The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 10, 2018, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

FT Question

NFHS Rules
With about 1:30 left in the game B25 fouls A10. R1 reports the foul and the scorer tells R1 that is the fifth foul on B25. R1 tells B25 that is his 5th foul. R1 then tells the Coach of Team B that B25 has 5 fouls. B25 then goes to to bench. R1 tells the clock keeper to start the 15 second timer. Before B Coach has an opportunity to replace B25, R2 lets A10 shoot the first FT and it is good. B coach then tells R1 that A10 can not shoot the free throw until he has replace B25. He says that they cannot play with just 4 players. Should R allow B coach to replace B25 and not allow the first FT or should the FT count? Is there a rule for this situation?
Old Sat Feb 10, 2018, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Search the interps on this site and you will find this play (I think). The correct ruling should be "It's not one of the CEs, so the FT stands."
Old Sat Feb 10, 2018, 10:51am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbret View Post
NFHS Rules
With about 1:30 left in the game B25 fouls A10. R1 reports the foul and the scorer tells R1 that is the fifth foul on B25. R1 tells B25 that is his 5th foul. R1 then tells the Coach of Team B that B25 has 5 fouls. B25 then goes to to bench. R1 tells the clock keeper to start the 15 second timer. Before B Coach has an opportunity to replace B25, R2 lets A10 shoot the first FT and it is good. B coach then tells R1 that A10 can not shoot the free throw until he has replace B25. He says that they cannot play with just 4 players. Should R allow B coach to replace B25 and not allow the first FT or should the FT count? Is there a rule for this situation?

In order:

1) The result of A1's first FTA stands.

2) Replace B25.

3) Resume play with A1's second FTA.

4) R1 gets to slap R2 upside the head with a 2x4 in the dressing room after the game.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Feb 10, 2018, 10:51am
Courageous When Prudent

The coach saying something doesn't make it a rule.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sat Feb 10, 2018, 12:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

He's Late, He's Late, For A Very Important Date ...

No time to say hello, good-bye, He's late, He's late, He's late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
R1 gets to slap R2 upside the head ...
It's a good thing that this wasn't a one and one situation with the free throw attempt unsuccessful. Now that would be ... I just don't know how to describe it in a polite way for a family oriented Forum.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 10, 2018 at 12:58pm.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2018, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
No time to say hello, good-bye, He's late, He's late, He's late.

It's a good thing that this wasn't a one and one situation with the free throw attempt unsuccessful. Now that would be ... I just don't know how to describe it in a polite way for a family oriented Forum.
FUBAR maybe(insert your own words)
Old Sat Feb 10, 2018, 01:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Can You Dig It ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsonj72 View Post
FUBAR...
"Shut you' mouth" (Isaac Hayes, Theme From Shaft, 1971).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Feb 10, 2018, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsonj72 View Post
FUBAR maybe(insert your own words)
Nah, its Private Snafu.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2018, 06:08pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperbbb View Post
nah, its private snafu.
fido!
Old Sat Feb 10, 2018, 06:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Always Listen To bob ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Search the interps on this site and you will find this play (I think). The correct ruling should be "It's not one of the CEs, so the FT stands."
2004-05 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 3: A1 is fouled by B2 and is awarded two free throws. The foul is B2’s fifth foul. The new trail official reports the fifth foul to Team B’s coach. Before a substitute is made, the lead official incorrectly permits A1 to attempt the first free throw. The officials realize the error and huddle to discuss the situation. RULING: The result of the first attempt shall stand. Team B’s head coach shall be notified of B2’s disqualification. Once B2 has been replaced, A1 shall attempt the second free throw. COMMENT: This is an official’s error and not a correctable-error situation according to Rule 2-10. (2-8-3, 4-14-1, 6-1-2c, 10-5-1d)