View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 23, 2018, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

At what point...

I come to realize this forum is part improving rules/mechanics knowledge, part therapy. This one might be mostly therapy.

I worked with a guy last weekend who is a good official, nice guy, and does a good job, but our chemistry on the court is bad. I feel like we are seeing two different games. Because of how our games are assigned, I only work with him 2 - 3 times a year. I walk away frustrated every time. This past weekend, I finally said him, "Hey Bob, listen you're good official, you call a good game, I recognize you are wanting to move up the ranks. I am not here to hold you back, I do this for the camaraderie and being involved in the game. I'll work hard tonight to do a good job." His response, "Yep, lets have a good game." After the game, we always post game and while he never complains about his partners or calls, I feel the tension.

I feel like no matter what, we just won't be in synch with one another. At what point do I ask our assignor to remove me with the idea that its not personal, just better for the schools if we don't work together? I'm old enough to realize that in life, everything isn't perfect. At the same time I recognize that this isn't ultimately good for our crew or the teams we officiate.