in front court and touched the ball while being there, giving ball FC status also. Player then went into BC and was the first to touch the ball. Based on that, were the conditions met for a BC violation? lol If not, correct me as I want to get it correct.

Camron Rust Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1019133)
Player whose team was in control of ball had 2 feet in front court and touched the ball while being there, giving ball FC status also. Player then went into BC and was the first to touch the ball. Based on that, were the conditions met for a BC violation? lol If not, correct me as I want to get it correct.

The player was dribbling the ball and the ball had never touched the floor in the FC, so it remains in the backcourt. All 3 points (both feet AND the ball) have to be in the frontcourt before the ball gains FC status during a dribble.

bucky Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1019136)
The player was dribbling the ball and the ball had never touched the floor in the FC, so it remains in the backcourt. All 3 points (both feet AND the ball) have to be in the frontcourt before the ball gains FC status during a dribble.

See OP.

He was not dribbling as it was deflected by the defender. During that moment, while the ball was not in control, the offensive player crossed the division line with both feet. He then reached back and touched the ball, giving the ball FC status. Correct?

Camron Rust Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1019139)
See OP.

He was not dribbling as it was deflected by the defender. During that moment, while the ball was not in control, the offensive player crossed the division line with both feet. He then reached back and touched the ball, giving the ball FC status. Correct?

He was dribbling from the backcourt to the frontcourt. A deflection by a defender does not necessarily end the dribble. He merely continued the dribble after the deflection.

bucky Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1019140)
He was dribbling from the backcourt to the frontcourt. A deflection by a defender does not necessarily end the dribble. He merely continued the dribble after the deflection.

I had him no longer in control because of the deflection. We will have to agree to disagree.

Camron Rust Sun Mar 18, 2018 02:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1019142)
I had him no longer in control because of the deflection. We will have to agree to disagree.

Control is a matter of judgement and I could see either opinion. If there is any doubt as to control, I'd default to not calling a violation.

bob jenkins Sun Mar 18, 2018 08:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1019133)

Where was the defender who deflected the ball? NCAAM rules have some component about "the offense can be the last to touch in the FC, if the ball is deflected by the defense" type rule (I am not up on the specifics).

Raymond Sun Mar 18, 2018 08:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1019142)

If the defense deflects the ball, the offense can touch the ball anywhere and still regain player control in the back court. That's the rule.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bucky Sun Mar 18, 2018 05:22pm

If I recall, defender's status was the offensive team's BC. Really need the video. It was really close and difficult to officiate on a technical level. Bang bang right at the division line.

Camron Rust Sun Mar 18, 2018 09:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1019190)
If I recall, defender's status was the offensive team's BC. Really need the video. It was really close and difficult to officiate on a technical level. Bang bang right at the division line.

I don't think that would matter.

bucky Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1019220)
I don't think that would matter.

I feel it would b/c the ball would then have BC status and Raymond's point would be irrelevant.

Camron Rust Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1019222)
I feel it would b/c the ball would then have BC status and Raymond's point would be irrelevant.

I believe the rule allows the offense to regain control without jeopardy of a BC violation. A mere touch by the offense wouldn't necessarily do that.

ByRule Mon Mar 19, 2018 08:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1019158)
If the defense deflects the ball, the offense can touch the ball anywhere and still regain player control in the back court. That's the rule.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Raymond is correct.
NCAA M and NFHS are different- NCAA M changed rule on a deflected ball by the defense while the ball has front court status anyone can retrieve if the ball goes in the backcourt. Regardless of last to touch first to touch.