The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

JV coach ejection

This is a verbatim copy (except for names) of the incident report that I filed with my IAABO board last week following my ejection of a JV boys coach. I am interested in your comments:

"In the 2nd quarter, the JV boys coach questioned a call, asked to discuss it with me, I said “do you want a time out because I’m not stopping the game to explain a call to you?” he said yes and took a full time out.

He wanted an explanation about something that had occurred a couple of minutes earlier, I politely explained to him what I saw.

He said “that’s bull crap,” (his exact words), I stared at him in astonishment, my whistle was not in my mouth so I hesitated and stopped to think about it for a few seconds, this happened in front of his whole team, he took that opportunity to repeat it again, he again said “that’s bull crap” and added, “and you know it,” I then assessed the technical foul, I walked to the table to report it and continue on with the game, he approached me and asked what was the technical for, I said “your language and the fact that you did it in front of your players,” he said “what did I say?” I repeated what he said, he said “are you kidding, you hear that language on TV every day,” I said “this isn’t TV, these are high school kids and you’re teaching them to be disrespectful to authority,” he then turned to his team and said “take a good look at that ref, because you’ll never see him in this gym again,” I then assessed the second technical foul for this flagrant, unsportsmanlike conduct, which was an obvious and direct attempt to threaten me and intimidate me.

The Athletic Director was present, he asked me what happened because he didn’t hear anything, I described what had just occurred, the AD said to me “why do you think that’s intimidating?” I said “I’m not going to be threatened or intimidated like that especially in the presence of his team,” the AD responded “well, you shouldn’t be in their huddle where you can hear anything, maybe he didn’t say it to you,” I said “I wasn’t in their huddle, the coach wanted to talk to me, I explained the call, he didn’t like it, and it was as I was walking away that he said it loud enough for me to hear it and it was obvious that he wanted me to hear it, and I did hear it,” the AD then said “I’ll give you a choice, take back your call or I’ll rip up your voucher for tonight and your partner can finish the game, it’s your choice, Bob,” I said “I am standing with my call, I want the coach out of the gym and I have every intention of finishing the game and I will report this tomorrow.”

I told the coach to leave the gym several times, but he refused, and no one did anything to enforce my call. The game was stopped for 10-15 minutes while all of this was occurring because the coach would not leave the gym.

I consider the coach’s conduct to be flagrant and unsportsmanlike in using vulgar language to me in publicly challenging a call that I had made, and threatening and attempting to intimidate me in the presence of his players with his veiled threat to prevent me from ever working in that school again. I consider the AD’s conduct to be flagrant and unsportsmanlike in threatening to rip up my voucher, and attempting to influence me to change a call by threatening not to pay me for the game if I didn’t reverse my call."

Bythe way, the AD called me the next day to apologize. The coach was suspended for 2 games. My partner later told me that the AD expected good calls for the home team because "I'm the one who signs the vouchers." My partner also told me that he has been working at this school for 8 years and this coach has a history of discourtesy to officials, which, unfortunately, everyone seems to put up with.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Good for you. Looks like this guy was trying to do his best Bobby Knight impersonation, and you wouldn't have any of it. The second T was especially warranted. If I was the AD, I'd consider having that guy replaced.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

I would have addressed the first "that's bull crap" comment without a T (although it still could have escalated into one later, I understand).

The second T was justified, imo.,

Where was your partner after the T? What happened with the game?
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 09:24am
In Memoriam

Great job, Robert. Actions like that benefit all sports officials. May I suggest that you also ask your IAABO board to send a copy of your report to the principal of that school as well as to their school board. If they won't, you do it.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I would have addressed the first "that's bull crap" comment without a T (although it still could have escalated into one later, I understand).
He ignored the first bull crap comment. The second one in a row is what got him the first T.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 09:25am

Good report. The Ad's behavior was worse than his coaches. Even with the apology I'd scratch the school and never go back until the AD is gone.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins

The second T was justified, imo.,

Where was your partner after the T? What happened with the game?
What he said...without being there though, none of us know for sure the "tone" that was used. With that said, I personally don't consider this profanity. Probably disrespectful, but not profane. Considering where it went from here though, it was only a matter of time before the coach did something else to warrant one anyway....did you point out to the AD that he would have to have the little scraps of paper cleaned up by the end of the time out or it would be a delay of game warning??
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

10 minutes for the coach to leave? Isn't that grounds for a forfeit?
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews
What he said...without being there though, none of us know for sure the "tone" that was used. With that said, I personally don't consider this profanity. Probably disrespectful, but not profane.
I'm not going to make a judgement call on whether it was profane or not. To me, it doesn't make a difference. It was unsportsmanlike.

I had a coach tell me a call was (verbatim) "complete B.S." last weekend. I whacked him for it. Granted, this was based on his behavior throughout the entire first half which culminated in this exchange, but I consider statements like bullcrap, B.S., pathetic, worthless, etc completely unneccessary and unsportsmanlike.

Coaches don't realize that they're going to get a LOT more traction with me by being calm and explaining their side of the argument then by throwing out language that 13-year-olds use. I know you're not being constructive or objective with your arguments when you start using teenager language, thus, I have to treat you like a teenager.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Great job, Robert. Actions like that benefit all sports officials. May I suggest that you also ask your IAABO board to send a copy of your report to the principal of that school as well as to their school board. If they won't, you do it.
I agree. We will never be able to change the mentally of the coaches, parents, fans and children of disrespecting the officials and ultimately the game if more officials do not stand their ground. When this action is allowed, the children think that it is acceptable behavior. IMO the fans, parents and children feed directly off the action of the coaches. Simply put, they follow his lead. If the coach would respect the officials, then I believe the crowd would follow suite.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Well done.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75
10 minutes for the coach to leave? Isn't that grounds for a forfeit?
I was thinking the same thing. Were they notified that if the coach didn't leave, the game would be forfeited?
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Ref12
I had a coach tell me a call was (verbatim) "complete B.S." last weekend. I whacked him for it.
I have heard from more than one camp, when dealing with game managment issues, there is a difference between "that was a bs call" and "you are a bs official".... Again not judging, because you did say that it was a culmination of events, just throwing out some more discussion fodder
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Thought this was handled fantastically......from beginning to end, even passing on the first "bull crap" comment....Even though it took awhile for him to leave the court, I'm glad you stuck with it and didn't declare a forfeit even though you could have.....a well-earned $25, or whatever they pay you there
Old Thu Feb 15, 2007, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews
I have heard from more than one camp, when dealing with game managment issues, there is a difference between "that was a bs call" and "you are a bs official".... Again not judging, because you did say that it was a culmination of events, just throwing out some more discussion fodder
Good point. I should point out that this particular coach's comments were directed toward my partner and I specifically, not to our calls in general. My partner told me after the game that he caught a few "You guys are pathetic" throughout the game, but apparently didn't feel the need to whack him as well.