The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 31, 2018, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Referee attacked by coach, coach’s son

College coach, son accused of attacking referee after game

Some people don’t even deserve to be on a court, or sideline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Jan 31, 2018, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like the official involved may be culpable, as well.

Will be interesting to see how this turns out.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2018, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

More details in this story:

‘You want to go?’ Charges filed against father/son who are coach/manager after fight with ref | FOX6Now.com
Old Wed Jan 31, 2018, 04:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post

Reading the latest link, I don't see anywhere in there how the official is somewhat culpable. The coach's story about receiving 2 T's doesn't even make sense.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2018, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Reading the latest link, I don't see anywhere in there how the official is somewhat culpable. The coach's story about receiving 2 T's doesn't even make sense.
Same for me, after reading that second link. The eyewitness account of the event said he/she didn't see the official throw any punches.

This looks badly for Mr. and Jr. Coaching Guys.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2018, 05:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post

So the official got tracked down after the game. Now if your suggestion is he threw the first punch, well if you track someone down, you better hope they do not respond. There should be no time where you are trying to find an official. Also, this is the account of the coach and his son, which if you are confronting an official after the game, you are already on thin ice. Maybe that is why the coach resigned.

It also appears that they have wiped out the record of either of the two being apart of the team.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Wed Jan 31, 2018 at 05:26pm.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2018, 05:30pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
So the official got tracked down after the game. Now if your suggestion is he threw the first punch, well if you track someone down, you better hope they do not respond. There should be no time where you are trying to find an official. Also, this is the account of the coach and his son, which if you are confronting an official after the game, you are already on thin ice. Maybe that is why the coach resigned.

It also appears that they have wiped out the record of either of the two being apart of the team.

Peace
Agreed. It doesn't say where exactly this confrontation took place, but I can imagine a lot of scenarios where being confronted 1v2 is going to put the official in a defensive position. The way the article describes witnesses "stopping the attack" certainly suggests to me that it was completely instigated by the coach and his son.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2018, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

My first question is if there was that many problems during the game why did the other officials leave him behind and not walk with him?

It is disgusting that the coach tried to justify his actions by bringing race into it.

The coach should receive a lifetime ban from ever coaching again.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2018, 10:30am
Get away from me, Steve.

Referee attacked by coach, coach’s son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randa16 View Post
My first question is if there was that many problems during the game why did the other officials leave him behind and not walk with him?

It is disgusting that the coach tried to justify his actions by bringing race into it.

It's a junior college league -- one that is very loosely run in my experience -- that I used to work and walked away from and DO NOT MISS. There are teams that exist in the first semester and then don't exist in the second as the grades come in.

That said, I probably worked 10 years for a few of those schools. I think I had one coach technical foul and the usual bunch of player technicals.

The (now former) coach at this school replaced a long-time coach who actually coached both the men and the women. I worked at least 20 games at that college and never had a problem with that coach -- he was classy and so was his staff, including the athletic director at the time, who is a good friend.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2018, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randa16 View Post

I actually saw one of the partners of the guy who got attacked the night after. The other officials didn't leave him. The guy I saw said he had is back to the coach and kid when the kid came over his back shoulder to punch the official in the face. Also what wasn't mentioned is that during this melee the referee got knocked down a flight of stairs (not sure how many).

The story of the accused falls way short when he mentions having to track an official down! He could have easily obtained the name of the official in a different manner. This guy may be more suited to coach in a penal league, lol.