The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Lead heading up court- your style?

Question on style/mechanics-- you become lead as A1 dribbling up floor fast Do you:
1) try sprint up along side him/her, looking directly sideways to monitor ball/player. Problem is to do this you are basically sprinting and have slightly less control of your body

2) let him/her run out in front, and travel up court a bit slower, more in control looking slightly forward as player/ball move up court faster than you then slide around onto baseline as you arrive

I find myself doing both, sometimes depending on my mood/how tired I am/hot moms in stands/conditions/level of players, etc. I am just wondering how others do it--
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

If I know I can sprint fast enough to the end line and still get that angle on the drive, go for it. If I know I'm beat, I will stay behind the play and make sure I get the right angle on that drive. Key is to get that open look. I will generally know from the pace/speed of the players if I should book it or stay behind on these situations.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Main thing is to get an angle so you can see any possible contact. How you get there is irrelevant.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

What are your all's opinions on backpedaling? My step-father has always strongly advised me not to backpedal on the court because "that one time you're gonna bust your ass out there."

I know for this specific scenario, it's not an option, but for those times when the ball is sideline and you're ahead of the developing play, I find backpedaling gives me a square view of the action. I am still pretty agile with decent footwork thanks to great DB coaches, so I am comfortable doing it. I know with time/age, I'll stray away from it.

Does anyone else out there open up on the court, at certain times, to get a better angle?
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Backpedaling will make you look like a rookie, in addition to being dangerous on an unforgiving surface. Save that for when you’re a deep wing or back judge in football.

Whenever I see an official backpedal, guess what he’s doing? Watching the ball.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 10:33pm
Administrator

I consider it a successful transition from T to L if I can make it to the End Line without tripping over my two left feet!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Feb 17, 2018, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmay20 View Post
What are your all's opinions on backpedaling?
I'm all for it.

No, sorry, I'm not.
Old Sat Feb 17, 2018, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

There is a story going around here recently about a ref who fell while backpedaling and lost consciousness momentarily.
Old Sat Feb 17, 2018, 10:39am
AremRed

I might backpedal the last 5 or so feet if there is a play right in my lap that I need to square up to, for example marking a 3 point shooter in the corner during transition.
Old Sat Feb 17, 2018, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmay20 View Post
What are your all's opinions on backpedaling? My step-father has always strongly advised me not to backpedal on the court because "that one time you're gonna bust your ass out there."

I know for this specific scenario, it's not an option, but for those times when the ball is sideline and you're ahead of the developing play, I find backpedaling gives me a square view of the action. I am still pretty agile with decent footwork thanks to great DB coaches, so I am comfortable doing it. I know with time/age, I'll stray away from it.

Does anyone else out there open up on the court, at certain times, to get a better angle?
The last time I back pedaled was when I was in high school and was reffing elementary league on a Saturday morning. My sweatpants, the old flared ones, got caught under my shoe and I went over pretty hard.

If you can't see where you're going, you never know what may be behind you.
Old Sat Feb 17, 2018, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

I try to avoid backpedaling. However, my peripheral vision has narrowed with age, making it harder to run sideways and still see the fast break action clearly.
Old Sat Feb 17, 2018, 04:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Good Angles, Old As Dirt ...

(Two person game) I backpedal when I walk, like when, as the new lead, I hold back to help with the press, but then turn and jog (age, and orthopedic problems) to the endline, looking sideways as the ball moves into the frontcourt. At my advancing age, I'm looking more and more for good angles, whereas many years go I would just sprint ahead of most of the players. For some reason, it's easier looking over my left shoulder than it is looking over my right shoulder. Go figure?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 17, 2018, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotationslim View Post
Question on style/mechanics-- you become lead as A1 dribbling up floor fast Do you:
1) try sprint up along side him/her, looking directly sideways to monitor ball/player. Problem is to do this you are basically sprinting and have slightly less control of your body

2) let him/her run out in front, and travel up court a bit slower, more in control looking slightly forward as player/ball move up court faster than you then slide around onto baseline as you arrive

I find myself doing both, sometimes depending on my mood/how tired I am/hot moms in stands/conditions/level of players, etc. I am just wondering how others do it--
Here’s my question....why are you monitoring the player? In this transition I’d go back to what is your primary area? And what should you be watching in your primary? If there are players out front you need to be watching off ball. My opinion it’s better to get to the end line and watch the players come to you.
Old Sat Feb 17, 2018, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Backpedaling will make you look like a rookie ...
This ^.

To me, it's akin to wearing a belt or signaling 3-point attempts wayyyy out of your area because you misunderstood the "mirroring" concept.

If you can avoid backpedaling, do so.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 12:02am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotationslim View Post
...sometimes depending on my mood/how tired I am...
If this had an "Unlike" button, I would click on it.