The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Was this a travel

Last edited by Coach Bill; Tue Jan 23, 2018 at 12:23am.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 12:26am
Do not give a damn!!

Looks like a legal jump stop to me.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrutledge View Post
looks like a legal jump stop to me.

Peace
+1
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

That's a textbook jump stop.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Thank you! Frustrating as a Coppin St fan, because none of these three plays were called traveling violations on Morgan St:

I think Morgan St play #1 is legal jump stop, which is funny because it was the very next possession after the travel was called on Coppin for the same thing. Play #2 is similar to a recent thread, and is a travel, but rarely called. I think Play #3 is an obvious travel, but i would like y'alls opinion on the Morgan St. plays, too.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
Thank you! Frustrating as a Coppin St fan, because none of these three plays were called traveling violations on Morgan St:

I think Morgan St play #1 is legal jump stop, which is funny because it was the very next possession after the travel was called on Coppin for the same thing. Play #2 is similar to a recent thread, and is a travel, but rarely called. I think Play #3 is an obvious travel, but i would like y'alls opinion on the Morgan St. plays, too.

I agree with you on all three, except I wouldn’t call #3 obvious. I do think it was a travel, though. The spin move (#2) is something we have to get better at calling as officials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
Thank you! Frustrating as a Coppin St fan,
When looking at plays you need to remove your personal bias from the factors.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I agree with you on all three, except I wouldn’t call #3 obvious. I do think it was a travel, though. The spin move (#2) is something we have to get better at calling as officials.

Spin moves like that are ALL travels. Until a huge majority of officials understand that, its going to keep getting missed.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
Spin moves like that are ALL travels. Until a huge majority of officials understand that, its going to keep getting missed.

I would caution against saying ALL. There are some players who may appear to be ending the dribble, but then manage to spin through the dribble with a good hesitation move. My advice is to A) not anticipate the call and see the whole play and B) be mindful of a carry if the player does try to dribble through the spin.

I’d say 90% if these moves are violations.

Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I would caution against saying ALL. There are some players who may appear to be ending the dribble, but then manage to spin through the dribble with a good hesitation move. My advice is to A) not anticipate the call and see the whole play and B) be mindful of a carry if the player does try to dribble through the spin.

I’d say 90% if these moves are violations.

If you go from front-facing to front-facing without a dribble in between...it's a travel. It's awkward, unnatural and nearly impossible to delay ending your dribble long enough to get that next step down.

A couple years ago, I spent the tournament rewinding and reviewing every single spin move I saw. 100% of them were travels. 0% of them were called. The game doesn't want this move to be illegal, and I'm fine with that.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you go from front-facing to front-facing without a dribble in between...it's a travel. It's awkward, unnatural and nearly impossible to delay ending your dribble long enough to get that next step down.

A couple years ago, I spent the tournament rewinding and reviewing every single spin move I saw. 100% of them were travels. 0% of them were called. The game doesn't want this move to be illegal, and I'm fine with that.

We’re in violent agreement on your first paragraph. Without a dribble, they are all travels.

On your second paragraph I disagree. In my area, we do want these called. It’s a matter of convincing officials to pull the trigger when they’re not 100% sure it wasn’t some sort of awesome pivot. Video review at meetings has helped many of us see exactly what you observed. I think that has increased the likelihood of these travels being called around here. Interestingly, the coaches seem to be appreciating that we’re calling it.

Old Wed Jan 24, 2018, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... A couple years ago, I spent the tournament rewinding and reviewing every single spin move I saw. 100% of them were travels. 0% of them were called. The game doesn't want this move to be illegal, and I'm fine with that.
Bingo. I've been saying this for two years now. Ninety-nine point nine percent of spin moves are travels.

"The game doesn't want this move to be illegal, and I'm fine with that" sums it up perfectly. And I concur, by the way.

Why bother calling it when the rest of the officiating world won't, and when the rest of the basketball world thinks "that's a textbook spin move!"
Old Wed Jan 24, 2018, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

For this to be a legal play, the player may alight off ONE foot and land on TWO, correct? If you jump up off of two feet and land on two feet, this is a travel. I believe that this is what the referee saw and called. YES, the jump stop was perfectly legal. BUT, if the player had BOTH feet on the ground and they BOTH left simultaneously, then, landed again simultaneously, is that not grounds for calling a travel, by rule?
Old Wed Jan 24, 2018, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I totally agree with you. I would guess that 80% of all spin moves at the HS level are traveling violations.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2018, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
For this to be a legal play, the player may alight off ONE foot and land on TWO, correct? If you jump up off of two feet and land on two feet, this is a travel. I believe that this is what the referee saw and called. YES, the jump stop was perfectly legal. BUT, if the player had BOTH feet on the ground and they BOTH left simultaneously, then, landed again simultaneously, is that not grounds for calling a travel, by rule?
I look to see when the player "ends the dribble." I personally dont use the term "gather" because it makes people think the ball has to be caught (two hands) before you look at foot position.

I really cant tell from this view on the video when the player "ended the Dribble." It happens quick so I'd likely pass on it. As I've said before, it doesnt do the game any good to be the only guy on the floor calling travel. My partners arent going to analyze it/split hairs on it. You are right, if the dribble has ended with 2 feet on the floor..player cannot jump off those and land with ball. If ended with one on floor he can jump off it and land simultaneously, no pivot.

When he ends the dribble is key.