The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 25, 2018, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

GHSA Forces Replay of Game's Final Second

GHSA agrees with Discovery boys basketball protest, forces replay of ending with Collins Hill | Sports | gwinnettprepsports.com

The Georgia High School Association sided with Discovery’s boys basketball team on a misinterpreted ruling in this past Saturday’s loss to Collins Hill, reversing the result and forcing the two teams to replay the game’s final second.

Collins Hill won the game 46-45 when Justin Lee made two free throws off a technical foul called on Discovery’s Kalu Ezikpe, who punched an inbounds pass away to run the final second off the clock. Titan officials were quick to point out the play shouldn’t have resulted in a technical foul, just a change of possession.

However, the game referees still awarded a technical foul and ensuing free throws to Collins Hill in the key Region 6-AAAAAAA game. Discovery officials pursued the case with the GHSA, which agreed that the officials ruled in error. The organization released the following statement on the verdict from executive director Robin Hines:

“After reviewing the incident that occurred at the end of the Collins Hill vs. Discovery boys basketball game, the GHSA has made the following ruling: A misapplication of NFHS Rule 9-4 (pg. 58 in the rule book) clearly occurred when the officiating crew assessed an ‘unsporting technical foul,’ rather than a simple violation, for striking the ball with a fist. Since this was NOT a ‘judgment call’ but a clear misapplication of a rule, play shall be resumed at the point of interruption when the violation occurred. It will be the responsibility of the two schools to determine when/where the resumption of play will take place and communicate that information with the local officials association and myself. Additionally, there shall be no added expense for officials assigned to finish the game in question.”

Collins Hill hosts Discovery on Tuesday, at which point they will play the final second of the previous matchup, likely before the regularly scheduled game. The Eagles will have possession under their basket at the restart, trailing 45-44 and needing to go the length of the court.

The outcome affects not just the two involved teams, but also the other teams currently in a logjam at the top of the region standings.

“For coaches in general, it lets you know your voice can be heard,” Discovery boys head coach Cory Cason said. “Like in all sports now, ultimately you just want the right decision to be made, whether it’s immediately after or after when you can look at it closer.”

The GHSA didn’t initially side with Discovery after it received emails on the subject. But Cason followed up with a phone call Monday to state his case.

“I’ll give Cory credit, he wasn’t willing to let it die at the first no,” Discovery athletic and activities director Chris Hall said.

“I was just determined to get (the GHSA officials) on the phone and at least get them to hear me out verbally,” Cason said. “It wasn’t opening Pandora’s box. It the last possession and it was clearly what decided the game. If they turn around (Tuesday) and they make a shot, they just win.”

If Collins Hill doesn’t make a shot, the Eagles’ record falls to 17-3 overall and 5-3 in the region — which knocks them out of a second-place tie with Duluth and Mountain View. Discovery then improves to 10-11 overall and 3-5 in the region.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2018, 11:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

The GHSA has proven itself to be a shit show. This just reinforces that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 01:07am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The GHSA has proven itself to be a shit show. This just reinforces that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I don't have knowledge of the rule in question, but I'm guessing there's not a baseball-like protest option in basketball?

And I'm also familiar with the precedent set by GHSA in baseball.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 01:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerUmp View Post
I don't have knowledge of the rule in question, but I'm guessing there's not a baseball-like protest option in basketball?

And I'm also familiar with the precedent set by GHSA in baseball.
This is a state thing. My state does not recognize any protests in any sport. This would not happen in the State of Illinois at this time. Heck the IHSA won a lawsuit over a situation in a football game a year ago for the very same logic during a misapplication of a rule, no protests.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 07:28am
In Time Out

Quote:
From the 2017-2018 GHSA Constitution and By-Laws
2.90-Regulations of Competitions
2.92-Contest Rules
(f)-No protests are allowed in any GHSA sport or
activity unless specified by NFHS rules.
https://www.ghsa.net/constitution
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

those goobers are just making it up as they go along, and this isn't even close to the first time
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Ok, I get the frustration with a state association not following its own written rules and it appears, from other responses, that this isn't the first time.

Can we not understand the legitimate frustrations of a coach who lost a game because a rule was misapplied?

My State association does not allow protests but some of the conferences in my area allow protests and this is a situation where I believe some of those conferences would allow for a replay of the final second of play (or from wherever the rule was kicked).

Last edited by biz2; Fri Jan 26, 2018 at 10:18am. Reason: grammar
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz2 View Post
Can we not understand the legitimate frustrations of a coach who lost a game because a rule was misapplied?
I can understand the frustration, but the conclusion (lost BECAUSE the rule was misapplied) is not valid. The game was lost because of ALL the events of the game (including the rule issue).

And, that's a lesson that should be part of scholastic sports, imo. (And, yes, the officials involved should be reprimanded somehow as well)
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

I have no problem with protests of misapplied rules. But don't ignore the plain, clear language of a rule prohibiting protests--that's disingenuous; change the rules to permit them, if that is what the sport's governing body thinks appropriate.

Last edited by LRZ; Fri Jan 26, 2018 at 10:26am.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Does this open them up to replaying any misapplication of rules? Obviously going back to the point of interruption here is a little easier with only one second left.

What if there is a clear misapplication of rules when the game is tied in the second quarter? As officials we can make mistakes with judgement but are expected to know the rules. However, I am sure that everyone (I know I have) has misapplied a ruled at some point in their career. I know a few people have pointed out this sets a poor precedent but really where does it end?
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I can understand the frustration, but the conclusion (lost BECAUSE the rule was misapplied) is not valid. The game was lost because of ALL the events of the game (including the rule issue).

And, that's a lesson that should be part of scholastic sports, imo. (And, yes, the officials involved should be reprimanded somehow as well)
Fair point.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
Does this open them up to replaying any misapplication of rules? Obviously going back to the point of interruption here is a little easier with only one second left.

What if there is a clear misapplication of rules when the game is tied in the second quarter? As officials we can make mistakes with judgement but are expected to know the rules. However, I am sure that everyone (I know I have) has misapplied a ruled at some point in their career. I know a few people have pointed out this sets a poor precedent but really where does it end?
This is exactly my thought! What if this happened in the first minute of the game and they end up losing by a point? They can now protest and go back to point of interruption? Like another poster mentioned, a final score is the accumulation of all plays and calls made in a game. Wild stuff!
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 10:56am
Often wrong never n doubt

In Missouri you have to protest during the game. No protests are heard after the game has ended.

Page 19

https://www.mshsaa.org/resources/pdf...l%20Manual.pdf
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy341a View Post
In Missouri you have to protest during the game. No protests are heard after the game has ended.

Page 19

https://www.mshsaa.org/resources/pdf...l%20Manual.pdf
What percentage of your coaches A) know this rule? B) Can find their rule book in 10 minutes?

c. Following this notification of protest, the head coach shall be allowed approximately ten minutes to use his/her National Federation Rules Book, National Federation Case Book, MSHSAA Rules Meeting Announcements and/or MSHSAA Sport Manual to locate and show the game official(s) the appropriate rule reference which clarifies a misapplication of the game rule.

Last edited by sdoebler; Fri Jan 26, 2018 at 11:22am.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2018, 11:19am

If Collins Hills scores and wins it would seem that Discovery could file a protest with the GHSA saying that based on the GHSA constitution the original outcome should not have been subject to a protest. That would be an interesting response to see.

http://static.boredpanda.com/blog/wp...ictures-40.jpg