View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 08, 2018, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

"60 or 30, coach?"

Here's the situation:

Great game between two quality teams that are well coached. Home coach is a great guy, always very complimentary of me. He pulled me aside after I had him last time and said my crew was lucky to have me, which is one of the very few times a coach has said something like that to me.

Home team ranked #10. They come out sluggish and visiting team goes up pretty big. Home coach wants a timeout and I hear a player request the TO. I grant the timeout to the player and ask coach whether he wants 60 or 30. He doesn't respond, he's focused on how terribly they're playing and coaching them. I move closer to him and say again, "full or 30, coach?" Nothing. Look at assistant. "60 or 30, coach?" Also focused on game plan and players, no response. Full it is.

I report to the opposing coaches and my partners that's a 60 second TO, report it to the table and start the timer. Heading to my timeout spot, he realizes I granted a full and starts going nuts saying he only wanted a 30. I say "sorry coach, I asked you 3 times and you didn't respond." He says he said 30 when he requested it, but I didn't hear him request it, I heard the player. I tried to explain that but he was pretty upset, and it wasn't a great way to start the game. Assistant says he said 30 too, but I'm 100% sure he didn't say anything. I was on the far block, so ended up as T on the throw in and he was in my ear about it. I apologized and told him again what happened. Here are a few questions, and if you have any further advice or how you would have handled it please chime in.

1. After he told me he wanted the 30, should I have just changed it? I think no, because the timer was started and this would probably miff the opposing coach. Also, I wouldn't have rule support for this.

2. When they don't tell you what they want, do you go full? I always have and have never really had a problem.

3. What should I learn from this? I feel like I probably could have done something differently, but I just can't really put my finger on what exactly that is.

Normally, I wouldn't really think too much about this but he is usually a really level headed guy and I like him. I feel like I've done a pretty good job of working on my goal this year-- coach communication. But I feel like there has to be something I can take away from this.

Last edited by UNIgiantslayers; Mon Jan 08, 2018 at 10:35am. Reason: Changed “full” to “30” in question 1.