The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 09, 2018, 12:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
haha, yes. I have outed myself as a Missouri homer multiple times. There were some brutal calls/no calls down the stretch of the UF game. This was just one.
Since when does an official use the word "brutal" when describing officiating?

I just don't understand how anyone can officiate and still be an unabashed homer.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2018, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I will go out of my way to keep anyone in the game. But the reality is that when you have big men or the best players in the game, the game goes smoother for a lot of reasons. I would rather keep those players in the game than get them out. And if I have a foul that is going to foul out a kid that is one of the better players, I want to feel confident it was a foul.

Peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I saw the video of both situations. Coach Dawn Staley was being very childish. I get things are not going your way, but she was being very childish with how she handles things. For one the play where she seemed to get upset was a foul. Her top player had a charge right before where it was clearly a foul on her for driving her shoulder into the defender. Then in the press conference, she complained that "No other player that was a candidate for the best player of the year played less in the first half" or something to that nature. She really acted silly in the press conference as if the officials are supposed to care who is playing the damn game. This is exactly why in a previous thread I had no issue with what Teddy did because this behavior or entitlement is again silly. Who gives a rat's ass who her player is or who she thinks should be treating her a certain way. Missouri was kicking their behind and if she coached instead of pouted, she might have won the game.

Peace
I guess Ms. Staley wasn't sure which way the wind was blowing, and which day of the week it was
Old Wed Jan 10, 2018, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Since when does an official use the word "brutal" when describing officiating?

I just don't understand how anyone can officiate and still be an unabashed homer.
So you've never seen a call that you didn't agree with? You've never seen a call and thought, "woof, that was a bad one"? That's all I'm saying. And as an admitted homer in this situation my perception is admitted skewed. There were a bunch of calls/no calls down the stretch of that game that went away from my team when I thought they shouldn't have, so yes, those are "brutal" for my team. Not for one second did I think "these refs are against us" or any other type of nonsense.

So if anyone is an alumnus that cheers for their school, or has a favorite team, they can't be an official!? That seems a bit over the top. My homerism for Mizzou renders me incapable of officiating a high school game?! I'm sure you can guess I'm not officiating SEC games.

I knew better than to comment on a Mizzou thread. I will refrain from such comments in the future.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2018, 10:19am
Do not give a damn!!

I have seen calls I did not like as an official where I am a huge fan of the team. But I do not call those calls "brutal" or accuse the officials of any more than just making a mistake. Actually I tend to think there are calls that I might not agree with, I tend to understand why those calls were made.

And yes I cheer for my team, even been to a Final Four and Rose Bowl in person. And I never go off as an official.

I had an official just yesterday who I respected a lot until yesterday that was at his son's or relative's high school game who was constantly making comments to me and crew all game. He is a mostly college official that does not work a lot of high school ball anymore because he was not advancing. He works small college for the most part and was constantly making comments to us about calls and situations. I was flabbergasted honestly. I thought that was just very unprofessional and the fact that you are an official you should conduct yourself in a way or act as if the shoe could be on the other foot.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 10, 2018, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

I approach my kid's games and my favorite team's games in the same manner.

Just root for my kids and my team. Other than that, I generally keep my mouth shut whether watching at home or in mixed company. Mistakes happen. I'm ok with mistakes in the sense we are humans striving to get better every minute - every play - every game. (I'm not saying be gone with accountability. Don't get me wrong. )

That's part of what I love about officiating and watching other guys/gals work, though. The striving to work smart, communicate and do a better job every time out.

I know there are a lot of officials out there that probably don't share my attitude and approach. That's ok.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2018, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

When you decide to become an official, you're held to a higher standard, including the way you act when you're a fan. If I'm officiating a game and notice an official in the stands acting up, not only will the assigner get a phone call after the game, but my threshold for when I have that individual removed by game management will be lower.

Some would say that's being petty. Tough nuts. Don't act like an idiot.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2018, 12:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
So you've never seen a call that you didn't agree with? You've never seen a call and thought, "woof, that was a bad one"? That's all I'm saying. And as an admitted homer in this situation my perception is admitted skewed. There were a bunch of calls/no calls down the stretch of that game that went away from my team when I thought they shouldn't have, so yes, those are "brutal" for my team. Not for one second did I think "these refs are against us" or any other type of nonsense.

So if anyone is an alumnus that cheers for their school, or has a favorite team, they can't be an official!? That seems a bit over the top. My homerism for Mizzou renders me incapable of officiating a high school game?! I'm sure you can guess I'm not officiating SEC games.

I knew better than to comment on a Mizzou thread. I will refrain from such comments in the future.
No, I never use the word brutal. I try to understand the call and know how hard the job is and that none of them want to make mistakes.

I don't watch games like the typical fan / fanboi / homer. Ever.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2018, 12:59pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Or a novel idea, speak about specific plays and see if anyone call pull up the video.

"Brutal" is not a technical term.