The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 03, 2018, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Backcourt exception on throw in

Ok .. I know this has been posted several times before, but I cant find the rule/casebook reference. Bet my partner $1000 (LOL) this was not backcourt.

On A's throw in from near the division line... A-1 throws in and A-2 tips the ball in the frontcourt and in goes to the backcourt where A-2 goes and picks it up. I have NO backcourt here as I explained to screaming Coach B. Can someone point me to the rulebook/casebook reference? I know no team control on the throw in (except for fouls) so one of the three things necessary for backcourt is not there.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2018, 10:37am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno View Post
Ok .. I know this has been posted several times before, but I cant find the rule/casebook reference. Bet my partner $1000 (LOL) this was not backcourt.

On A's throw in from near the division line... A-1 throws in and A-2 tips the ball in the frontcourt and in goes to the backcourt where A-2 goes and picks it up. I have NO backcourt here as I explained to screaming Coach B. Can someone point me to the rulebook/casebook reference? I know no team control on the throw in (except for fouls) so one of the three things necessary for backcourt is not there.
As you can find in many other threads you need 4 things for a BC violation. Team control inbounds, front court location of ball, last to touch in the front court, first to touch in the back court.

In your case you never had team control inbounds as A2 never had control of the ball in the front court.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2018, 11:38am
Esteemed Forum Member

Added Bonus For A Limited Time Only ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
... you need 4 things for a BC violation. Team control inbounds, front court location of ball, last to touch in the front court, first to touch in the back court.
The four elements for having a backcourt violation are: there must be team control (and initial player control
when coming from a throwin
); the ball must have achieved frontcourt status; the team in team control must
be the last to touch the ball before it goes into the backcourt; that same team must be the first to touch after
the ball has been in the backcourt.

(Note: Red added when the NFHS added team control (for foul purposes only) to throwin situations.)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 03, 2018 at 11:41am.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2018, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Padding your stats

Billy,

Thanks for reiterating what AR said ......another fine example of you padding your total number of posts.
Shouldnt you be in the middle of an 8 game day with hot moms that arent interested in your slide rule....
Old Sat Feb 03, 2018, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

The title of this thread is erroneous. The "exception" to the backcourt rule (i.e. the four requirements) refers to the three situations in which an airborne player can catch the ball and land in the backcourt (throw-in, jump ball, or while on defense).

In the OP, there was never "true" team control (i.e. team control for violation purposes) in the frontcourt, so it's not an "exception"–it's just not a violation.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2018, 01:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

From The List ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
The title of this thread is erroneous. The "exception" to the backcourt rule (i.e. the four requirements) refers to the three situations in which an airborne player can catch the ball and land in the backcourt (throw-in, jump ball, or while on defense).
Good point.

During a throwin, or jump ball, any player; or a defensive player, in making a steal; may legally jump from his, or her, frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor, and return to the floor with one, or both, feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing, and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt, or the backcourt. These three situations are not backcourt violations.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Feb 03, 2018, 01:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Chick Magnet ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Billy, Thanks for reiterating what AR said, another fine example of you padding your total number of posts. Shouldn't you be in the middle of an 8 game day with hot moms that aren't interested in your slide rule.
That's the only way, by padding my stats, that I can maintain my Esteemed Forum Member status.

Hot single moms aren't interested in slide rules any more, that became passé back in the 1970's when calculators became common.

As a hobby, I take photos of sunspots. Now, sunspot photos are a real chick magnet. Yes they are.

Great pickup line: "Would you like to come up to my place and see my etchings, I mean, my sunspot photos?" Works every time.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Feb 03, 2018 at 02:30pm.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2018, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks to all. I guess you are correct also because it is
not an "exception". Knew I had it correct and can scare me that my partner didn't. End of a close game/last possession could cost someone a win.
Old Sat Feb 03, 2018, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno View Post

SITUATION 5: A1 has the ball for an end-line throw-in in his/her frontcourt. A1’s pass to A2, who is in the frontcourt standing near the division line, is high and deflects off A2’s hand and goes into Team A’s backcourt. A2 is then the first to control the ball in Team A’s backcourt. RULING: Legal. There is no backcourt violation since player and team control had not yet been established in Team A’s frontcourt before the ball went into Team A’s backcourt. The throw-in ends when A2 legally touches the ball, but the backcourt count does not start until A2 gains control in his/her backcourt. (4-12-2d; 9-9)

You're welcome. Send me part of your winnings.