The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Getting Your Point Across

I had a pitcher who didn't seem to like my strike zone the other night. I called time and moved around to the plate. While cleaning the plate, I told the catcher to go tell his pitcher that if he didn't like the way I was calling, I would squeeze him so tight his balls would hurt.

When I turned around, I saw that the coach was on his way to the mound to remove the pitcher because of his actions. Later in the game, the coach asked me about my comment to his catcher, but I couldn't recall saying it at that time.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 01:06pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Gutsy...personally I wouldn't do it that way...I'd simply eject him if it got to the point of me feeling like I had to say something like that.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire99 View Post
I had a pitcher who didn't seem to like my strike zone the other night. I called time and moved around to the plate. While cleaning the plate, I told the catcher to go tell his pitcher that if he didn't like the way I was calling, I would squeeze him so tight his balls would hurt.

When I turned around, I saw that the coach was on his way to the mound to remove the pitcher because of his actions. Later in the game, the coach asked me about my comment to his catcher, but I couldn't recall saying it at that time.
You did not say what level of ball but generally speaking a comment like the one you made could get you suspended in my HS association.

Give the coach "his due" FIRST. The coach saw what was going on and went out to take care of it, so you just added "insult to injury" by what you said.

I know coaches can be a pain in the you know what but sometimes especially the good ones "take care of business" ahead of time.

I had an instance where the batter didn't care for my zone. Said a few choice words (nothing to get him tossed) but the coach heard it and said "Blue I have a substitution for you"

In Summary: Give the coach a chance, then if the coach does NOTHING toss the kid. It's better then saying derogatory remarks which can get you in trouble.

Pete Booth
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

I would not have said anything. When you call a couple of them in a different tone and maybe shoot a glance over to the HC, you should get your point across if he has any clue. If he doesn't, simply just tell the catcher to tell his pitcher to quit. But, don't go any further with details. The catcher should know what to do or what could happen.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

If he was making expressions and gestures and I felt he was "showing me up" I'd take my mask off and say "do you want to stay in this game? Well knock it off!" Then if it continued, he's gone! A good HC would't let it get that far!
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

It is a lot easier to fill out an ejection report than to defend a comment like that. If it is to the point that you are going to say something like that, just point him out of the ball park. Not only will your point be taken, the next ump won't have to deal with the attitude as well.

You could have just told the catcher to have him stop. That gives the coach time to act. My guess though is that this isn't the first time the pitcher had behaved in this manner.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie24 View Post
My guess though is that this isn't the first time the pitcher had behaved in this manner.
Nor the umpire, probably.

Unless this is just a funny story that didn't actually happen (I hope).
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
The closest I've come to anything like this is to ask the catcher to go talk to his pitcher before I have to.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
but I couldn't recall saying it at that time.
You should have a CAT scan. Short term memory loss could be a sign of a concussion. Glad to see it came back to you.

Not the smartest comment that could have been made. Good timing on the selective loss of recollection.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Flat out bad umpiring.
Old Fri Apr 24, 2009, 09:21pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I'm going to call bull on this...I suppose it could be real...but it seems like something from the chapter of Please Don't Kill the Umpire...the fantasy chapter.
Old Sat Apr 25, 2009, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Total BS!

I would recommend that no one follow the advice of this troll!
Old Sat Apr 25, 2009, 12:37pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
The closest I've come to anything like this is to ask the catcher to go talk to his pitcher before I have to.
This is pretty much all I do. I will tell the catch, you better get him before I have to take action. I would not say how I will call the game or suggest that he must listen to me.

Peace
Old Sat Apr 25, 2009, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Obvious troll. Not sure why anyone responded.
Old Sat Apr 25, 2009, 09:06pm

Quote:
While cleaning the plate, I told the catcher to go tell his pitcher that if he didn't like the way I was calling, I would squeeze him so tight his balls would hurt.
My balls hurt just from reading such total BS.

I know that if I had ever said something like that, my association would have quite cheerfully given me the boot!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25