The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 15, 2018, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
He is now the acting HC with the same privileges as the HC. And since HC lost coaching box privileges, the acting HC has lost coaching box privileges.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Got a rules citation to support that?
If that were not the case, many parts of the rule book would be impossible to follow...
Quote:
ART. 10 . . . Reporting a team warning for delay to the official scorer and then to the head coach.

ART. 11 . . . Notifying the head coach when a team is granted its final allowable time-out.

ART. 4 . . . Notify the head coach and request the timer to begin the replacement interval, and then notify the player on a disqualification.
Does that mean, if the head coach is ejected, there is no one to notify and, as such, a player can never be disqualified (since a player isn't disqualified until the coach is notified)?

If a disqualified player subsequently participates, who do you charge that T to? The rules specify the "head coach".

Also, the book uses "head coach" and just "coach" interchangeably throughout....

Quote:
A player becomes bench personnel after his/her substitute becomes a player or after notification of the coach following his/her disqualification.
Note here is uses only "coach" where the same thing, in a different part, uses "head coach" (above).

For that matter, the only place "assistant" is mentioned anywhere in the book is in the technical foul summary.

The implications throughout the book are that there is always a "head" coach. Sometimes, they use just "the coach". It is just that one the box is lost for the game, the box is lost for whoever is the current head coach.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Thu Feb 15, 2018 at 09:18pm.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2018, 10:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

I cannot even believe that some veterans try to split hairs the way they do. It is just funny on so many levels.

Really, we are worried about if the new HC can request a timeout? WOW!!!!

Peace
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

My take is the following:
Once the head coach is ejected, all of the privileges associated with such a position are lost to the team.
I will not be granting a time-out request from anyone on the bench. I will also not charge indirect technical fouls to anyone on the bench. The team simply doesn't have a head coach for the rest of the contest.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 10:53am
AremRed

Quote:
Once the head coach is ejected, all of the privileges associated with such a position are lost to the team.
I will not be granting a time-out request from anyone on the bench. I will also not charge indirect technical fouls to anyone on the bench. The team simply doesn't have a head coach for the rest of the contest.
Text me at halftime when you've ejected a head coach cuz I wanna come watch that second half!
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 11:20am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Whom will you notify when a player fouls out? Whom will you penalize when they fail to provide a sub?
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
wait-- are you being sarcastic??? I hope so-- previous post indicates clearly there is an expectation that someone pick up on the responsibilities of HC.

"(From 2--1-2002:SITUATION 9: At the end of their pre-game warm-up, players Al, A4, A5, A9 each dunk the ball and subsequently leave the floor and go to their dressing room. RULING: A technical foul is assessed each player. The game starts with eight (8) free throws (2 for each of the technical fouls) and the ball is awarded to B at the division line opposite the table. Four team fouls toward the bonus are assessed to A. The head coach of A is assessed an indirect technical foul for each offense (4) and is subsequently ejected from the contest. Any coach assuming the responsibilities of the head coach for the game would not have the use of the coaching box. (10-3-5; 10-5 Pen)"
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 11:27am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotationslim View Post
wait-- are you being sarcastic??? I hope so-- previous post indicates clearly there is an expectation that someone pick up on the responsibilities of HC.

"(From 2--1-2002:SITUATION 9: At the end of their pre-game warm-up, players Al, A4, A5, A9 each dunk the ball and subsequently leave the floor and go to their dressing room. RULING: A technical foul is assessed each player. The game starts with eight (8) free throws (2 for each of the technical fouls) and the ball is awarded to B at the division line opposite the table. Four team fouls toward the bonus are assessed to A. The head coach of A is assessed an indirect technical foul for each offense (4) and is subsequently ejected from the contest. Any coach assuming the responsibilities of the head coach for the game would not have the use of the coaching box. (10-3-5; 10-5 Pen)"
I'm sure our Georgetown law graduate will find some nonsensical reason why this isn't applicable.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 11:48am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Forgive me while I laugh completely out loud!!!!

All the moralizing about the rules and this is what you come up with?

Peace
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You must be kidding. Normally, you make good points, however, your position on this is utter nonsense.

Consider the point I made earlier....if there is no head coach, you can't legally disqualify any player after the head coach is ejected since the head coach must be notified before the disqualification becomes official. Are you going to let that player continue to play?

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Feb 16, 2018 at 03:00pm.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 12:12pm
Administrator

Quote:

NevadaRef:

I want to smoke some of whatever you are smoking.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

We occasionally have some ridiculous threads on this forum. But this one might take the cake.

I can't believe that the idea of not granting the acting head coach a timeout is even a discussion. And I can't believe that there are actually forum members who think that way.
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 06:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Sarcasm ???

Nevadaref has got to be yanking our chains. He's smarter than that, much smarter.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Feb 16, 2018, 10:20pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Nevadaref has got to be yanking our chains. He's smarter than that, much smarter.
I'm willing to bet his keyboard doesn't support typing in a blue font.
Old Sat Feb 17, 2018, 08:33am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'm waiting on him to tell us the answer to a few questions directed his way.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sat Feb 17, 2018, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
I'm willing to bet his keyboard doesn't support typing in a blue font.
I'm older than MTD, and I don't have a Jr around the house to ask: what does blue font signify?