The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 08, 2018, 06:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
Thats the norm here and it drives me nuts. "Coaches, help us out on full or 30's" 9x out 10, I still find myself asking them what they want.

Also, I am not really a fan of telling kids "white talk to white, blue talk to blue" Its another do as they do in Rome thing, but where does it stop. Again 9x out of 10, the kid coming to the pre-game conference isn't the knot-head that is going to run his mouth.

I do tell them if they have questions come ask myself or my partners, I want them to know as a captain I may need them later in the game to go tell their teammate to knock it off.

My 2 cents...

"Be good sports. Have fun."

Is that too long?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old Mon Jan 08, 2018, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thats the norm here and it drives me nuts. "Coaches, help us out on full or 30's" 9x out 10, I still find myself asking them what they want.

Also, I am not really a fan of telling kids "white talk to white, blue talk to blue" Its another do as they do in Rome thing, but where does it stop. Again 9x out of 10, the kid coming to the pre-game conference isn't the knot-head that is going to run his mouth.

I do tell them if they have questions come ask myself or my partners, I want them to know as a captain I may need them later in the game to go tell their teammate to knock it off.

My 2 cents...
It's the norm here to ask for the speaking captain, to say "white talk to white, blue talk to blue," to ask coaches to "let us know 30 or 60," and some of the other hackneyed fluff. And I don't say any of it. Nowhere is it a requirement.

We have a combined meeting with coaches and captains here. When I'm the R, the elapsed time from when I start speaking until I end with "Have a good game" is roughly 20 seconds.

Last edited by SC Official; Mon Jan 08, 2018 at 06:20pm.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2018, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
"Be good sports. Have fun."

Is that too long?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

No
Old Mon Jan 08, 2018, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
It's the norm here to ask for the speaking captain, to say "white talk to white, blue talk to blue," to ask coaches to "let us know 30 or 60," and some of the other hackneyed fluff. And I don't say any of it. Nowhere is it a requirement.

We have a combined meeting with coaches and captains here. When I'm the R, the elapsed time from when I start speaking until I end with "Have a good game" is roughly 20 seconds.
I am not frowning on anyone who wants to say any of the classic lines. In my experience, if a kid is a captain and has been for 2 - 3 years through the different levels, they've probably heard the same thing 60 plus times.

I'm more likely to say, "play hard and make momma proud"

I just think we have to realize that kids and coaches look at that meeting as a check mark. Anything we can do to not be robotic is probably worth it.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2018, 11:05pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I called a full timeout a 60 tonight in honor of this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Mon Jan 08, 2018, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am not frowning on anyone who wants to say any of the classic lines. In my experience, if a kid is a captain and has been for 2 - 3 years through the different levels, they've probably heard the same thing 60 plus times.

I'm more likely to say, "play hard and make momma proud"

I just think we have to realize that kids and coaches look at that meeting as a check mark. Anything we can do to not be robotic is probably worth it.
The only line I "frown upon" per se is the speaking captain nonsense. Because 95% of us forget who s/he is (along with all the other captains) five seconds after the meeting ends. And I only know of a couple officials whose personal philosophy is to only speak with the speaking captain (not surprisingly, those officials aren't very well-liked and coincidentally aren't very good).

I don't "frown upon" the other lines, but I think they're stupid.

I've actually been complimented before by coaches on how short and to-the-point my pregame is.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2018, 11:29pm
Get away from me, Steve.

How do you notify the captains that the game's about to begin if you don't know who the captain is?

Funny that this is the one thing in that stupid meeting supported by the manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Tue Jan 09, 2018, 01:18am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
How do you notify the captains that the game's about to begin if you don't know who the captain is?

Funny that this is the one thing in that stupid meeting supported by the manual.
But it is in the Manual, so it must be something they must do right?

Peace
Old Tue Jan 09, 2018, 06:53am
Esteemed Forum Member

Are You Starting ...

Quote:
... speaking captain ...
Quote:
Speaking captain is not part of my pregame, but it's not a problem for me if others do it. A few partners will ask for the speaking captain's number, and some may ask if they're starting (I guess to deal with Rich's comment above).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jan 09, 2018, 08:23am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
The only line I "frown upon" per se is the speaking captain nonsense. Because 95% of us forget who s/he is (along with all the other captains) five seconds after the meeting ends. And I only know of a couple officials whose personal philosophy is to only speak with the speaking captain (not surprisingly, those officials aren't very well-liked and coincidentally aren't very good).

I don't "frown upon" the other lines, but I think they're stupid.

I've actually been complimented before by coaches on how short and to-the-point my pregame is.
In the Captains' meeting, I tell everyone there to show us their jersey number. I have no problem with the "white talk to white...." line. If my pre-game meeting takes 20 seconds, 15 of those seconds are dedicated to the "we aren't allowing any nonsense" theme.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Jan 09, 2018 at 08:25am.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2018, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Who do you know who to allow to ask for a defensive matchup when 3 or more players come in the game if you don't check their numbers in the captain's meeting?

Last edited by Valley Man; Tue Jan 09, 2018 at 11:21am.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2018, 12:41pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Man View Post
Who do you know who to allow to ask for a defensive matchup when 3 or more players come in the game if you don't check their numbers in the captain's meeting?
HC or any player. If I hear the coach tell his team to matchup I'll hold up my partners from administrating throw-in/free throw.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2018, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

OK cool. Actually have a team that runs the Grinnell system and some teams ask for matchup and the book says "a captain may request" and nothing about coach.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2018, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

I always try to get a captain's number and name. Twice in the past week I've used the captain to help with a player.