The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 27, 2018, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

NIT Experimental Rules

From Bleacher report:

2018 NIT to Feature Experimental Rules Including Extended 3-Point Line | Bleacher Report

Extending three point line, wider key, and changing from halves to quarters.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2018, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
From Bleacher report:

2018 NIT to Feature Experimental Rules Including Extended 3-Point Line | Bleacher Report

Extending three point line, wider key, and changing from halves to quarters.
Also shot clock reset to 20 on a missed shot. All for halves to quarters, don't have a strong opinion on the others.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2018, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Also shot clock reset to 20 on a missed shot. All for halves to quarters, don't have a strong opinion on the others.
Why?
I prefer halves.
My reasons: One fewer possible buzzer-beater attempt to deal with, two fewer intermissions, and my personal belief that the game has better flow.

Fouls can be reset at the midpoint (or first stoppage of play thereafter) without needing to end the period of play.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2018, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Why?
I prefer halves.
My reasons: One fewer possible buzzer-beater attempt to deal with, two fewer intermissions, and my personal belief that the game has better flow.
Depends on what they do with the TV time outs--there are already so many darned intermissions there's no flow. If they keep all 4 current TV TO's PLUS the quarter intermission, the game will become virtually unwatchable. If they move to just one TV TO during each quarter, the flow will be better than it is now. What did women do with TV TOs when they converted to quarters?

(Personally, I'm not a fan of re-starting the foul count at quarters, but no one asked me . . .)
Old Tue Feb 27, 2018, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

The quarters are coming. More commercial time to sell means higher revenue. I like halves, but it ain't the end of the world. Same with fouls resetting every quarter and the bonus at the 5th foul.

An extended 3-point arc is going to decrease scoring, so I doubt that'll stay. Maybe they hope to counteract that with the shot clock resetting to 20, forcing more shots.

And why widen the free-throw lane? They trying to create a lower defensive block?
Old Tue Feb 27, 2018, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

I like it, nearly all of them. No real opinion on resetting fouls each quarter, but seems fine if that's what they want to do. Much prefer quarters, like the shot clock idea, the longer 3 pt arc may encourage marginal chuckers to take better shots, etc.
Old Tue Feb 27, 2018, 11:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player989random View Post
The quarters are coming. More commercial time to sell means higher revenue. I like halves, but it ain't the end of the world. Same with fouls resetting every quarter and the bonus at the 5th foul.
Don't be so sure about that one. It has been said the problem with Quarters is they would actually lose some media built in time. And it seems like the committee is not willing to make that change at this point. Not saying it will not ever happen, but the reasoning has to be worked out. The Men's committee does not seem to care what women's basketball does either.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 28, 2018, 12:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

Basketball History 101 ...

Quote:
And why widen the free-throw lane?
The key used to look like a key:

And then along came Leroy Edwards, George Mikan, Bob Kurland, Bill Russell, and Wilt Chamberlain. As these imposing centers dominated the paint, scoring at will, the key was widened, and widened again. As big men continue to get taller, stronger, and faster, the rules continue to evolve.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Feb 28, 2018 at 01:05am.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2018, 01:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And why widen the free-throw lane? They trying to create a lower defensive block?
The wider FT lane and extended 3pt arc are supposed to create more space by pulling the players further out from the basket. The idea is that there will be more freedom of movement and less physical play on drives to the basket and cutters through the lane.

A secondary defender has further to go in order to help if the shooter he is guarding is spotted up farther away from the basket.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2018, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why?
I prefer halves.

Fouls can be reset at the midpoint (or first stoppage of play thereafter) without needing to end the period of play.
I've just enjoyed what its done for the women's game, specifically with the foul count reset. I suppose you're right about resetting at the midpoint, but because that time would vary, I think a quarter break is a more logical time. If they were to switch to quarters and go media at the 5:00 mark, it would be just about perfect for me.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2018, 04:59am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
The wider FT lane and extended 3pt arc are supposed to create more space by pulling the players further out from the basket. The idea is that there will be more freedom of movement and less physical play on drives to the basket and cutters through the lane.

A secondary defender has further to go in order to help if the shooter he is guarding is spotted up farther away from the basket.
I like this explanation. Let's see if it plays out.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2018, 09:02am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:

1) IMHO, there SHOULD be a lower defensive block. This provides some guidance for when the RA does or does not apply. The Men's rule about not considering the RA for plays involving a rebound and quick drive isn't very good as it stands (again, IMHO).

2) You don't need to widen the lane to create the LDB.

3) NCAA-W already use the LDB.
Old Wed Feb 28, 2018, 10:39am
Do not give a damn!!

I am not seeing the benefit of an LDB at all. Seems easy or not enough plays even come into play with the current situation.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 28, 2018, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Widening the lane won’t do squat if there isn’t a 3 seconds POE to go along with it.

Good idea....but darn it, yet another thing to pull our attention away from refereeing the defense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Feb 28, 2018, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Widening the lane won’t do squat if there isn’t a 3 seconds POE to go along with it.

Good idea....but darn it, yet another thing to pull our attention away from refereeing the defense.
I don't think that conclusion follows. If an offensive player is in the lane, a defensive player is nearby (or, if not, a basket will follow within the 3-second timeframe). If you are watching the defense, you will see the offensive player and can count.