The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

At what point...

I come to realize this forum is part improving rules/mechanics knowledge, part therapy. This one might be mostly therapy.

I worked with a guy last weekend who is a good official, nice guy, and does a good job, but our chemistry on the court is bad. I feel like we are seeing two different games. Because of how our games are assigned, I only work with him 2 - 3 times a year. I walk away frustrated every time. This past weekend, I finally said him, "Hey Bob, listen you're good official, you call a good game, I recognize you are wanting to move up the ranks. I am not here to hold you back, I do this for the camaraderie and being involved in the game. I'll work hard tonight to do a good job." His response, "Yep, lets have a good game." After the game, we always post game and while he never complains about his partners or calls, I feel the tension.

I feel like no matter what, we just won't be in synch with one another. At what point do I ask our assignor to remove me with the idea that its not personal, just better for the schools if we don't work together? I'm old enough to realize that in life, everything isn't perfect. At the same time I recognize that this isn't ultimately good for our crew or the teams we officiate.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 11:38pm
Stubborn Member

I think it's great that you recognize that your partnership with this guy is a detriment to the game. It sounds like you should let the assignor know right away. I don't think you should be removed, just make sure that you two no longer work games together.

Officiating should not be a burden. We don't make nearly enough money to go into a game feeling like "damn, I don't want to do this".

Hopefully you have an assignor that doesn't see this in a negative way.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Just block him. You'll never get another game with him, he'll be none the wiser and your assignor may even be none the wiser.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2018, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Just block him. You'll never get another game with him, he'll be none the wiser and your assignor may even be none the wiser.
You do realize that many (most?) assigners don't just allow officials to block partners no questions asked, right?
Old Wed Jan 24, 2018, 04:31am
Official Forum Member

Pack,

As a hs assigner I would suggest that you NOT BLOCK partners. This is high school athletics and if you begin to BLOCK partners, you can come across as a bit high maintenance. If you feel things aren't clicking and it makes you feel uncomfortable, then have a conversation with your assigner. I'm sure he will listen and appreciate your concerns as opposed to you just blocking him in the arbiter.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2018, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Does anyone know...if an official blocks a partner/team/site who--if anyone--sees it? Or, when the assignor tries to assign that official to a specific site or with a specific partner, does Arbiter just splash some type of notification that something was blocked?

Just curious...
Old Wed Jan 24, 2018, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danvrapp View Post
Does anyone know...if an official blocks a partner/team/site who--if anyone--sees it? Or, when the assignor tries to assign that official to a specific site or with a specific partner, does Arbiter just splash some type of notification that something was blocked?

Just curious...
Assigners control that functionality on Arbiter. They can change the settings to allow or not allow those types of blocks.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2018, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Assigners control that functionality on Arbiter. They can change the settings to allow or not allow those types of blocks.
Right, but if I block some official or some place, does the assignor know who blocked whom or is there a more general message to the effect of "one of these officials is unable to be assigned to this game..."
Old Wed Jan 24, 2018, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Right, but if I block some official or some place, does the assignor know who blocked whom or is there a more general message to the effect of "one of these officials is unable to be assigned to this game..."
I’m sure the assigner can see all official-created blocks.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2018, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Communicated like this, how could any assigner not respect your concerns? It gives him/her information needed to make good decisions going forward. And if the assigned with that partner again, I'd make the best of it, knowing that my concerns were heard.

Good luck!
Old Wed Jan 24, 2018, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

I am curious: what is the source of the tension? A difference in how tight or loose to call games?
Old Wed Jan 24, 2018, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
I am curious: what is the source of the tension? A difference in how tight or loose to call games?
That was my question too. The statement "I recognize you are wanting to move up the ranks. I am not here to hold you back, I do this for the camaraderie and being involved in the game." makes me wonder what part of your normal approach is so out of the ordinary that it would hold someone back?
Old Wed Jan 24, 2018, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Pack, I've done this in the past. I emailed the assigner, and laid it out just like you did. No hard feelings, and I don't think it affected anything other than not working with that official.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2018, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When there is an open slot for a game assignors can see who is available for it, and who is blocked for it. Additionally, they can see the block reason (whether it be a school, time, miles, or partner block) and have the ability to override it.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2018, 01:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am not understanding the issue. It is a game where at most you have to spend 32 minutes calling the game with that person. You do not have to love everything they do. You just have to call the game. I would never block or not want work with someone just because we call something like "handchecking" differently.

I am missing the beef here. Because some things work out over time.

Peace