The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 05, 2018, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Weekend full of the letter T

Not sure if it was the tournament or a full moon but this weekend was just ridiculous.

Please forgive this is going to be long

I will save you Saturday games but had 3 T’s in 2 games. Not good

Sunday 4 games same tournament
First game out 7th grade boys. On the tip red gets possession and passes up high both players go up for ball and red players gets popped in nose I call the foul look turn and red player is bleeding all over the place. It looked like a crime scene and took 10 minutes to clean it all up. It was a game where green team was far better then red. Red coach starts crying over every play. Well here comes the player who was bleeding checking into the game, partner calls him in and I stop him cause he has blood all over his jersey. I tell coach (it was his son) he can’t play because if it. He throws a fit and sends parent to get supervisor. So supervisor walks up and says no he can’t play with that Jersey covered in blood get him a different jersey and it’s fine. Kid without missing a beat says it’s the refs fault I am fing hurt, I turn to coach and say don’t worry about the jersey he is done. Coach is going crazy, supervisor points to the side and says I will stay close (I think he knew what was coming) we shoot the T’s. Two minutes later partner calls a foul and coach throws plastic clipboard down hard enough it breaks hit him with a T and he again goes crazy (score was 32-12 so not even close) supervisor walks over and again says we are done here ball game.

Second game goes great
3rd game goes great
Championship game for the fourth
Went good had to T up white coach. Blue team set a pic and when point came through he extended foot tripping him. I called intentional foul. He went crazy and asked if I read the rule book or just make it up as I go boom here is your T. He started running his mouth later and I said coach it would be a shame if you get that second T and your team has to forfeit, he was really quiet after that.

It was a long weekend and not doing that tournament ever again

Last edited by Randa16; Mon Mar 05, 2018 at 11:25pm.
Old Mon Mar 05, 2018, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Sit back and relax. Reflect, learn, and go forward. Not much else you can do. The experience has made you better.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2018, 03:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randa16 View Post
Not sure if it was the tournament or a full moon but this weekend was just ridiculous.

Please forgive this is going to be long

I will save you Saturday games but had 3 T’s in 2 games. Not good

Sunday 4 games same tournament
First game out 7th grade boys. On the tip red gets possession and passes up high both players go up for ball and red players gets popped in nose I call the foul look turn and red player is bleeding all over the place. It looked like a crime scene and took 10 minutes to clean it all up. It was a game where green team was far better then red. Red coach starts crying over every play. Well here comes the player who was bleeding checking into the game, partner calls him in and I stop him cause he has blood all over his jersey. I tell coach (it was his son) he can’t play because if it. He throws a fit and sends parent to get supervisor. So supervisor walks up and says no he can’t play with that Jersey covered in blood get him a different jersey and it’s fine. Kid without missing a beat says it’s the refs fault I am fing hurt, I turn to coach and say don’t worry about the jersey he is done. Coach is going crazy, supervisor points to the side and says I will stay close (I think he knew what was coming) we shoot the T’s. Two minutes later partner calls a foul and coach throws plastic clipboard down hard enough it breaks hit him with a T and he again goes crazy (score was 32-12 so not even close) supervisor walks over and again says we are done here ball game.

Second game goes great
3rd game goes great
Championship game for the fourth
Went good had to T up white coach. Blue team set a pic and when point came through he extended foot tripping him. I called intentional foul. He went crazy and asked if I read the rule book or just make it up as I go boom here is your T. He started running his mouth later and I said coach it would be a shame if you get that second T and your team has to forfeit, he was really quiet after that.

It was a long weekend and not doing that tournament ever again
Perhaps he was familiar with your philosophy on calling illegal screens!

Old Tue Mar 06, 2018, 03:11am
Official Forum Member

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...screening.html
Old Tue Mar 06, 2018, 09:21am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Blue team set a pic and when point came through he extended foot tripping him. I called intentional foul.
I'm not being critical, honest. Could you describe the play with a little more detail. Trying to picture why this would be intentional. Thanks.
Old Tue Mar 06, 2018, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
I'm not being critical, honest. Could you describe the play with a little more detail. Trying to picture why this would be intentional. Thanks.

Player set a good screen and as player was dribbling past he stayed still but stuck his leg far out in an effort to trip the player
Old Tue Mar 06, 2018, 04:32pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Player set a good screen and as player was dribbling past he stayed still but stuck his leg far out in an effort to trip the player
Ok, thank you. Without seeing the play, I'm still not sure this qualifies as an intentional foul, but maybe you judged it to be excessive?
Old Tue Mar 06, 2018, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

ART. 3

An intentional foul is a personal or technical foul that may or may not be premeditated and is not based solely on the severity of the act. Intentional fouls include, but are not limited to:

a. Contact that neutralizes an opponent's obvious advantageous position.

b. Contact away from the ball with an opponent who is clearly not involved with a play.

c. Contact that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball/player specifically designed to stop the clock or keep it from starting.

d. Excessive contact with an opponent while the ball is live or until an airborne shooter returns to the floor.

e. Contact with a thrower-in as in 9-2-10 Penalty 4.
Rule: 4-19-5

adjective

going beyond the usual, necessary, or proper limit or degree; characterized by excess :
excessive charges; excessive criticism.

How is purposely tripping your opponent not an intentional act. If anyone sees this you are allowing kids to get away with things that only make your game worse. The referee saw him him doing non basketball movements. I am 6'5" when I go down its a long way its going to hurt.

If it was accidental its one thing. The referee judged it was done on purpose.

Great call!

Question did the kid or coach give you grief?
Old Tue Mar 06, 2018, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
ART. 3

An intentional foul is a personal or technical foul that may or may not be premeditated and is not based solely on the severity of the act. Intentional fouls include, but are not limited to:

b. Contact away from the ball with an opponent who is clearly not involved with a play.

c. Contact that is not a legitimate attempt to play the ball/player specifically designed to stop the clock or keep it from starting.

d. Excessive contact with an opponent while the ball is live or until an airborne shooter returns to the floor.

adjective

going beyond the usual, necessary, or proper limit or degree; characterized by excess :

How is purposely tripping your opponent not an intentional act. If anyone sees this you are allowing kids to get away with things that only make your game worse. The referee saw him him doing non basketball movements. I am 6'5" when I go down its a long way its going to hurt.

Great call!

Shouldn't "intentional tripping" be considered a flagrant act and warrant ejection?
Old Tue Mar 06, 2018, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
ART. 3

adjective

Great call!

I felt he was blocked from the play and threw the leg as an attempt to stop the player from driving the lane. It was my judgement that it was not in an attempt to hurt him or I would have banged him for a flagrant but not a play on the ball so hit him with the intentional. Coach went crazy and ended up giving him a T but player seemed like he kind of knew it was wrong