The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 24, 2018, 03:15am
Official Forum Member

Granting Time Out Question

I was working a 2-man game earlier today(yesterday), and had a situation I found myself in during a first half press-break that turned into a quick lay-up at the other end for Team A. Still in the backcourt and being pressed, Coach A is allegedly calling time out. I was trail on table side and had roughly 4 players + team A inbounder in my primary. I'm only 15 feet away from the coach and hear nothing, and the fans were relatively quiet at the time.

As soon as I get directly in front of the coach, I hear him say time-out. I see the signal, quickly check the ball status, and A2 has just ended his dribble to begin a lay-up + foul (partner called) on the other end. We end up with simultaneous whistles on the play. Partner and I meet and I advise Coach A was calling time out, but also believe A2 had essentially begun the shooting process, thus the foul + basket. I turn and advise table to count the basket and report the foul. Coach B asks me if I am charging Coach A with time out. I told him A2 had begun shooting process and we were going with the play on the floor - no time out. He wasn't too happy, but I calmed him down with a warning.

I have no doubt of A2/ball status, and believe the foul and shot should be upheld even if coach was calling time out...I saw him two other times later in the game when there was no pressure and he only signled timeout, but zero vernal indication, which makes sense.

My question is: Should the time out also have been charged?
Old Wed Jan 24, 2018, 03:59am
Official Forum Member

If you heard the timeout while the player still had control, yes.

Now, this is where it gets really weird (it seems you're saying the timeout request came after the shooter was in the act of shooting).

The act of shooting only causes the live ball to be extended if there is a foul. A timeout by the team in control of the ball makes the ball dead immediately. So, the shot can't count since the timeout makes the ball dead.

Now, it gets more complicated...if the foul had already occurred while the player was in the act of shooting, you could have shooting foul, but no shot.